What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

Despite having a shit title ("Day of the Dumpster"), the very first episode of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers is still rather fun. There's some decent acting mixed in with kid-friendly cheese, and the characters are well-established by the end. My only real gripe with it is that the fight with Goldar is cut way too short. An extra five minutes would have helped that greatly.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Episode two, "High Five," is a quick one that doesn't move the characters forward, and takes the first step into the "generic issues" trap. This time, Trini's acrophobia is addressed, as she must overcome it to save Billy's life. Yawn!

Strangely though, we only see one Zord, and the Megazord never appears. That was a pleasant surprise, because I assumed it popped up in every episode.

Oh, and there are at least four "morph" puns.

In "Teamwork" we learn that pollution is bad and teamwork is for winners! Yay, winners! Boooo, pollution!

Okay, I'm not watching this expecting Emmy-level television and I do get that the show was for kids, but it feels like they're talking down to the audience. I mean, they don't cover any topics concerning pollution. Just that it's bad. Talk about the benefits of recycling, how toxic waste makes water undrinkable, or why teleporting is a more eco-friendly form of travel than cars. Something! Anything!

Apparently, in one day, Jason can do 1000 reps on the bench press. Then another 1000. Oh, then a third!

Tell me again why Tommy is seen as the cool one. What, 'cause he had long hair? Pfft! Hippy! Let's see him beat up two monsters in between 3000 reps!

I didn't realize the Zords were slowly doled out in the original series.

The fifth episode, "Different Drum," has Kimberly's deaf friend act all kinds of stupid. First she sees some new friends kidnapped by a monster. Instead of going to the cops, she follows the monster to a cave. Second, she continues to not get the cops, and runs back to Ernie's to tell Jason that the other kids have been abducted. Third, she then takes Jason & Co. to the cave. At that point she hides behind a bush, and completely ignores the fact that the five people she brought there disappear and the five Power Rangers show up.

Granted, we're not supposed to over-think it, but come on. She's deaf, not stupid.

Just finished Dhani Tackles the Globe. It follows Dhani Jones (now former NFL player) as he tries different sports around the world while somewhat gaining some culture. The second season is better than the first, but I think the sports are better in the first. Best episode was Mexico City (Lucha Libre).

Side Note: I have no idea how he was able to do this and not violate his NFL contract. I know some have clauses that players cannot even ride motorcycles. Yet, here he is in a kickboxing match, playing beach volleyball and playing a Lucha Libre heel. At least he didn't smoke pot in Jamaica.

Watching through the first series of Sherlock, saw the first episode tonight. Enjoying it so far, there are characterizations that are similar to Eleven, but different enough that I can keep the shows separate, the way they show the deductions is a touch annoying, but overall, loving the hell out of Freeman and Cumberbatch (who sounds like a young Alan Rickman), and I'm probably going to watch it the next few nights and start S2 by the end of the week.

Since Hound is my favourite Sherlock story (Not that I'm vastly experienced but I'd read and seen adaptations of that one more than the others) I'm very excited for this weekend. Actually watched the 2nd episode from last year today, better than I remembered. Still weaker than the others but there's stuff to like.

"Food Fight," episode six of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, was written in 10 minutes, but it's good silly fun. And the principal has a face turn at the end, which was surprising.

Also, Walter Emanuel Jones might be my favorite actor on the show. As Zack, he's having a blast jumping around, showing off his moves, and simply being the fun one.

I think as time went on, Amy (Kimberly) became the best of the original five, once more of Amy's personality bled over into Kim. She got a bit more fierce and mature; by the end of her story she was basically second-in-command of the team behind Tommy.

I do think, though, that once he came on board, Tommy was probably the best character there. Someone on Podcast Sentai Power Rangers (might've been Linkara as a guest host) mentioned that Tommy was the only one of the MMPR to actually have an ongoing storyline; everyone else was just "there."

The child actress in "Big Sisters" is not only a plot device, but they dubbed over her lines with another actress. Worse, the new voice is trying too hard to be precious. Ugh!

That said, I kinda liked this one. Billy converted a VW Bug into a super-car, Rita rode a flying penny-farthing, and there was another hint that Trini and Zack have something going on the side.

For the second episode in a row, Rita kidnaps a young friend of the Power Rangers. I don't mind similar evil schemes, but when they're shown back-to-back, it comes off as poor planning by the production team. With the way the episodes are structured, there's no reason "I, Eye Guy" couldn't have been saved for a later date.