What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Arrebato - Spanish art house film from the 80s. Naturally, it's about drugs.

L'amour fou - This movie is 252 minutes long. I've gotten more French practice in the last week than in four years of high school. It's the very drawn out story of a strained relationship told through alternating film gauges.

The Angelic Conversation - A visually obscure movie about a relationship between two gay men, told through 14 of Shakesphere's sonnets. Still feels relevant despite being made in 1985. Awesome soundtrack.

At Land - Maya Deren is responsible for my favourite short film of all time, Meshes of the Afternoon. She was a gorgeous, eccentric and brilliant woman whom I find endlessly intriguing. I've seen all but two of her works at this point and I've been impressed every time. I'll be honest, a lot of these other movies were starting to take a toll on me, but this was exactly the refresher I needed. Seriously, if you have even the slightest interest in experimental film, seek her stuff out. A lot of it's on YouTube.

A perfect world: It starts off alright, but then it just got so long, and incredibly dragged out, if it was 30 minutes shorter, it would have been a lot better. Clint Eastwood plays his regular bad ass cop, who seems to dislike everyone, however he has no reason to actually be in the film, he does nothing of consequence.

Raging Bull: I hated this. I found it to be long, dull and the fighting scenes choppy and dull, and you could tell that half the shots missed their targets. The only nice thing I can say is when DeNiro puts on 50 pounds, you can barely tell it's him anymore, and he sort of looks like a fatter, older Ben Savage, AKA Corey from Boy Meets World.

American History X: A great film, spoiled by a crappy ending, that comes out of nowhere, and taints the rest of the film. Edward Norton is awesome as the former skinhead, who just wants to lead a normal life, and Edward Furlong is great as the little brother, being brought into the racist world, and I thought Cameron, the leader of the skinheads was a great prick. However, all this is ruined by the film just choosing a random point to end, tie up a thread nobody cared about, and then leave one open "We need you to infiltrate your old gang" "No....they'd kill me. Fine, I'll meet you here in half an hour" and that is just dropped in favour of the shock ending. Watch to see Edward Norton playing both a psychotic skinhead, and also a converted man, trying to redeem his life, but if you don't want to see that, then give this a miss.

Austen, for your own safety, do me a favour and never watch the following movies.

Jacob's Ladder

Dr. Strangelove

City of Lost Children

12 Angry Men

Sabrina

The Seventh Seal

American History X

Eraserhead

Dark City

Amélie

Seven Samurai

Full Metal Jacket

Run Lola Run

Austen, for your own safety, do me a favour and never watch the following movies.

Jacob's Ladder

Dr. Strangelove

City of Lost Children

12 Angry Men

Sabrina

The Seventh Seal

American History X

Eraserhead

Dark City

Amélie

Seven Samurai

Full Metal Jacket

Run Lola Run

Three down, ten to go :smilewinkgrin:

The only film left on that list that I actually really want to see is Full Metal Jacket.

Did you suave Strangelove?

Cause I may have to actually murder you.

Quick look back, and I said:

I don't think I'll go out of my way to watch it again, as it wasn't that great to me, but it still was enjoyable. As long as you can get past the first half hour or so.

So, kind of. Yes, yes I did. :P

RIP Austen.....we hardly knew ye.

Dubs, go easy on his organs - the donor list of the UK would be so welcome to his innards, even his Scottish liver!

I think you'll find his organs unusable once the traditional rites of removing them, stuffing them into his stomach and baking it for 40 minutes have been observed.

RIP Austen.....we hardly knew ye.

Dubs, go easy on his organs - the donor list of the UK would be so welcome to his innards, even his Scottish liver!

I think you'll find his organs unusable once the traditional rites of removing them, stuffing them into his stomach and baking it for 40 minutes have been observed.

It's not easy being me :cry:

I'm very nearly done with all of the letter A.

Archangel - 1990 black and white dramedy. It's portrayed like a silent movie, but all of the dialogue is spoken, which makes for an interesting disconnect, if nothing else.

L'Age d'Or - This is sort of the spiritual successor to Un Chien Andalou, which is just about the most famous surrealist short of all time. This is quite a bit easier to follow though.

