What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Red Balloon: French film from 1956. It's thirty minutes long and has almost no dialouge, but you owe it to yourself to see this. It's the most charming portrayl of childhood I've ever seen on film.

Flight of the Red Balloon: Based on the above short film. Very slow going, but ultimately fufilling postmodern art film a few years ago.

Cronos: Del Toro fucking loves his clockwork. A dark portrayl of childhood for Aurora, and Ron Perlman is a great mix of bumbling, charming and menancing. A sweet and chillingly dark fairytale, which really hints at the style Del Toro is developing.

Let the Right One In: Meh.

Cronos: Del Toro fucking loves his clockwork. A dark portrayl of childhood for Aurora, and Ron Perlman is a great mix of bumbling, charming and menancing. A sweet and chillingly dark fairytale, which really hints at the style Del Toro is developing.

Are you kidding? I love Cronos, but LTROI is a far better film.

See Devil's Backbone, by the way. Del Toro doesn't get any better.

Just found out that Patrick Wilson was Raoul in the Schumacher version of Phantom of the Opera. The man doesn't have a half bad voice, if that was acutally him singing in the movie.

It was. Minnie Driver was the only one not really doing their own singing. She did however sing the song over the credits, "Learn to be Lonely." Really, you can't get away with not doing your own singing in musicals these days. Moulin Rouge and Chicago set the bar high for everyone else.

Are you kidding? I love Cronos, but LTROI is a far better film.

See Devil's Backbone, by the way. Del Toro doesn't get any better.

LTROI was... not my cup of tea. There was very little in the way of legitimate scares, and the ending really, really, pissed me off. I can't deny that it's a very well constructed film, but I don't have to like it, either.

So, my friends and I just watched Dragonball Evolution.

It got so bad after a certain point we couldn't even make fun of it anymore, just yell at the computer screen.

On the other hand, I have discovered a lovely drink that mixes Chambord, vanilla liquer, and Ghiradhelli hot cocoa mix, and it is helping me forget things. :D

The Godfather & The Godfather Part 2 back to back. Yeah, those two films still captivate me from beginning to end. The lighting in some of those pivotal scenes is phenomenal.

Sitting back with one of my favorite sci-fi films that I was fortunate enough to catch back when it came out in cinemas on limited release. Cypher is a noir film set against a world of industrial espionage, and has some of the most startling cinematography you'll see anywhere. Everything is very smooth and perfectly arranged, like an exhibit in a gallery, which is a testament to the excellent production design. The performance of Jeremy Northam is superb, reinventing himself into the man he always wanted to be through the persona he takes on to perform his job. Lucy Liu is perfect as well, oozing sex and forbidden promise, the perfect lure to draw Northam deeper into this world. I highly advise picking up a copy if you can.

Con-Air: The greatest dumb action movie of them all. From Nicholas Cage's awful accent, to Steve Buscemi pushing the creep factor, even for him, to John Malkovich playing his best over the top villain. And Dave Chappelle is great in this.

And Danny Trejo is the most evil rapist ever.

The Hangover is the funniest movie I have ever seen in my life. I'm not exaggerating, either. It has replaced Super Troopers on top of my "funniest movie ever" list. There were several moments where I couldn't breathe because I was laughing so hard.

Duel. Never seen such tension and frustration wrung out of such a simple premise. Man driving home across country. Giant dirty rig continually harasses him. It sounds like a 30 minute film at best but this worthy of its 80-something minute runtime just due to the way it ramps up the tension over and over. You can tell why people figured this Spielberg fella was worth watching. Plus its a Richard Matheson script, so the internal trials of the protagonist are all laid out for the audience to see.

Duel. Never seen such tension and frustration wrung out of such a simple premise. Man driving home across country. Giant dirty rig continually harasses him. It sounds like a 30 minute film at best but this worthy of its 80-something minute runtime just due to the way it ramps up the tension over and over. You can tell why people figured this Spielberg fella was worth watching. Plus its a Richard Matheson script, so the internal trials of the protagonist are all laid out for the audience to see.

Nice choice! You may like some discussion on the next episode of DM.

I picked up He Is Legend, an anthology in tribute to Matheson with stories featuring his characters and settings by other authors. Among them, Stephen King and his son Joe Hill's first collaboration, a sequel to Duel.

Nice choice! You may like some discussion on the next episode of DM.

I picked up He Is Legend, an anthology in tribute to Matheson with stories featuring his characters and settings by other authors. Among them, Stephen King and his son Joe Hill's first collaboration, a sequel to Duel.

Excellent, I look forward to the next episode!

Going by movie logic I can only assume that Duel II features a guy on a little fishing boat being harassed by a giant oil tanker.