What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

Christ on a stick, Dick Tracy is easily one of the best comic book movies of all time! It seamlessly combines film noir (done excellently in color, mind you) and comic books! The acting is spot-on perfect, the music is sultry, the makeup is out of this world, the sexual tension between Dick and Breathless is wild, the sets and backgrounds are pure works of art, the cast could not be better, and the dialog is perfectly pulpy yet delivered with charm and believability.

Forget Sin City. Dick Tracy tops it in every way!

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Woman in Black- Not a bad film per se, but Daniel Radcliffe simply isn't old enough to carry this sort of thing yet. Plus the rest of it ticks literally EVERY horror cliche (short semi-spoiler list.

Villagers distrustful of outsiders who all share a terrible fear/secret.

Possessed children

Dead Children ghosts

Shrieking whitefaced woman wearing all black- likes to pop up on screen for two seconds or less.

Big haunted manor

Candlelight

Creepy wind up children's toys that go off of their own accord

Ghost scratching eyes of old photos

Bloke with a horse, cart and thick accent who drives the hero up to the big house

Death at a Funeral (UK version) - The comedy farce is a difficult genre to perfect, but when it works (ie/ most every episode of Fawlty Towers) it is very satisfying. This is one of those examples, albeit the laughs come sporadically. Buoyed by a very good mostly British cast - including Peter Egan, who I've seen in a stage version of another farce called Noises Off, which was incredibly funny - the film also includes an American dwarf actor and Alan Tudyk, who spends half the film naked. I'll be watching the Chris Rock remake when my next rental discs come through the post for comparison, but I fear a lot is going to get missed in the translation.

Clerks - First time I've ever watched it. I get the hype. Even though the film was clearly over-written for the actors involved, it made for a very compelling film. I'm using this as a starting point to go through Kevin Smith's filmography with each LOVEFiLM rental, so that I can chart his rise and seeming fall.

Loving Adventure Time. Awesome family friendly show that's some how snuck in episodes based around the Exorcist and load of other inappropriate material. Mostly though its just flat out fun. Plus Neil Patrick Harris guest starred at one point. He's in everything.

50/50 - Agree with all the critics I heard that were really talking this up. It's a film about cancer, yet it is so full of witty dialogue, heaps of laugh out loud comedy but also keeps the main theme front of mind the whole time. Highly recommend.

I actually think Clerks 2 is a better movie than the first one. I think it's his best storytelling to date. It has a lot of emotion, which he's not very good at...cough..Jersey Girl....cough

I agree with both of these comments. 50/50 is a great film, and shows Seth Rogen works best as the best friend to the main character, and never the main character.

Clerks 2 is all round a better film. Not just in the production values, but it actually tells a story, instead of just being about two friends being annoyed by customers all day.

Glen Gary Glenross: Alec Baldwin's opening monologue is amazing, the highlight of the film for me. The rest of the film was very enjoyable, the only complaint I have is that it just sort of reaches an ending, and that's it.

Oh, and Phineas and Ferb is a great kids show, that I'm really enjoying right now.

I've also started watching Twin Peaks,

is there no one in that town who isn't corrupt in some way?

Loving Adventure Time. Awesome family friendly show that's some how snuck in episodes based around the Exorcist and load of other inappropriate material. Mostly though its just flat out fun. Plus Neil Patrick Harris guest starred at one point. He's in everything.

Could not agree more. Adventure Time is one of my favorite shows on television right now, animated or otherwise.

Blackadder the Third - I think popular opinion is that the Blackadder chronology gets better with each series, culminating with the sublime Blackadder Goes Forth, but I always had a problem with that as I could never decide whether I preferred the second series over the third or not. Qualified historian that I am, my interest in British history tails off around the Restoration and picks back up with the Victorian era, so the third series falls right in that grey area in my knowledge.

The niggles are that the cast is stripped down to four regulars, and one of those is Mrs Miggins who's a virtual non-entity. That being said, Blackadder is at his most manipulative in this series, Baldrick is at his most grotesque and Hugh Laurie is an awesome addition as Prince George. You also get cameos from Stephen Fry, Tim McInnery and Miranda Richardson for some reassuring familiarity, as well as Red Dwarf's Chris Barrie, Dalziel & Pascoe's Warren Clarke and Robbie Coltrane. And considering I don't know a lot about the era, the topics that the episodes centre around are very ripe comedic scenarios: the rise of Parliamentary democracy, Johnson's Dictionary, the French Revolution, Highwaymen etc. It's very deftly done, though I still prefer Blackadder II.

Taken - Damn! An impressively frenetic film that brings to mind Crank, if only because of the timeframe element adds to the rapid need for action. Neeson's telephone threat that he will use a specific set of skills to retrieve his daughter, which essentially advertises the film, is one he delivers on in spades. I'm not entirely sure what they're going to do for the sequel - like Crank (or The Hangover for that matter), it sounds like a perfect idea for a one-shot film rather than a franchise - but I'd still be interested in seeing it

Death at a Funeral (US version) - Perfectly serviceable entertainment, but if you've seen the original, there is absolutely no reason to watch this remake. ALL the character beats are the same. At least Let the Right One In/Let Me In had changes in them - this merely changes the nationality and ethnicitiy of all involved. The acting's fine, except for Luke Wilson, who isn't just dull, he's also noticeably put on weight from his frat pack heyday.

Get Smart - I remember watching reruns of the TV show as a child and I saw the film remake in the cinema with my siblings. I really like the film because of the perfromances within. Steve Carell's a great choice for Maxwell Smart, as there's still a certain amount of bumbling to the character, but also a lot of unconventional intelligence. Anne Hathway's performance in this convinces me she'll be a half-decent Selina Kyle, whilst The Rock is a lot of fun throughout. Recommended.

Blackadder the Third - I think popular opinion is that the Blackadder chronology gets better with each series, culminating with the sublime Blackadder Goes Forth, but I always had a problem with that as I could never decide whether I preferred the second series over the third or not. Qualified historian that I am, my interest in British history tails off around the Restoration and picks back up with the Victorian era, so the third series falls right in that grey area in my knowledge.

The niggles are that the cast is stripped down to four regulars, and one of those is Mrs Miggins who's a virtual non-entity. That being said, Blackadder is at his most manipulative in this series, Baldrick is at his most grotesque and Hugh Laurie is an awesome addition as Prince George. You also get cameos from Stephen Fry, Tim McInnery and Miranda Richardson for some reassuring familiarity, as well as Red Dwarf's Chris Barrie, Dalziel & Pascoe's Warren Clarke and Robbie Coltrane. And considering I don't know a lot about the era, the topics that the episodes centre around are very ripe comedic scenarios: the rise of Parliamentary democracy, Johnson's Dictionary, the French Revolution, Highwaymen etc. It's very deftly done, though I still prefer Blackadder II.

When was Chris Barrie in Blackadder? I can't recall. The three main cast members thing is strange at first, when comparing it to the first and second series, but it does let them give more development to the Prince Regent and Blackadder's relationship, and how bitter Blackadder truly is, about having to be the servant of the Prince Regent, and not part of the nobility himself.

But yeah, I agree with everything you said here, Ian. Though 2 will always be my favourite series of Blackadder over goes forth, as it is the one I grew up watching over and over again as a kid.

IMO, the Johnson's Dictionary episode of Blackadder the Third is in the running for the funniest half hour in television history. Ever. Ever.