Final Crisis

Dread

Well, issue one was pretty freaking sweet if you ask me.

JG Jones is sharp as ever and, besides a few niggles, the story was excellent.

I did not like Luthor saying "My creed is Luthor." Too Darkseid-y.

For people a little left in the lurch at the gods of the fifth world, check out the Miracle Man mini Morrison did.

Oh yeah...Renee "Question" Montoya finishes a conversation with a cop and leaves by jumping off a bridge? That was a little much.

If anybody is taking the Kirby properties and running with them then Morrison is the only one beside myself and maybe Walt Simonson that I'd trust.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how Morrison ignored Countdown and Death of The New Gods. Twist the knife deeper...

He doesn't give a fuck and I think people are afraid to stop him. After his X-Men debacle it seems as though he has a "I'll do whatever the fuck I want because they'll just change it afterwards" mentality and it is making for some stunning stories. Comics needs him.

Can anyone tell me what paperbacks collections can I get to get all 3 of the Crisis stories and everything surrounding the storyline(like The Countdown issues)

Got 12 Grand?

Seriously, you don't need them. The original COIE is widely available in paperback. I only remember the hardcover of IC but I'm sure there's a pb out there somewhere. Leave Countdown alone! I didn't waste 25 hours of my life for people to go and buy the trades! Listen to the Countdown episodes of the show and then try and buy 'em. You won't allow yourself to.

Try 52 instead. It will be more relevant to FC than Countdown anyway. Bonus! It's actually damn good too!

Meh. I'm not a fan of the new earth-style persona's of the new gods, the original interpretations seemed timeless and classic. You know that at some point we'll get old-school Darkseid back. It just seems a little Superman Red/Blue to me, changing something for the sake of changing it.

Oh there's no doubt that Darkseid will be back in his old ass-kicking form, if you've seen the FC Sketchbook.

But I like this incarnation as long as it's in Morrison's hands. Probably disastrous otherwise. He'll need to be back because methinks he'll be the one to save everything from Libra. Then, Darkseid Is, baby!

Morrison interview at Newsarama.

My favorite quote happens after exhaustively explaining to the interviewer that FC was written and conceived before Countdown started:

The way I see it readers can choose to spend the rest of the year fixating on the plot quirks of a series which has ended, or they can breathe a sight of relief, settle back and enjoy the shiny new DC universe status quo we’re setting up in the pages of Final Crisis and its satellite books. I’m sure both of these paths to enlightenment will find adherents of different temperaments.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Rumored for some time, DC Comics made it official yesterday in its solicitations for January 2009 that superstar artist J.G. Jones (“52”) would not be providing interior art for “Final Crisis” #7. The final issue of the epic, seven-part saga of the DC Multiverse will be illustrated by the "Final Crisis: Superman Beyond" art team of penciler Doug Mahnke with inks by Christian Alamy.

Jones and Mahnke will each provide covers.

Via an email reply, Jones told CBR News that it was his preference not to comment “on any of this.”

Jones did however offer, “Any problems completing the series are my own. I love Doug Mahnke’s art, and he would have probably been a better choice to draw this series in the first place.”

The involvement of Mahnke comes after artist Carlos Pacheco was brought in to assist DC in completing "Final Crisis" on schedule, making Mahnke the title's third interior illustrator.

Asked if he would be re-drawing the issue for the eventual trade paperback of “Final Crisis,” Jones said, “I seldom revisit any ground I’ve already covered, and absolutely will not be redrawing any of Doug’s work. What an insult that would be to Doug, an unnecessary exercise in futility on my part.”

In terms of his next project, Jones said he is currently revising his plans for the future.

Assuming his tongue was planted firmly in cheek, Jones closed by apologizing to his “three or four remaining fans” and thanked them for picking up his work.

“Final Crisis” #4, with art by J.G. Jones and Carlos Pacheco, is on sale this week from DC Comics.

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=18513

You know i would of liked Jones to do the art for all 7 issues, but at the end of the day it's not really that big a deal. I am shocked to see that so many people are going crazy over this like it's the end of the world or something. Also, Doug Mahnke is a great artist and if anyone else had to step in and complete it, i am glad it is him (not to mention he illustrated Superman Beyond, and Seven Soldiers which tie into FC, so it makes sense from a story perspective too).