Alien vs. Predator

Missy

After watching like the billionth ad for AvP, I finally concluded just why it will suck. We can see the Aliens. The intrigue of the other Alien films was the suspense of not knowing where they were hiding, or where they were coming from. They relied on the darkness to pry into our primal fears, and jolted us with unearthly sounds. The Aliens were only seen when they needed to be, and even then were kept partially in shadow. But when you cast a light directly on our fears, exposing them, no matter how creepy they might look, they no longer have the impact they once held.

After watching like the billionth ad for AvP, I finally concluded just why it will suck. We can see the Aliens. The intrigue of the other Alien films was the suspense of not knowing where they were hiding, or where they were coming from. They relied on the darkness to pry into our primal fears, and jolted us with unearthly sounds. The Aliens were only seen when they needed to be, and even then were kept partially in shadow. But when you cast a light directly on our fears, exposing them, no matter how creepy they might look, they no longer have the impact they once held.

Well said. It's like the "Monster under the Bed" in that you can't see it, but you know it's there. Freaky. In this case, they turned the Monster into something you can see, and robbed him of his scare factor.

The ending screams "sequel".

I liked the part where the Predator decided not to kill the CEO because he had lung cancer... it would not be "honorable", I guess. It reminded me of the scene in "Predator 2" where he spared the female cop because she was pregnant.

It reminded me of the scene in "Predator 2" where he spared the female cop because she was pregnant.

I read somewhere that the Predator didn't kill the cop not because she was pregnant, but because she was female. Take it for what it's worth, but I guess Predators don't kill women. (Granted, I've yet to see AvP, so that could have changed.)

The novel that this is based off of explains why the Predator didn't kill the cop. Predators come from a society that is very Klingonish about honor. It surrounds them... nay, rules their very existance. Predators will not fight with weapons when they are facing someone who is unarmed, and also won't kill women. They have the utmost respect for the human race though because of our ingenuity and due to how brave we are in the face of danger. Some might run, but there are always people who will stand up and defend themselves.

In the novel, the Predators use hunting the Aliens to be a "right of passage". That's how they gain honor in their clans, and also how they ascend to a higher position. The novel takes place in the future though.

There you have it folks, that's the way the Predator operates.

I also added "Spoilers" to the outside of the thread.

I read somewhere that the Predator didn't kill the cop not because she was pregnant, but because she was female.

If I recall correctly, it was said in Predator 2 that he didn't kill her because she was pregnant. I haven't seen it in a long time, though, so I could be wrong.

I read somewhere that the Predator didn't kill the cop not because she was pregnant, but because she was female.

If I recall correctly, it was said in Predator 2 that he didn't kill her because she was pregnant. I haven't seen it in a long time, though, so I could be wrong.

That is true. That is why he did not kill her. Back to the topic, I saw th movie and I quite like it. I was never scared by any of the the other Alien movies so I didn't care about the suspense factor. I just wanted to see teh Aliens fight the Predators and I got that.

• 2 months later...

I have only one complaint with this movie.

Shouldn't a movie with the term 'vs' in the title, actually have more fight scenes between the title characters. Seriously, I would have been 100 times happier if they didn't bother about the first 33% of the movie, and just based it on the fighting. Even the promos said eluded to the humans being worthless, so why did so much of the movie focus on them.

And if anyone is looking forward to the teased sequal, it won't happen.

WRONG AGAIN HOLLYWOOD!!