What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8. That is true, but the fact that it's never explained still smacks of lazy writing to me.

Actually, lazy writing is spelling things out for your audience. There's a well known saying in writing, "Show, don't tell." It basically means that if you give your audience the hints, they'll be smart enough to pick up on it. If Spidey just says, "I can't use my powers because I'm sad" that's lazy writing. Your average audience is usually smart enough to pick up the subtle clues and figure out what's wrong with the hero.

8. That is true, but the fact that it's never explained still smacks of lazy writing to me.

Actually, lazy writing is spelling things out for your audience. There's a well known saying in writing, "Show, don't tell." It basically means that if you give your audience the hints, they'll be smart enough to pick up on it. If Spidey just says, "I can't use my powers because I'm sad" that's lazy writing. Your average audience is usually smart enough to pick up the subtle clues and figure out what's wrong with the hero.

the_more_you_know.jpg

the_more_you_know.jpg

Then apparently I didn't pick up the hints of a condition I had never heard of. Or you might just be reading into it. It isn't a very subtle film by any stretch of the imagination.

the_more_you_know.jpg

Then apparently I didn't pick up the hints of a condition I had never heard of. Or you might just be reading into it. It isn't a very subtle film by any stretch of the imagination.

Because losing your job, watching the girl you love from a distance as she becomes engaged to another man who's much more successful then you'll ever be, living in a shit hole apartment, listening to your best friend bad mouth you (even if he doesn't know about it), your Aunt dealing with losing her house, your other job being a hell hole where your boss berates you (once again, without knowing it's you), and doing terrible in your classes to the point where your grades are in danger is all stuff that I'm reading into. Oh, and then there's the part where the doctor tells him his health is bad due to stress. That's reading into it also. Yes, that part of writing is lazy but still, all the clue are there as to why Spidey's powers are failing him.

Equilibrium: I tried Ian, I really did. But...it wasn't that good. It starts off slow, and just doesn't get any better. I mean sure, it's meant to be Christian Bale opening his eyes to the colours of the world, but does it have to be that slow, and the fighting scenes be so just, bland. I think that's the only way I can mention this film, bland.

Equilibrium: I tried Ian, I really did. But...it wasn't that good. It starts off slow, and just doesn't get any better. I mean sure, it's meant to be Christian Bale opening his eyes to the colours of the world, but does it have to be that slow, and the fighting scenes be so just, bland. I think that's the only way I can mention this film, bland.

Suaved

Come on man it's 1984 with martial arts, it's a lot of fun. Plus at least 10 minutes of Sean Bean! Damn that's made me want to watch it.

Suaved

Come on man it's 1984 with martial arts, it's a lot of fun. Plus at least 10 minutes of Sean Bean! Damn that's made me want to watch it.

This.

And how on Earth can you find the action *bland*?? It features a fighting style I'd not seen before in gun kata and Bale's character slaughters more people than Ahnold does in Commando!!! I'll accept that the film has flaws but the action is definitely not what I'd call bland.

Suaved

This.

And how on Earth can you find the action *bland*?? It features a fighting style I'd not seen before in gun kata and Bale's character slaughters more people than Ahnold does in Commando!!! I'll accept that the film has flaws but the action is definitely not what I'd call bland.

I'm back. :smilewinkgrin:

Anyway, the fighting did nothing for me, it just sort was there. I get that it was different, but that doesn't mean it was better, I just couldn't get into it. Also the opening grated on me, they cut back to text on screen of what the guy was saying, at random points. So it would be this is our TIME TO WORK ON LIFE and that grated on me, a lot.

Edit: Next on the list is Salem's Lot. I've got about an hour in so far, and it seems like a really slow build. I've gotten to the scenes with the boy chapping at his brothers window, and can't help but think of how The Simpson's did that scene, in Bart Simpson's Dracula in Treehouse of Horror IV.

Also, what is Stephen King's fascination with writing about writers, Misery, IT and this.

Edited by SuaveStar

Hey Ian. Guess what.

We don't disagree on this one.

Hey Ian. Guess what.

We don't disagree on this one.

That signals a lunar eclipse!

That being said, it's easy to agree when Austen makes such a wrong statement. And I know it's technically an opinion rather than a statement, but you're still damn wrong!!!! :P

That being said, it's easy to agree when Austen makes such a wrong statement. And I know it's technically an opinion rather than a statement, but you're still damn wrong!!!! :P

The Suaving stands! :P

Anyway:

Salem's Lot: Three fucking hours, three hours long. Jesus. Anyway, it starts off strong, and then steadily collides off a cliff. I think it wants to stay true to some aspects of the book (The house of evil, main guys past in town) but if forgets to progress with these threads, and characters and plots dissappear entirely, such as surly boarding house drunk. And the antique story, and the villain holding the stupid pot for the woman to buy later in the week for her husbands birthday. All brought up, and never mentioned again.

Also, why the fuck do people turn into vampires, appear in two scenes and then fuck off? It feels like they could have made a whole series with this idea, and tried very hard to trim it down into three hours, and did it badly.

Oh:

Random girlfriend, yeah she wasn't a vampire, he killed her in the house. Didn't even bother looking. What a shitty tacked on ending.

I really looked forward to seeing this, as it was recommended to me, and I wasted three hours watching this. Just, terrible, and a lot of wasted potential.

Being John Malkovich: Fantastic. As always, this film slowly builds to, when you think about it, its incredibly dark conclusion. It really makes you wonder about certain threads of the film, and how they progress after the film, and really makes you want to take a moment and just think everything you just watched through. Also, side comment: If you make a DVD, don't make bullshit extras. The only real special feature is a two minute interview with Spike Jonze driving his car and end with him getting out and throwing up. It's not funny, and a waste of time for something that I would actually want to watch.

Blood Work: Clint Eastwood is just a fucking badass. This was good. I don't think it'd stand to a second viewing. Thinking back, the film really only works thanks to Eastwood and Jeff Daniels and how much effort they put in. Without them, this would definitely be a poor film. But with them, it sort of works, to an extent.

This weeks Family Guy started off really good, but then it just got more and more boring. The ending was the exact same thing they had happen in the last episode as well, so that was disappointing. The Simpson's on the other hand, started off weak, and became as enjoyable as The Simpson's can be these days.

So the Silent Hill movie sequel started filming today. Entirely unknowns casted as far as I can tell.

Michael J Bassett is taking over the writing and directing duties. Never seen any of his work but apparently he made a Solomon Kane movie that a lot of people liked.

This one is going to be based on Silent Hill 3, so, we'll see how it goes.

This weekend I finally got around to seeing a few episodes of Community. I got the pilot on iTunes free when it came out but never got around to watching more. However, the few episodes that I saw this weekend convinced me to add the season 1 DVDs to my Netflix queue. So far I'm enjoying it and from what I've heard it's a great show, so I have a lot to look forward to. Yay! =)

This weekend I finally got around to seeing a few episodes of Community. I got the pilot on iTunes free when it came out but never got around to watching more. However, the few episodes that I saw this weekend convinced me to add the season 1 DVDs to my Netflix queue. So far I'm enjoying it and from what I've heard it's a great show, so I have a lot to look forward to. Yay! =)

It's also on sale at Best Buy this week.