Arabic Numeral Series - These are 19 short films of varying length and quality, totaling about 3 hours. Lots of work with light and dark here that's actually pretty effective.

Aria - Ten operatic shorts created by different directors, most being unknowns outside of Robert Altman and Jean-Luc Godard. Good at showing just how many different permutations can sprout from the same basic ideas.

Just finished Battlestar Galactica. The 'net tells me there's a lot of dispute over the final episodes quality, but I greatly enjoyed them. Sure, it didn't solve every dangling plot thread and probably doesn't make any real sense, but it was fun. I'd be first in line for a proper sequel series or TV movie set on current Earth.

Battlestar Galactica- The Plan- The plan obviously being to spend 10 minute writing this pointless addendum.

Paul- Kind of amusing on its own, but really disappointing considering the hopes for a new Pegg/Frost written film. I guess what this film perhaps proves is that the real genuis behind Shawn and Hot Fuzz belonged to Edgar Wright.

Paul- Kind of amusing on its own, but really disappointing considering the hopes for a new Pegg/Frost written film. I guess what this film perhaps proves is that the real genuis behind Shawn and Hot Fuzz belonged to Edgar Wright.

It's also their first film made in the US as opposed to the UK, which I think has something to do with it as well. Agree the lack of Wright has an impact, but there are other factors as well.

Just finished Battlestar Galactica. The 'net tells me there's a lot of dispute over the final episodes quality, but I greatly enjoyed them. Sure, it didn't solve every dangling plot thread and probably doesn't make any real sense, but it was fun. I'd be first in line for a proper sequel series or TV movie set on current Earth.

Battlestar Galactica- The Plan- The plan obviously being to spend 10 minute writing this pointless addendum.

See, when we got to the last half of the last episode, it felt like the characters became the director's mouthpiece for his agenda, rather than, y'know, the characters. That final montage kind of drove it home for me. And the fact that they chose to focus on that rather than

what the frak Starbuck was by the end there

kind of miffed me. :P The rest of it is spectacular. I just prefer to pretend the last half hour or so doesn't exist, except for

Adama and Roslin's final moments.

And yeah. The Plan isn't anything you need to see, unless you want to understand the retcons.

Caprica's solid, especially as you get towards the last half of the series, in term of sequels.

And the fact that they chose to focus on that rather than

what the frak Starbuck was by the end there

kind of miffed me. :P

I always thought it was pretty clear that they said

Starbuck was an angel,

or at the very least it's a purposefully ambiguous point. I kinda loved it.

Angel's Egg - Wacky surrealist anime by the guy that did Ghost in the Shell. Interesting change of pace, if nothing else.

And with that, I have officially completed the letter A. Only 25 more to go.

Veronica Mars

Season 1: It took me a few episodes to get into it, but once it did I thought the season was excellent.

Season 2: Way too many clues that left me extremely confused and I thought the Big Bad reveal in the last couple of episodes came out of pretty much nowhere. At least in season 1 we got to see

Aaron Echolls beating the crap out of people from the very beginning

so the reveal at the end wasn't completely shocking. The season 2 character was starting to become my sister's favorite (though I honestly never really saw the appeal) before we found out they were the bad guy. Still, I enjoyed watching this season overall.

Season 3: Lots of Logan/Veronica, which I liked, but not as much Wallace or Mac, which I didn't like.

Also, I laugh at how badly the town of Neptune wishes it was Palo Alto. The wannabe-Stanford Hearst College, rich people owning software/technology-related companies, the spoiled rich teenagers who think there's nothing else to do in town but drink and do drugs, the actual slideshow about Palo Alto in a season 2 episode...the list goes on. For the record, Palo Alto is way cooler than Neptune, and not just because Neptune doesn't actually exist.

Honestly though, there are clues set up about Beaver all of season 2 though. Is it as direct as the Aaron Echols clues? Oh god no but try watching Season 2 again and you'll totally see them.

On the subject of season 3, I do find it funny that when Mac became a regular, she started to get less screen time than when she was a recurring character.