What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I finished the second part of Tin Man this evening. Deschanel's acting improved slightly but she seems to be locked into some kind of weird dopey face that just won't move regardless of her emotional state.

That's her in everything.

I watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Damn good movie. I was afraid it would be boring, but all the characters he meets along the way are awesome.

Scarface (1932) - Classic gangster film, one that set the standard for the genre.

Human Nature (2001) - A look at the nature of humanity, Charlie Kaufman style. Not as good as Gondry and Kaufman's Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but still worth watching.

Synecdoche, New York (2008) - Charlie Kaufman's exploration of life, death, and human existence through a theater director's creation of an autobiographical play. Kaufman makes a fine transition from screenwriter to writer-director. I find his voice to be one of the most creative in modern cinema and this film to be probably his finest work.

Daybreakers (2009) - I like Ethan Hawke, Willem Dafoe, and the premise, which is why I was so disappointed with how bad this was.

Black Swan- Horrible. Just a piece of shit.

Okay, now that I'm done fucking with you guys, Inception was my favorite movie of this year up until an hour ago. The movie is still sticking with me right now. I have Inception on in the back ground and I'm still thinking about Black Swan. Aronofsky, just... wow. I'm still speechless. It feels like I'm going to need to write like 5000 words or so just to get across my thoughts. Seriously, go see Black Swan. Need to go to the bathroom? Go see Black Swan. Wife going into labor? Go see Black Swan. On the run from the law? Go see Black Swan. Have no money? Kill the neighbors for their money then go see Black Swan. Going to see Black Swan? But a shirt then go see Black Swan.

Father Ted Christmas Special: Nothing will put you into the Christmas spirit like this will. Fuck, this episode is awesome at any time of year.

I, too, want loads of matador stuff.

The Ballykissangel crossover alone makes it worth it.

It's Ireland's biggest lingerie section...

Can't believe Preston said he preferred the IT crowd. Ted is by far the superior work by Linehan. Black Books series one too.

Father Ted Christmas Special: Nothing will put you into the Christmas spirit like this will. Fuck, this episode is awesome at any time of year.

I, too, want loads of matador stuff.

The Ballykissangel crossover alone makes it worth it.

It's Ireland's biggest lingerie section...

Can't believe Preston said he preferred the IT crowd. Ted is by far the superior work by Linehan. Black Books series one too.

It goes Ted, Black Books and then IT Crowd.

Brief thoughts about things watched on plane today:

-Glee pilot: ...I'm sorry, but I just don't see what people see in this.

-Random episodes of the Office: Quite lovely, shoudl watch more of it.

-Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince: Good to put on for a few hours and just zone out.

-Despicable Me: Pretty cute, worht a watch.

-Glee pilot: ...I'm sorry, but I just don't see what people see in this.

I'm a huge GleeK and even I admit the first episode was good at best. It doesn't have some of the things I love about the rest of the series i.e. insane plot points, self-referential humor, good song choices, enjoyable drama. Stick with it for a couple of episodes and you'll get it if for no other reason than the characters start to get layers very quickly.

Okay, now that I'm done fucking with you guys, Inception was my favorite movie of this year up until an hour ago. The movie is still sticking with me right now. I have Inception on in the back ground and I'm still thinking about Black Swan. Aronofsky, just... wow. I'm still speechless. It feels like I'm going to need to write like 5000 words or so just to get across my thoughts. Seriously, go see Black Swan. Need to go to the bathroom? Go see Black Swan. Wife going into labor? Go see Black Swan. On the run from the law? Go see Black Swan. Have no money? Kill the neighbors for their money then go see Black Swan. Going to see Black Swan? But a shirt then go see Black Swan.

Ladies and gentlemen, fucking seconded.

So, Will, your interpretation of the ending, with spoilery spoilerifficness to follow?

Also, GOD BLESS THE INTERNET FAIRY.

Ladies and gentlemen, fucking seconded.

So, Will, your interpretation of the ending, with spoilery spoilerifficness to follow?

Also, GOD BLESS THE INTERNET FAIRY.

