What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am Number 4I was out and about and it was the next movie to start at the cinema nearest me, so I went to see it. I haven't read the book, but it was an ok movie. Timothy Olyphant is awesome in it, as usual, but the rest of the cast seem to be just going through the motions. I am still undecided on Dianna Agron, sometimes things she does seems effortless and sometimes it seems likes she's trying too hard. All in all I'd give the movie a 3/5, if only for some of the action scenes.

Watching Spider-Man 2 for the first time in a while. Seeing if the parts I like hold up and if it really does rank among the best superhero films ever.

If that's the best, then they should just stop making superhero films. I thought 2 was awful. The first one is the only good one in the series.

Watching Spider-Man 2 for the first time in a while. Seeing if the parts I like hold up and if it really does rank among the best superhero films ever.

If that's the best, then they should just stop making superhero films. I thought 2 was awful. The first one is the only good one in the series.

WOW...never thought I'd see someone say that. I don't think it's awful, but I definitely prefer the first one to the other two. Too much time is spent in this one on beating the audience over the head with how much Peter's life sucks.

Just finished watching. Here are my gripes with it (some of them are admittedly nitpicks but they have to be mentioned):

1. Like I said before, the first half hour of the movie is spent beating us over the head with how much Peter's life sucks and Octavius isn't introduced until after that period.

2. Franco's still weak as Harry Osborn. Ironically, I think his strongest performance as Harry is in the next film, the weakest of the franchise.

3. Dragged out, humorless gags like the broom closet and elevator scenes.

4. Doc Ock's sentient arms, whose shrieks he can somehow understand.

5. Hokey acting from the New York City citizens ("Go, Spidey, go!").

6. Bad CGI in some places, like whenever Spidey or Ock gets electrocuted or when Spidey throws those two citizens to safety from the train.

7. The Earth shaking whenever Doc Ock walks around on his tentacles. He's not the fucking T. rex from Jurassic Park.

8. Peter losing and regaining his powers throughout the movie is NEVER FUCKING EXPLAINED.

I had a few more but decided to narrow it down to eight, given the film's villain. ;) Despite these gripes, I still like the movie.

8. Peter losing and regaining his powers throughout the movie is NEVER FUCKING EXPLAINED.

It sort of was. It was a confidence issue. If he didn't have the confidence in his abilities, he was going to fail.

Weak and cliched.

You've never heard of a psychosomatic illness?

Here's a helpful link explaining how stress and emotion can effect your body in real life. Sorry, some of the words are more than three syllables.

7. The Earth shaking whenever Doc Ock walks around on his tentacles. He's not the fucking T. rex from Jurassic Park.

3: The elevator scene is hilarious.

4: After the inhibitor was destroyed, the arms were hooked up directly to his brain.

7: If you had metal tentacles and went stomping around on them with enough force to crack through concrete, you'd make a decent tremor. He doesn't have to be the weight of a T-Rex to do that.

8: Yeah, Preston's right.

It sort of was. It was a confidence issue. If he didn't have the confidence in his abilities, he was going to fail.

Weak and cliched.

You've never heard of a psychosomatic illness?

Here's a helpful link explaining how stress and emotion can effect your body in real life. Sorry, some of the words are more than three syllables.

Not only that but between the 90s animated series and a few times in the comics, this is something with a precedence to happen. Your mood and stress does have an impact on your health and strength so no reason it shouldn't happen to a super-hero also.

Aren't most Marvel heroes' powers somehow affected by their emotions and/or mental state?

Hulk has no idea what you're talking about.

And there is no way that Ben Grimm could have been cured many times over, save mental blocks he's placed on himself.

4: After the inhibitor was destroyed, the arms were hooked up directly to his brain.

7: If you had metal tentacles and went stomping around on them with enough force to crack through concrete, you'd make a decent tremor. He doesn't have to be the weight of a T-Rex to do that.

3. It outstayed it's welcome.

4. What? Was it not the other way around? Were they not hooked his brain before having a will of their own?

7. Mmmmmmmm...maybe. I'm still not entirely sure.

8. Perhaps, but it could have been presented better. His mask prevented us from seeing him being bummed out or frustrated right before losing his powers, thus it's kind of a stretch.

4. What? Was it not the other way around? Were they not hooked his brain before having a will of their own?

8. Perhaps, but it could have been presented better. His mask prevented us from seeing him being bummed out or frustrated right before losing his powers, thus it's kind of a stretch.

4.) That was the point of the chip. In Doc Ock's own words, the chip lets him talk to the arms and keeps them from talking back. It's dialog in the fucking movie. Refute that, I dare you.

8.) Right, because he can't convey emotions through things like body language or voice. And I'm sure glad he didn't spend tons of fucking time with his mask off, complaining about how bad his life is...

...Oh, yeah, you complained about that already.

You can't have it both ways. Is his life terrible or do you not believe he's stressed?

3. It outstayed it's welcome.

7. Mmmmmmmm...maybe. I'm still not entirely sure.

3. Umm, that was kind of the point of the scene. He's in an elevator. Have you ever been in an elevator in a tall building? The things take a bit. That was part of the humor to the scene.

4. They set up the neural inhibitor earlier on in the movie. They actually spent two minute or so on it.

7. Sometimes it can be as simple as being near any large, 400 pound object falling. They can cause tremors, especially if it's strong enough to break concrete.

8. We get indicators of this nearly the entire movie up to this point. It's actually a testament to the movie that you can get this feeling without seeing his face.

As for mental and psychological effects on Marvel Superheores there are two big examples. Scarlet Witch's powers major league messed with her mind and her psychological state affected her control over her powers, even before Bendis. Storm's emotions define how her powers work. If she has a bad day, we could expect a hurricane b the end of the next week.

3. Sorry, but I maintain that that scene was WAY TOO FUCKING LONG, though not as much so as the broom closet.

4. Yes and Octavius says it allows him to control the arms and not vice versa. Are we supposed to assume that his subconscious controls them after the inhabiter is destroyed?

7. Alright, you guys win.

8. That is true, but the fact that it's never explained still smacks of lazy writing to me.

4. Yes and Octavius says it allows him to control the arms and not vice versa. Are we supposed to assume that his subconscious controls them after the inhabiter is destroyed?

8. That is true, but the fact that it's never explained still smacks of lazy writing to me.

4.) No. They have AI, that manipulates Otto. Like when he TALKS TO THEM.

8.) It's called subtlety. Not Raimi's strong suit, I'll admit, but it's subtle.

Honestly, I could keep this up, but my skull has a brick wall to take down.