Iron Man 2

Missy

Iron Man wasn't overrated, but I do think TDK was. If Ledger didn't die, it wouldn't have made half the money it did, and there would be no Oscar talk.

Yeah, except there was Oscar talk before he died, and the hype machine was already well and truly up and running due to the extensive promotional materials. All those months of teaser campaigns? Most of that happened before Ledger died.

There is no way a movie about Batman would have been a serious contender for an Oscar if he didn't die. I remember the talk before he died also, and I've heard it about a lot of movies that went nowhere. The fact is if he didn't die, it would never have been taken seriously. Most people didn't even know who he was before he died.

Wrong again, the man was nominated for an Oscar for best actor in Brokeback Mountain and his profile had been rapidly ascending for several years. Heath Ledger was a leading man, considered marketable and talented. That's how he got the part. As it stands Dark Knight isn't whats getting the awards, its Ledger, and I think that would have been the case regardless. No individual performance has garnered such widespread praise from critics this year. He may not win, but he certainly deserved a nomination.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iron Man wasn't overrated, but I do think TDK was. If Ledger didn't die, it wouldn't have made half the money it did, and there would be no Oscar talk.

Yeah, except there was Oscar talk before he died, and the hype machine was already well and truly up and running due to the extensive promotional materials. All those months of teaser campaigns? Most of that happened before Ledger died.

There is no way a movie about Batman would have been a serious contender for an Oscar if he didn't die. I remember the talk before he died also, and I've heard it about a lot of movies that went nowhere. The fact is if he didn't die, it would never have been taken seriously. Most people didn't even know who he was before he died.

I disagree, although not because it was a Batman film, but it was Heath Ledger, an upcoming Hollywood star, completely owning a role. And to hell with the idea that TDK was more overrated than Iron Man. Both films were excellent, but Iron Man was the best film it could be whilst sticking to the CBM formula. TDK was a step beyond that by stepping out of the sub-genre as much as possible and being rewarded for the story it told.

The difference is minimal; I've already rated Iron Man a 9.5 whilst I'd rate TDK a 10. TDK isn't a perfect movie, but it's a great film that gets an extra point for what it sets out to achieve. Ledger's death is only impacting the awards season - nothing else. Christian Bale was no more likely to be nominated for Best Actor Oscar than Robert Downey Jr. was.

The overrated thing:

The only thing I thought overrated about IM was Sam Jackson. No more of him in the future? Good riddance. I wish that guy would retire.

Man, first Morgan Freeman, and now Sam Jackson?

Who's next? Sydney Poitier?

Guest DCAUFan1051

that bolded statement there is very untrue Jack. Ledger wasn't super famous but alot of people know and remember him from 10 Things I Hate About You, The Patriot, and

A Knight's Tale.

that bolded statement there is very untrue Jack. Ledger wasn't super famous but alot of people know and remember him from 10 Things I Hate About You, The Patriot, and

A Knight's Tale.

Got to agree there. He was by no means a superstar but was a teen heartthrob for years and was nominated for an Oscar two years ago in a movie that won best director. I think most people actually did no who he was.

I still stand by my statement. Most people when they heard he died had to look him up to even see who he was. I don't know why you guys seem to think he was a household name. The movie wouldn't be the number 2 movie of all time if he didn't die.

I don't like Bale as Batman. I hated the batpod crap. I still say Iron man was a better movie because it's the movie I wanted to see made. I don't like movies because I'm told they are good. I like them because they speak to me personally. I like a lot of bad movies for that reason. My opinion shouldn't make a difference in what you think.

I think most people who, y'know, watch films knew who Heath was. Brokeback Mountain was a very visible film even for those who didn't go to see it, and his profile before that was hardly inconsiderable. I think your claim that somehow the death of an actor you think most people didn't know lead to the second biggest boxoffice ever is at best contradictory.

Its fine if you liked Iron man better, you're hardly alone there. Just don't claim that the success of Dark Knight was some sort of fluke or that the praise that Ledger and Nolan get is unjustified. Dark Knight was masterpiece of blockbuster cinema, possible one of the best combinations of artistic integrity and mass appeal ever seen.

I think most people who, y'know, watch films knew who Heath was. Brokeback Mountain was a very visible film even for those who didn't go to see it, and his profile before that was hardly inconsiderable. I think your claim that somehow the death of an actor you think most people didn't know lead to the second biggest boxoffice ever is at best contradictory.

Its fine if you liked Iron man better, you're hardly alone there. Just don't claim that the success of Dark Knight was some sort of fluke or that the praise that Ledger and Nolan get is unjustified. Dark Knight was masterpiece of blockbuster cinema, possible one of the best combinations of artistic integrity and mass appeal ever seen.

• 5 weeks later...
Entertainment Weekly is reporting the rumor that Scarlett Johansson is in discussions with Marvel Studios to replace Emily Blunt for the role of Russian superspy Natasha Romanoff, who doubles as Black Widow, in Iron Man 2.

Blunt's commitment to 20th Century Fox and the studio's upcoming Gulliver's Travels may prohibit her from co-starring in the superhero sequel.

Marvel will not confirm, but sources tell EW that Johansson has indeed met with the filmmakers and is interested in taking the role. Blunt's reps are still trying to make both projects work, but "Gulliver's" is further along, with a start date of April 15. Iron Man 2 still doesn't have a shooting script and a start date has not yet been determined.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=52871

so after Wolverine: X-Men Origins, and Watchmen (forgive the ignorance but Watchmen is marvel right?) is Iron Man 2 the next big movie for marvel?

Watchmen is DC, not true DC universe but originally its supposed to have been based on characters DC had the rights to. Its a proper DC book.

Guest DCAUFan1051
so after Wolverine: X-Men Origins, and Watchmen (forgive the ignorance but Watchmen is marvel right?) is Iron Man 2 the next big movie for marvel?

Watchmen is DC, not true DC universe but originally its supposed to have been based on characters DC had the rights to. Its a proper DC book.

oh ok but the question remains what will be next for Marvel after the Wolverine flick? Will it be Iron Man 2 or something else?

I thought that Avengers was 2011? Since it would be a team up of Thor, Iron Man and Cap it seems logical that it would follow them later, rather than be released the same year.

DC needs to get their ass in gear, they're pathetically behind when it comes to releasing their big properties. Watchmen and The Spirit covers this year, but the only film of theirs I've heard was in any serious discussion was Death: The High Cost Of Living, and that things been been bumping around development hell for years now. I honestly think we'll see the next Nolan Batman well before we see the supposed Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Justice League or new Superman films.

If DC would only open up their Vertigo properties a bit more, stuff like DMZ, 100 Bullets, Y: The Last Man and Fables could be very successful. Several of these are supposedly active projects that have names attached (Shia Lebouf is in most of them) but that's no guarantee at all that they'll get made.