Batman R.I.P. - SPOILERS

Koete

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the art was great.

As for what happened,

we've jumped ahead to Final Crisis. Batman has been captured by Darkseid's forces. They're using The Lump (a New God) to syphon Bruce's memories so that Darkseid can create an army of Batmen who answer to his will. The ultimate good is being used for the purposes of the ultimate evil. The issue chronologically follows Batman's history, from Batman's birth, to Robin's origin, through the Golden Age, the fifties, and the sixites. Bruce senses The Lump's presence, where it goes into the alternate history Alfred (really The Lump) wrote, where Batman was never born.

Well thanks for the info Koete, it makes a lot more sense now.

I have to say I like the cover, though I'm not a fan of the art it seems really "Scratchy" to me if that makes sense.

But each to their own.

Time to go off topic:

Bit of a rant but why can't comics be self contained anymore, I mean if I want to understand what was going on I had to come on here and ask, see if someone posted some real info on Wikipedia, or if I had no internet access I may just say "F**k Batman"

I mean story arcs are great, as they deepen the mythology and give the characters artists and writers the chance to shine.

But having a story that requires me to have read this and that even though I only want to read batman is a bit shit.

I mean me as in myself and other people who just want to read one comic a month and not a shitload just to understand one.

Unfortunately, that's just how comics are now. It's not limited to Batman books.

I know. It's shit.

I mean comics always need new readers to prosper, same with videogames.

How the hell are you going to get new readers to pick up comics when you have to say too them:

"Oh it's a great story..."

"Great, I'll get it...."

"Oh, you need to get issues 234-237 as well"

It's almost like having a car, where you have to get a shitload of things before you can even drive.

To be fair to Morrison, most of his run has been self-contained. Okay, yeah, there was that bloated Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul crossover, but other than that, all you've needed to read is Batman to get the story. Despite DC's best efforts to make more money, you didn't need to read all those other books with the R.I.P. banner, just Batman. I can see where it might confuse you now because he's getting Batman up to speed with Final Crisis, but before that, it's all been in Batman.

Yeah, your right Koete.

I'm more annoyed about comics doing the whole crossover to actual get what the hell is going on in general now, rather than Morrisons run on Batman.

As he did introduce Jezebel Jet and kill her off during his run and did call back to Damian and the Man-Bat-Ninjas. All in the final part of R.I.P

Yeah, your right Koete.

I'm more annoyed about comics doing the whole crossover to actual get what the hell is going on in general now, rather than Morrisons run on Batman.

As he did introduce Jezebel Jet and kill her off during his run and did call back to Damian and the Man-Bat-Ninjas. All in the final part of R.I.P

I agree with you on the crossovers, comics are pretty much event centric at this point.

And yep, Morrison called back to everything in his run. In fact, I think he called back to his entire run in "Last Rites" alone.

Retelling of the origin of Robin (Batman's "son") = Batman meeting Damian

Jokercopter from the Silver Age = Jokercopter in "Batman and Son"

Romance between Batman and Batwoman = Romance between Bruce and Jezebel Jet

Batman not telling Batwoman he loved her when she told him = Batman knowing Jezebel was involved with the Black Glove

Bat-Radia (from the original story) and Thomas Wayne's Batman costume in the same panel = R.I.P.

Batman's theories about Joker = Batman #663

Yeah, as a writer myself(Pause for everyone to laugh) I love doing callbacks as it makes your script feel smarter and it gives the audience the feeling that they are smart for noticing the callback.

Same for stand up comedy. Callbacks in stand up performances and writing that aren't thrown right in your face with a flashback like Saw are great as they make you think about the story or the joke.

• 3 weeks later...

Right read the end of Morrisons current run on Batman.

Have to things,

Koete(Or anyone else who knows what's going on) could you explan what the hell I just read?

Is the Denny O'neil written issue of Detective out yet?

Cause i can't find it.

I know he's meant to write one detctive and one batman, or two detectives, but i thought it would be out this week.

I liked this issue of Batman, even though I barely understood what was going on, it was entertaining to me.

Right read the end of Morrisons current run on Batman.

Have to things,

Koete(Or anyone else who knows what's going on) could you explan what the hell I just read?

Is the Denny O'neil written issue of Detective out yet?

Cause i can't find it.

I know he's meant to write one detctive and one batman, or two detectives, but i thought it would be out this week.

I liked this issue of Batman, even though I barely understood what was going on, it was entertaining to me.

Well basically Batman used all of the stuff Darkseid wanted to syphon out of him to make supersoldiers to overwhelm the creature that was doing the syphoning and in the process you learn that after dealing with Doctor Hurt Batman had returned to the Batcave and had a talk with Alfred before learning of the events at the beginning of Final Crisis which made him run off the Justice League HQ which is where he was captured by Darkseid's forces.