Worlds Finest Podcast Insights, Thoughts, and random stuff

Guest TFG1Mike

Guest DCAUFan1051

Wow I never noticed about that. But most of the Bruce Timm animated characters look the same.

true, but not all of them are the same.

I just noticed it and thought hey it's Chelsea pre Batman Beyond.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, uh, while we're posting thoughts about WFP, here's one that I've noticed recently as I've been listening through the Static Shock episodes:

In the Static Shock episodes when Cree Summer has voiced a character, there's the inevitable mention of The Batman Beyond Character Who Must Not Be-- ah, hell, I'll say her name: Max Gibson. It honestly feels like James and Michael are ragging on Cree Summer for voicing any character, simply because she voiced Max. Okay, I get it, Max is a reviled character on the show. But does that hatred have to translate to other characters she's voiced? 'Cause she's one of the most prolific voice actresses around. If the hatred for Max gets brought up every time Cree Summer voices a character in the DCAU, it's gonna get old. Just sayin', guys.

That's really one of the few gripes I have about the podcast, so I don't want to sound like I'm ranting. Heck, I was the one who wrote in that e-mail that WFP is "as addictive as crack". I just figured I'd bring this up, as it could be something to watch out for.

You're reading into that, because as far as I recall, we've never railed into Cree. I even think James has praised her more than once. Do we hate Max? Yes, but I don't think we've ever blamed the actress for that.

And hey, let's make something clear: I will always love Cree for the simple fact that she voiced Penny in Inspector Gadget, who I had the biggest crush on as a child. :wub:

You're reading into that, because as far as I recall, we've never railed into Cree. I even think James has praised her more than once. Do we hate Max? Yes, but I don't think we've ever blamed the actress for that.

Ah, my apologies, then. I guess I got that impression at one point during an early Static Shock review, where it was brought up that a character shared a voice actress with That Certain Batman Beyond Character. Much revulsion ensued, and it was hard to tell whether it was directed just at Max, or at Cree Summer as well. But if it's just at Max, then fair enough. I was never bothered as much by her, but to each his own. I hope I didn't sound like a jerk in my previous post.

And hey, let's make something clear: I will always love Cree for the simple fact that she voiced Penny in Inspector Gadget, who I had the biggest crush on as a child. :wub:

...She voiced Penny? Really? Damn, I had no idea she'd been voice acting for that long, but now that I'm thinking back on Penny's dialogue, I can certainly pick out Cree's voice. I was probably Penny's age when that show was in first-run, so I do have fond memories of her. Hell, I always thought the weakest link in that show was Uncle Gadget himself. That show would've been off the chain if it'd been just Penny & Brain against Dr. Claw's goons.

Guest DCAUFan1051

she also voiced Elmyra from Tiny Toon Adventures. Basically take the max voice and make it 100000 times more annoying. But yes overall Cree Summer herself is a excellent voice actress. She just gets shite roles sometimes.

she also voiced Elmyra from Tiny Toon Adventures. Basically take the max voice and make it 100000 times more annoying. But yes overall Cree Summer herself is a excellent voice actress. She just gets shite roles sometimes.

Yeah, I've known she voiced Elmyra since that show first premiered. And she's voiced quite a few characters since then, from Alison Crestmere in the X-Men Legends video game and Blackarachnia in Transformers: Animated to a poodle in Clifford the Big Red Dog. I just hadn't realized how far her voice career had reached before Tiny Toon Adventures. *shrug* Learn something new every day.

Cree Summers is like one of the best voice actresses currently out there to the point where in Kids Next Door, the writer's, knowing she would voice a character, named it Cree. That said, hey, even Meryl Streep was in She-Devil so all actor's have to play that one roll that is less than an awesome. I dislike Max about as much as anyone on the board and I refuse to let that overshadow the woman that gave us Penny, Number 5, and Foxy Love. I'm sure everyone else would agree.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, BTW, been meaning to chime in on this one, I forget which episode this was from, one of the Superman ones obviously, you guys make mention of the fact that Superman eating meat (on a pizza if I'm not mistaken) was a major error because Supes is supposedly a vegetarian.

This is not the case, well at least not when the episode aired.

Clark was always a meat eater, in fact it was the fact that one of his favorite meals was a beef dish was one of the tip offs to Lois that he was back after the whole Death and Reign storylines.

The whole "Superman is a vegan" thing comes from the 2003-2004 Mark Waid written Birthright series that was supposed to be a reboot to the origin story, which is probably no longer valid anyway due to the current Geoff Johns Secret Origin series! So my guess is Superman is back to being a meat eater.

The whole "Superman is a vegan" thing comes from the 2003-2004 Mark Waid written Birthright series that was supposed to be a reboot to the origin story, which is probably no longer valid anyway due to the current Geoff Johns Secret Origin series! So my guess is Superman is back to being a meat eater.

Yeah, that series had a VERY environmentally-conscious Superman, as he could literally see a being's life force (including that of animals). Seeing a creature die would cause him immense emotional pain, so he vowed to protect all life.

I always thought that that made little sense, since Clark would probably then consider his parents (who run a FARM) to be murderers. They mentioned it in the story, but it seemed like a very ignored issue. Furthermore, it makes Clark take a moral stand against the Kents, which is essentially blasphemy to the Superman mythos.

• 1 month later...
Guest DCAUFan1051

When I first joined twitter.. I was randomly following people.. and one of them was a woman named Jen Cadmus... I had found WFP a few weeks before and saw the Artist name and thought... that can't be the same thing. But it was a funny coincidence seeing someone with the last name of Cadmus.

