Episode 35

RSS

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched Mad Love again - Mike and James already described the not-so-subtext so well, I have nothing more to add. The other thing I noticed, though, is how much stuff they crammed into that episode - granted, Harley is one of Dini's 3 favorite characters (the other 2 being Mxy and Zatanna - google the magician Misty Lee and see who she looks like and who married her). Everything from the name on the dentist's door (Dr. J. Reko - more clever than Joe Kerr) to the "rev up your Harley" line for little gags, to Batman wincing when the Joker arrives and backhands Harley. I also noticed one of their strong suits. Despite having, with the late Shirley Walker, and later with Dynamic Music Partners, some of the best music, they're not afraid to be silent. When Harley is falling, they said, "There's no music that will make this a stronger scene" so there's just FX, no score. They do that from time to time, and it's really a great emphasis. (It also made the end of "Shriek" suspenseful as hell, but more about that when we get to Batman Beyond.)

The other thing I found poignant about Harley was something that Batman taunted the Joker with - She almost did it. Harley Quinn, the goofy, bubbly blonde, almost took down the Dark Knight all by her lonesome, on a spur of the moment decision - yet she consistently plays a dumb second fiddle to the Joker. James and Mike talked about how she may have gotten her degree on other than academic merits, but she's obviously much more intelligent than she acts, or than that would suggest. Most of that dumb blonde act is a front to keep the Joker from feeling threatened by her. Sad.

Incidentally, "Mad Love", along with "Watchmen" is being adapted as a motion comic, so may be available in another format soon.

On a more upbeat note, I was glad to hear I'm not the only Impulse fan around - he was such a great character, and Mike's absolutely right - you could see him grow at times, and your heart always tugged a bit that he lost a bit of innocence (of course, my daughter's almost 4, so I'm going to have to start seeing that in real life, too. NOT looking forward. Stupid world.) Ah, Bart...you are missed.

Chris

Pre-Episode Banter

-Was that chat forum Toonzone? I think I remember that post he made.

-Yeah, you have to regrade 'Heart of Ice'.

E-Mails

-I can't believe there was more to your laughing fit. That's insane.

-I agree about Clayface. Easily the most consistent villain. Always has great animation too.

-Holy smokes, Selina Kyle! That's pretty awesome.

-I really loved 'Gotham Knight', and I'll defend it to the death.

-Man, there's really a ton of descriptions of all sorts of later episodes here. Can't wait for them.

-I can't believe you've seen 'Destroyer' over 150 times.

Episodes

Legends of the Dark Knight- One of the all-time greats for certain. Can't say enough good things about it. Expecting a good long discussion about it.

-The great thing about this episode is that it chooses the two extremes of the character.

-The first segment is such a perfect emulation of the Sprang style it's uncanny.

-Michael Ironside was absolutely perfect for DKR Batman.

-I also think it's awesome that Frank Miller was a huge fan of this segment.

-Yeah Mike, there are no gripes with this episode. Don't even think about giving it anything less than a 10.

-I was expecting the Firefly part to get a bit of flack. I still don't think it hurts the episode.

Unity- Everyone hates this episode. I know that the story is ridiculous and the animation is horrible, but I've always enjoyed this one because it's just so weird and creepy.

-Do you guys honestly think this is the worst one in the series? Even over 'Prototype'.

-Ha, Farmer Brown.

-I think there were some funny moments. Like the people on the bus arguing over whether the vegetables were turnips or rutabagas.

-"Hey, don't be knockin' Pokemon", now that was a death blow to this episode.

Girl's Night Out- Pretty bad. Just a generic girl get-together with really dull characters with no chemistry. There are some funny Harley moments though.

-I never noticed how nonsensical it is that Harley would have her tongue out at the perfect moment for Supergirl to see it.

-I'll try to look into the model later, but since it's taking me six days to write up my response, I wouldn't be surprised if someone else has already figured it out.

-Kryptonite leaves?!?!? You guys kill me.

The Demon Reborn- Another subpar episode. Still, good to see another team-up episode and some awesome fight scenes. I just can't stand Ras Al Ghul's motivation.

-I agree big time about how awful Ras looks.

-I don't really mind about Ras' exit in S:TAS, because he comes back in 'Batman Beyond' and gets a perfect sendoff.

-And I guess Ras would have worked well in JL, but I think that Vandal Savage more than made up for it.

-I never really thought much about Batman's characterization here and how weird it is.

