What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Contagion - A very good movie, though I have two minor complaints.

1) A vaccine LOTTERY? Really?

2) It just sort of ends. No explanation of why Matt Damon was immune. No indication of what happened next for the blogger or the doctor that didn't take his vaccine. It all felt like it was building to this huge twist at the end that never comes.

My current LOVEFiLM discs:

Pontypool: Chosen after its review on Dread Media, this is a smart zombie audioplay, which is set to film and refuses to call the hordes "zombies" (I believe wikipedia/IMDB has them down as "conversationalists"). There's a brilliant central performance from Stephen McHattie, some nice sound design - playing with the fact the film is set inside a radio station - and some good direction which keeps the tension going throughout. Everyone should at least see this film.

Igby Goes Down: I like most every actor involved in this film and the whole it's pretty good. The problem I have is that the protagonist is an entitled arsehole who I can't feel sorry for in any way. This isn't Kieran Culkin's fault as he delivers his material well, but his character is an utter douche. Still, I get to see Claire Danes, Ryan Phillippe, Amanda Peet, Jeff Goldblum, Bill Pullman and Susan Sarandon being awesome. If they'd made the lead character either sympathetic or even gone into his douchey behaviour a bit more, I'd probably hail this as a favourite movie of mine.

My offer has been extended to 3 discs per delivery, so I only just got sent The Godfather separately. Thoughts on that to come tomorrow.

Igby Goes Down: I like most every actor involved in this film and the whole it's pretty good. The problem I have is that the protagonist is an entitled arsehole who I can't feel sorry for in any way. This isn't Kieran Culkin's fault as he delivers his material well, but his character is an utter douche. Still, I get to see Claire Danes, Ryan Phillippe, Amanda Peet, Jeff Goldblum, Bill Pullman and Susan Sarandon being awesome. If they'd made the lead character either sympathetic or even gone into his douchey behaviour a bit more, I'd probably hail this as a favourite movie of mine.

I do like Igby Goes Down, my protracted initial hunt to see it was a long-time in-joke with a friend. Should probably revisit it to reassess my opinion but I liked it at the time.

Midnight in Paris: Possibly the best film that Woody Allen has done in years. At the very least, it's his best film since Hannah and Her Sisters. It just has this classical feel to it, it's witty, and I just love the way that the film progresses. Honestly, in a perfect world, this would be the front-runner for Best Picture. Still, it's almost assured a nomination and a win for best Original Screenplay.

My offer has been extended to 3 discs per delivery, so I only just got sent The Godfather separately. Thoughts on that to come tomorrow.

I will tell you right now Ian, despite what 3/4ths of the English Speaking world will tell you, it is perfectly acceptable to be disappointed by The Godfather.

Like fuck it is. It's a masterpiece, and anyone who disagrees is to be banished to the frozen wastes.

I will tell you right now Ian, despite what 3/4ths of the English Speaking world will tell you, it is perfectly acceptable to be disappointed by The Godfather.

Like fuck it is. It's a masterpiece, and anyone who disagrees is to be banished to the frozen wastes.

I am SuaveStar, and I approve of this post.

The Godfather: Well, that was pretty damn good! Rather than talk about its many excellent qualities, I'll throw up an observation - how on earth was Brando only 48 when that film was released?!? The makeup is that good that he looks, at the very least, in his late fifties.

I'm watching an episode of He-Man where Skeletor is trying to overthrow a circus because he's bored and there happens to be a circus he hasn't overthrown yet. He-Man is fighting him now, largely via swinging around on a trapeze and tricking Skeletor into grabbing hold of a rocket and shooting him into space.

I love this show so goddamn much.