Ultimate Origins #1

Missy

So the big reveal / spoiler at the end of the issue is: in an effort to develop their own Super Soldier formula, the Weapon X program created the mutant genome in 1946, and James Howlett / Logan was mutant zero. It was then purposely spread to ensure the survival of mankind.

The book wasn't all that good, but the concept is neat: America created Captain America, so Canada responded by creating the mutant genome. Years later, to deal with a growing mutant / superhuman population, America attempted to recreate the lost Super Soldier serum, which led to the Hulk. And if I recall, Norman Osborn's OZ formula was also an attempt at recreating the Super Soldier serum. So yes, it's all connected.

So the big reveal / spoiler at the end of the issue is: in an effort to develop their own Super Soldier formula, the Weapon X program created the mutant genome in 1946, and James Howlett / Logan was mutant zero. It was then purposely spread to ensure the survival of mankind.

The book wasn't all that good, but the concept is neat: America created Captain America, so Canada responded by creating the mutant genome. Years later, to deal with a growing mutant / superhuman population, America attempted to recreate the lost Super Soldier serum, which led to the Hulk. And if I recall, Norman Osborn's OZ formula was also an attempt at recreating the Super Soldier serum. So yes, it's all connected.

So...Professor X is in his fifties? Magneto too? What happened to World War 2?

Has it even been outright stated that Ultimate Magneto was in a concentration camp during WWII? Even if it has, age doesn't matter here. Logan's DNA was altered by Weapon X, so one has to assume that Weapon X exposed other people (the world?) to the perfected version of whatever they put into Logan. Thus mutating their genes. Some people were born with the gene (thanks to their parents having been exposed) and other people were changed thanks to direct exposure (sort of like an Ultimate White Event).

Read Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #2-3. Right there it was established that something greater was going on behind the scenes, and Marvel has always said there was a conspiracy that would be revealed in time. It only took this long because The Ultimates and The Ultimates 2 were plagued by delays. Bendis needed those runs to end before he could pull the trigger on certain plans.

Read Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #2-3. Right there it was established that something greater was going on behind the scenes, and Marvel has always said there was a conspiracy that would be revealed in time. It only took this long because The Ultimates and The Ultimates 2 were plagued by delays. Bendis needed those runs to end before he could pull the trigger on certain plans.

I read #1 and it was awful. The Ultimate universe has always been didactic: awesome and sucky. But it's less and less didactic the older it gets. Read: sucky.

Of course this will change everything forever and all of Quesada's wanky lines...

Didn't buy the issue, but I flipped through it and thought the big reveal was a good idea, at least. Anything that leads to an original idea in the Ultimate Universe, and not a simple retelling of a twenty year old 616 story with new wardrobe, well, that's good by me. Dread, you're nuts. Ellis's run on UF4 was the last time I really, really enjoyed that book, and Ultimate Human was excellent as well.

I liked this, its the first big Ultimate event that I think I can get into. I wound up hating the Ultimate Galactus stuff but this is an interesting reveal. I am worried that all Mutants being labeled Canadians will actually make some of the hate justified.

I liked this, its the first big Ultimate event that I think I can get into. I wound up hating the Ultimate Galactus stuff but this is an interesting reveal. I am worried that all Mutants being labeled Canadians will actually make some of the hate justified.

<_<

Ultimate Human was excellent as well.

:shocked: I'm not the only person who enjoyed that miniseries?

Beyond the first issue, I wasn't aware you read and liked the rest of the series, Sean.

You weren't the only one. I thought it was the best thing Ellis did in Marvel since 'Not Dead Yet'.

• 3 months later...

OK, I picked up the whole series so far on Wednesday and finished #4 this evening. Bruce Banner and

Hank Pym

are working on the Super-Soldier formula when Banner tries it on himself and becomes the Hulk. Banner was also working with

Richard Parker

. Banner becomes the Hulk, and apparently kills

Richard Parker

's wife, who is holding their infant son -

Spider-Man

. Huh? This is not consistent.

It was established in the

Venom storyline in USM that Peter Parker's parents (both of them) died in a plane crash when some bad corporate guys wanted to use lawyers to steal the anti-cancer suit that would eventually become Venom. Now Mrs. Parker was killed by the Hulk when Peter was a baby? Did Mr. Parker remarry or did she actually not die?

I am worried that all Mutants being labeled Canadians will actually make some of the hate justified.

That would explain Terrance and Phillip's ability to fart on command. That's their mutant power.

Will they find Saddam Hussein behind the curtain?