When I first joined twitter.. I was randomly following people.. and one of them was a woman named Jen Cadmus... I had found WFP a few weeks before and saw the Artist name and thought... that can't be the same thing. But it was a funny coincidence seeing someone with the last name of Cadmus.

Cadmus is actually a very common last name according to the Census Bureau.

Yeah, that series had a VERY environmentally-conscious Superman, as he could literally see a being's life force (including that of animals). Seeing a creature die would cause him immense emotional pain, so he vowed to protect all life.

I always thought that that made little sense, since Clark would probably then consider his parents (who run a FARM) to be murderers. They mentioned it in the story, but it seemed like a very ignored issue. Furthermore, it makes Clark take a moral stand against the Kents, which is essentially blasphemy to the Superman mythos.

The problem with that approach - isn't it sort of animal-kingdom-centric as a rationale for vegetarianism? Not to sound too Poison Ivy-ey, but plants are alive, too. They have life force - isn't eating plants murder the same as eating animals? I see the argument for vegetarianism from an environmental perperspective each link up the food chain drops the available energy by about 90%, so it takes a lot more land to feed enough cows to feed a human than it does to feed a human with plants. I understand the health argument - less fat, cholesterol, etc. But it always seemed a bit arbitrary to say "Even though this fish/chicken/cow isn't intelligent, I'm not going to eat it out of respect for life" and then eat plants. If there's no distinction between humans and animals, how do you justify a distinction between animals and plants?

Chris

If there's no distinction between humans and animals, how do you justify a distinction between animals and plants?

I think that in that story, there was a distinction between an animal's aura and a plant's. Actually, I'm not sure that the plants had an aura at all. It was a metaphysical thing, so maybe it was a science fiction version of a "soul." Either way, it was weird.

Guest DCAUFan1051

Putting this here because it is kinda DCAU Randomness....

Question: Was there any voice modulation on Carl Lumbly as J'onn?

The reason I ask is that I'm watching him in Alias as Dixon and I can't hear the similarities in voices between the 2 characters. Yes I know they are completely different roles and one is live action versus the other being animation. However I could have sworn the J'onn voice was most similar to Lumbly's own voice.

Putting this here because it is kinda DCAU Randomness....

Question: Was there any voice modulation on Carl Lumbly as J'onn?

The reason I ask is that I'm watching him in Alias as Dixon and I can't hear the similarities in voices between the 2 characters. Yes I know they are completely different roles and one is live action versus the other being animation. However I could have sworn the J'onn voice was most similar to Lumbly's own voice.

As far as I know, that is his all just his voice. In the season 2 comfort and joy commentary, the creators note he uses his foreign accent for J'onn when he sings his lullaby to Streaky at the end of the episode. btw, the name is Tim, i have emailed in before but am new to the forums. While re-listening to hear about how epilogue will be the last thing Mike and James Cover, I researched it, and it was originally planned as a DTV sequel to Return of the Joker.It would feature Selina Kyle sending out Bruce Wayne clones, (one of them Terry) to kill some of the batman Beyond Rogues gallery like Blight, Shriek, and Spellbinder, as well as old-school bat-villains like Edward Nigma, Oswald Cobblepot, and a reformed Harvey Dent. However, Due to the dark tones of Return of the Joker, the script was scrapped. I think I read this on the ToonZone Message boards, of which Bruce Timm is a member, does anyone if it is legit?

Thanks! I was going to question Bruce Timm about it on the ToonZone forums, I hear he is really active over there as "b.t." recently with updates about all the DTV features, but if you pester him with questions the mods delete your posts, so not to scare him away.

This video gives us a solid time line for when batman beyond takes place: 2039, does that mean JLU takes place in 1989?

My link

and this video reminds me why I love BTAS, I remember when I was a wee tot how incredible it was to take in the show, as I was only 2 when it aired, so I actually started avidly watching in the KidsWb days. I remember I set the VCR to record the Demon's Quest, and I later taped the other 2 Ra's al Ghul episodes on to it. (The WB store used to sell vhs tapes focusing on each character. I had the Batman, Robin, and Riddler tapes but I was pissed their wasn't a Ra's one. This may be the best promo ever, it makes me miss staying up late (or what seemed late to me at the time) to watch Toonami.

This video gives us a solid time line for when batman beyond takes place: 2039, does that mean JLU takes place in 1989?

Kind of.

Batman Beyond's place in the timeline was set back in 1999, when the show aired. The idea was that it was exactly 40 years into the future.

The thing is that Jl and JLU kinda mess things around a bit, since they were developed afterwards and don't really take the overall timeline into account. For instance, Bruce Timm has said that the flashacks in Return of the Joker take place after JLU, but Batman's still wearing his TNBA/Gotham Knights outfit in the flashback, and Robin looks no older than he was in TNBA, despite the fact that he would logically be at almost an adult by that point.

So basically, JL/JLU kinda squeezes in the timeline even though it shouldn't. It should be ignored as far as the Batman Beyond timeline is concerned.

Guest DCAUFan1051

According to the DVD's and Bruce Timm's own words JL/JLU happen now... like whenever now is. Batman Beyond happens 50 years from now. That's what he's said in many of the currently released DVD special features.

Guest DCAUFan1051

Well, considering that, allow me to say this: JLU isn't in continuity, and we won't be covering it. :P

You are hereby impeached and will be replaced on WFP if that above statement remains true! :w00t::evil:

Well, considering that, allow me to say this: JLU isn't in continuity, and we won't be covering it. :P

Well now, when has that stopped you before? ;)

According to the DVD's and Bruce Timm's own words JL/JLU happen now... like whenever now is. Batman Beyond happens 50 years from now. That's what he's said in many of the currently released DVD special features.

Yeah, but Batman Beyond also takes place in 2039. So... the basic idea is to just roll with it. lol