What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You know, not really. Outside of Rocky V, there's not a bad movie in the bunch. Stallone is actually a pretty good director, and he knows how to play at the heart strings of an audience. Balboa is such a meathead, that the fact that Sly is an awful actor just adds to his charm, and they generally surround him with good actors.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Rocky franchise. It might be the best movie series ever. However, on paper it had me worried. A film about Rocky coming out of retirement to fight the reigning young star wasn't a wholly original plot. His rocky (no pun intended) relationship with Robert wasn't anything new. And Talia Shire's refusal to return removed a major element from the series. Despite that, Stallone turned the cliches on their head and made Adrian's death work for the film. What could have been a cash grab was a very emotional, loving finale to the series.

I really, truly think that the whole franchise has a special place in Stallone's heart, I mean it's what made him famous. As he's aged, he's really matured, moreso than almost anyone in Hollywood. He's not a great actor, but he really does have love for the characters he plays and the stories he tells. And I've got a ton of respect for him as such. Both this and Rambo were real returns to the franchise's roots, thanks very much to Sly's involvement.

And the Expendables is the best idea on paper, ever.

Last comment on Rocky Balboa to me, it's what Rocky V should have been.

Rocky V wasn't bad when watched alone, but when watched with the rest, it is horribly underwhelming.

Also has anyone else noticed that during Rocky III Adrian and Paulies relationship is made into comedic value and Paulie is made a comedy character instead of the dark alcohlic he was in the first two movies, now he is the manchild brother of Adrian.

Rocky V did happen. If it hadn't, why would he be living in Philly? As it pertains to his brain damage, according to Wiki:

A plot element from the fifth movie is not addressed in this film. Rocky was diagnosed to have brain damage and advised never to fight again. Stallone clarified this apparent inconsistency in an interview, remarking:

"When Rocky was diagnosed with brain damage, it must be noted that many athletes have a form of brain damage including football players, soccer players, and other individuals in contact sports such as rugby, etc. Rocky never went for a second opinion and yielded to his wife's wishes to stop. So with the advent of new research techniques into brain damage, Rocky was found to be normal among fighters, and he was suffering the results of a severe concussion. By today's standards Rocky Balboa would be given a clean bill of health for fighters."

I'm slowly working my way through the Wire. Just started season three on Monday. Great stuff so far.

My housemates are halfway through the season 5 boxed set I lent them, they are completely hooked on the show.

And yes, even though Sly claimed that he'd like to pretend Rocky V didn't happen it still makes sense that it did. Its why he's not super-rich and its why he lives a reasonably average life in Philly.

Guest DCAUFan1051

A Pup Named Scooby Doo...... this show is 10x better then the young adult 70's one that it came from I like seeing the gang and scooby younger it's more funny that way. Every time I happen to turn on Boomerang and see Scooby Doo Where Are You I don't laugh at all.

Cadyshack II love that movie

I;m sorry but I cannot personaly stand Stewart Lee he is a pompous ass who thinks he's funnier than he is.

I'm taking this reference from Stewart Lee Stand up DVD.

(I know he co-wrote Jerry Springer the opera)

But I do respect your opinion.

I take your last point and respond in kind, but I find him to be at his best on that DVD. For one thing, he has the balls to perform in front of a Glaswegian audience, instigating why Braveheart is god-awful (which it is) and implying that William Wallace was a gay paedophile. Any pomposity in his assertions I take to be firmly tongue in cheek.

I;m sorry but I cannot personaly stand Stewart Lee he is a pompous ass who thinks he's funnier than he is.

I take your last point and respond in kind, but I find him to be at his best on that DVD. For one thing, he has the balls to perform in front of a Glaswegian audience, instigating why Braveheart is god-awful (which it is) and implying that William Wallace was a gay paedophile. Any pomposity in his assertions I take to be firmly tongue in cheek.

Stewart Lee's style of comedy isn't for everyone but I really like it. He builds on the trust between audience and performer more than any other stand-up I've seen. Plus he's absolutely right about Dan Brown. His shows Stand-up Comedian, 90's Comedian and 41st best Stand-up Comedian are amongst my favorite comedy shows.

This morning I've watched a couple of episodes of QI, the first episode of Ring of Honor which has more wrestling than any other wrestling company around and I've started to watch Red Riding 1980. Paddy Considine investigating the Yorkshire Ripper case? TV doesn't get much better.

I'm going to have to watch the BSG finale again. I don't know if I liked it or not.

Now watching Stephen Fry in America. This is possibly the most complimentary program about the USA that wasn't made in the USA, he's got such an obvious and genuine affection for the country as a whole and a desire to make us appreciate it.

Stewart Lee's style of comedy isn't for everyone but I really like it. He builds on the trust between audience and performer more than any other stand-up I've seen. Plus he's absolutely right about Dan Brown. His shows Stand-up Comedian, 90's Comedian and 41st best Stand-up Comedian are amongst my favorite comedy shows.

After seeing 41st Best Stand-up Comedian live in Derby last year, he was then selling copies of 90s Comedian after the gig which he'd sign. It's only available in sleeve form as no major DVD distributer wanted to touch it following the furore over Jerry Springer: The Opera, so a mini-label filmed and distributed it themselves.

Now watching Stephen Fry in America. This is possibly the most complimentary program about the USA that wasn't made in the USA, he's got such an obvious and genuine affection for the country as a whole and a desire to make us appreciate it.

With the exception of Miami!

After seeing 41st Best Stand-up Comedian live in Derby last year, he was then selling copies of 90s Comedian after the gig which he'd sign. It's only available in sleeve form as no major DVD distributer wanted to touch it following the furore over Jerry Springer: The Opera, so a mini-label filmed and distributed it themselves.

Fortunately its popped up on iTunes recently! They are also selling the 20 minute play Pea Green Boat which I'd like to check out but its a tad expensive for what it is.

With the exception of Miami!

Yes, I just finished that episode. Its the one place he's been unremittingly negative on.

His reaction to the college football game was excellent, especially when the plane flew over.

My main problem was that Stewart Lee started his 2005-2006 stand up gig in Glasgow talking about 9/11 and ending talking about Princess Diana.

But I have no problem if your or Stavros or my mum who like him and his stand up style. Everyone has different tastes.

Anyhow I am going to try and watch the matrix trilogy for only the second time as I only ever saw the second and third movie once and thought they sucked then, lets see if any changed over the past few years.

My main problem was that Stewart Lee started his 2005-2006 stand up gig in Glasgow talking about 9/11 and ending talking about Princess Diana.

But I have no problem if your or Stavros or my mum who like him and his stand up style. Everyone has different tastes.

I do agree that comedy sets based on those sorts of subjects can be a mixed bag but I think a good entertainer will make the specific subject clear. With Diana it was the shrieking hysteria of a good portion of the nation. With 9/11 it was about breaking tension in a scatological way. Someone I went to school with for over ten years died on 7/7 but I wasn't offended when Stewart Lee discussed it on one of his shows because he was needling away at the comedian's response to these events in an honest way, he wasn't diminishing the crime.

David Cross also does an excellent set on September 11th. Maybe I'm not easily offended anymore, but I think its good to be open to this sort of thing. The opposite leads to the absurd response that the Jerry Springer Opera got.

I am absolutely fine with people not liking the material though, its sensitive and like you said, everyone has different tastes.

Oh Stavros, I'm not saying I'm sensitive about the subjects.

I'm saying that these things happened years before he did this set and he didn't change his material and update it with the times.

He got out of stand-up in 2000 and returned in 2005 so he hadn't commented on 9/11 himself. Its a fair criticism though.