Mad Love- I know it's one of everyone's favorites, but I never really thought of this one as a masterpiece. I think there are some very noticeable flaws, such as Joker's willingness to shoot Batman at the end right after going on about how elaborate Batman's death needs to be. Harley's flashback really has no context, etc. But still, everything else is pretty awesome. Harley slo-mo looked great.

-Batman's laugh is utterly brilliant.

-I agree that the episode has a great mature story, but there are some things that I just don't like about it.

-What I loved about the ending is that it almost seems nice on Joker's part that he sent her a flower. Even though it's more than likely just a way to get her back under his control, it almost feels sweet, in a twisted sort of way.

-That's really interesting about what the comic left out. I guess it makes sense that she was a horrible psychiatrist.

-Interesting note about the shift from regular laugh to maniacal Joker laugh.

Scores

Legends of the Dark Knight- You: 10 / Me: 10

Unity- You: 1 and 2 / Me: 4

Girl's Night Out- You: 6 and 8 / Me: 5

The Demon Reborn- You: 2 and 7 / Me: 6

Mad Love- You: 10 / Me: 9

Next show is going to be epic.

-Yeah, you have to regrade 'Heart of Ice'.

Maybe in the very last episode of WFP we'll each choose five episodes from the whole of the DCAU to re-grade. Until then, my "Heart of Ice" score stands.

-"Hey, don't be knockin' Pokemon", now that was a death blow to this episode.

Come on! Some of those Pokemon episodes were funny. I love me some Snorlax. :happy:

I think there are some very noticeable flaws, such as Joker's willingness to shoot Batman at the end right after going on about how elaborate Batman's death needs to be.

But at the same time, from the Joker's point of view, it would be funny to just shoot him in the face right then and there.

Mad Love- I know it's one of everyone's favorites, but I never really thought of this one as a masterpiece.

I agree. Mad Love left me in complete disgust of the Joker. He was nothing but an abusive bf, and that's all. Where was the manipulating? The cooing and trickery involved to get this woman to fall head over heals for him? There had to have be something sweet that he's done to Harley...Something he's said that mentally and physically broke her. Joker should have MUCH more to him than a "My dad beat me" story. He's smarter, more cunning, and wittier than that. From this episode, I felt like I got 20 minutes of Harley getting smacked around... I know you all hated Joker's Millions, but the end of that was gratifying. Joker was human -- he got scared of his girlfriend. If nothing else makes sense in the world, that should.

It wasn't just one "my dad beat me" story that won Harley over. They spent months together, and throughout each session Joker fed her one sob story after the next. She was predisposed to be in an abusive relationship, the Joker knew it and he took advantage of her. What you also have to remember is that the story was filtered through Harley. She doesn't know that Joker manipulated her, so it's not going to come through in her telling of it.

RE: my question - I was trying to say "which villains are best served by their appearances?" rather than asking you to rank the voice actors. I blame myself entirely though for my wording.

Good show - I too would pimp that Earth-2.net: The Show episode and that "For You Rears Only"* podcast too..... :whistle:

*That was intentional; I'm not trying to relive the whole "Estrigen" hilarity.

Yeah, VillagePhotos, where I host all my random pictures, is apparently down.

What do you mean, dear Deaux? Do you have actual pictures that exemplify why you're the face of sarcasm?

No, not really. The "face of sarcasm" thing is just a reference to my writing style when I do reviews of bad movies. Check out some of my articles and you'll get a sense of what I mean. :angel:

Guest DCAUFan1051

look under the movies and Tv section here guys n gals I just posted a topic about the NEW 2 Disc Edition of Superman: Doomsday

PLEASE KILL ME NOW!!! there's a link in there so everyone can see the new PACKAGE ART. :no::no::no:

I'm not pickin this up at all!!! I already have the 1 disc special edition packaging DVD :no::no:

wassup BostonDan I'm originally from Kingston/Plymouth Area Massachusetts and I still paaaaaahk the cahhh in havaaaahd yaaahhd!!

look under the movies and Tv section here guys n gals I just posted a topic about the NEW 2 Disc Edition of Superman: Doomsday

PLEASE KILL ME NOW!!! there's a link in there so everyone can see the new PACKAGE ART. :no::no::no:

I'm not pickin this up at all!!! I already have the 1 disc special edition packaging DVD :no::no:

wassup BostonDan I'm originally from Kingston/Plymouth Area Massachusetts and I still paaaaaahk the cahhh in havaaaahd yaaahhd!!

Jiminy already posted it in the original Superman: Doomsday thread.