Afronsky's movies have an underlying theme of obsession. Nina was obsessed with reaching perfection as a dancer. Her visions of Lily were representative of the desires that she had been suppressing as well as her dark side, what she needed to embrace to part of the Black Swan. However, to reach this point she had to lose her mind. The two psyches rebelled against each other and in trying to kill her darkness, Nina embraced it and the madness it embodied. In that madness, she found her perfection and content with that knowledge, she was free and content to die. Really, it's the story of Swan Lake that Nina is reliving.

I don't think she actually died, and that neither her mother nor Lily were real.

The key to my interpretation lies in the credits and the subtle cues we get throughout the film. As several people have pointed out, people who are all around them never seem to notice her mother OR Lily, especially since the former never left the apartment. Lily seems to be the more sexual, adult side of herself that Nina's been trying to repress, and her mother seems to be the embodiment of all the repression mechanisms that Nina seems to be inflicting on herself.

And honestly, the way that Lily talked at the end and the way her mother looked at her seemed to suggest to me that Nina was finally letting herself embrace the more sexual, adult side of herself. The "perfection" that she wanted was the one goal of her younger, more virginal self, and now that she's achieved that, she's able to move on.

Also, the most violent stuff that we saw really seemed to be a product of Nina's struggle to integrate her two selves, and all in her head, and I really think that the self-stabbing at the end wasn't real. (This is the awesome part of an unreliable central character: YOU CAN'T TRUST ANYTHING!)

The biggest thing that makes me believe this, though, is the listing in the credits. Nina's listed as the White Swan, Lily's also listed as the Black Swan, obviously. But more interesting for me is how Nina's mom is listed (I think, at least, I'm going to need to go back and double-check this) as the Dying Swan.

Interpret as you will. :)

Also, I WILL SUBSCRIBE TO ANY NEWSLETTER THAT INCLUDES NATALIE MASTURBATING AND HER IN A LESBIAN SCENE FOREVER.

I don't think she actually died, and that neither her mother nor Lily were real.

The key to my interpretation lies in the credits and the subtle cues we get throughout the film. As several people have pointed out, people who are all around them never seem to notice her mother OR Lily, especially since the former never left the apartment. Lily seems to be the more sexual, adult side of herself that Nina's been trying to repress, and her mother seems to be the embodiment of all the repression mechanisms that Nina seems to be inflicting on herself.

And honestly, the way that Lily talked at the end and the way her mother looked at her seemed to suggest to me that Nina was finally letting herself embrace the more sexual, adult side of herself. The "perfection" that she wanted was the one goal of her younger, more virginal self, and now that she's achieved that, she's able to move on.

Also, the most violent stuff that we saw really seemed to be a product of Nina's struggle to integrate her two selves, and all in her head, and I really think that the self-stabbing at the end wasn't real. (This is the awesome part of an unreliable central character: YOU CAN'T TRUST ANYTHING!)

The biggest thing that makes me believe this, though, is the listing in the credits. Nina's listed as the White Swan, Lily's also listed as the Black Swan, obviously. But more interesting for me is how Nina's mom is listed (I think, at least, I'm going to need to go back and double-check this) as the Dying Swan.

Interpret as you will. :)

Also, I WILL SUBSCRIBE TO ANY NEWSLETTER THAT INCLUDES NATALIE MASTURBATING AND HER IN A LESBIAN SCENE FOREVER.

The problem with this is that Lily is mentioned by Thomas in front of the other dancers and she interacts with them. Also, Beth was listed as the Dying Swan. Erica, the mother, is listed as the Queen. Really, all the leads are kinda portrayed as characters from Swan Lake. This is also why I subscribe to the "Nina dies." school of thought. I'm going to see the movie again on Thursday when I see True Grit so I'll have more thoughts then.

The Fighter (2010) - A well made, "meant to be feel good because it's based on a true story" boxing film. Mark Whalberg and Amy Adams give very good performances with Christian Bale giving a great one as usual. Not exactly memorable, but worth watching.

Black Swan (2010) - A mixture of Aronofsky's surreal sensibilities from Pi with the drama of The Wrestler. If you're passing on it because it's about ballet, you're missing an intense cinematic experience.

As far as the ending goes, I agree with Will.

Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy:A fascinating look at the Elm Street films (not counting that thing that came out in April which thankfully isn't mentioned). I barely noticed that it was four hours long. Glad they got Heather Langenkamp as the narrator. The Jason Mewes cameo just rocks. A great way to spend the evening.