What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watched Super 8 on the weekend. Not sure what all the fuss was about, it seemed pretty by the numbers to me. That isn't always a bad thing, but when so many people were going on about it I didn't think it did anything amazing. The girl in it was pretty damn talented though, the rest of the kids were just ok, oh the kid who lost his mum is pretty good in it as well.

House of the Devil - I can respect its devotion to filming techniques of a bygone era, but I absolutely hated this. There's a balance to be reached between tension and exploitation and this goes so far in the former direction that it becomes an absolute bore. A girl (albeit, a gorgeous one) walks around a house for over an hour afraid of her own shadow, only to tack on ten minutes of... whatever the fuck that was at the end.

Quarantine 2 - The first one wasn't exactly full of geniuses, but this movie may hold the record for most aggressively stupid characters in a horror film. Contains nothing that made the predecessor either visually or thematically interesting. Somehow has an 86% on Rotten Tomatoes.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched all the Marvel Animated Movies on Netflix.

Next Avengers - Not horrible, but if you are going for a kids team, why not go for Power Pack. I want a Power Pack movie damn it. Also, the Wasp kid is annoying.

Doctor Strange - I thought this was solid. The plot is predictable, but I enjoyed getting from A to B. Animation of the magic was really good.

Invincible Iron Man - This was ass. Animation was poor and the story was shit. Also, don't put the classic 'Red & Gold' on the cover if he never wears that armor.

Thor: Tales of Asgard - By far the best of the lot. I find myself liking Thor a lot more than I ever thought I would. I specially love the teenage Thor; out to prove his worth to Odin. It reminds me of Thor: Son of Asgard which I loved as well. Good stuff.

Hulk vs. - I think this one was hyped up a bit too much for me. The Thor half dragged a bit and I wasn't that engaged with the Wolverine half.

Planet Hulk - This was pretty decent, but had a big flaw from the start. What Hulk is this? 'Hulk Smash' Hulk, 'Smart' Hulk, 'Jaded Punk' Hulk, ect.? As I never read the comic, I have no idea. I mean hell, why is he not changing back into Banner? Thinking as a casual Hulk reader, I know 3 things about him and this doesn't follow two of them.

Ultimate Avengers - This was too short. Way too much time gathering the forces, not enough time using said forces. Also, the big terrible threat? Very weak.

Ultimate Avengers 2 - Kinda odd watching this and seeing some parallels with the live action movie. But really, this is not good. And the animation is okay, but Black Widow just has a horrible design that is not animated well in the least.

I'd say that these ended up with a record of 1 Great - 2 Good - 3 Average - 2 Ass.

Really enjoying the X-men, in spite of the horrible animation. Just three things to mention-

1- Jean Grey is somehow even more irritating than I remember.

2- Gambit is literally terminally stupid. He keeps trying to kiss Rogue in spite of the obvious, it's moronic.

3- Why do some characters like Storm, Logan or Jean chance clothes all the time, but Beast only ever wears his absurd panties?

additional thoughts as I have them-

Jubilee just, no kidding, left a note on the fridge for the rest of the team to alert them that she was flying to Russia to prevent the overthrow of the government.

Two more great moments in X-men- Jean Grey saying there's stuff she must do alone and flying off gave me a strong "I have to go now. My planet needs me" vibe.

Rogue swinging Hepzibah aka cat lady around by her tail, complete with ReewwwReeewww cat-noises.

Moonrise Kingdom - Very strange movie, not at all what I was expecting. I think I've decided that I liked it but I was kinda shocked by the whole thing. Benjamin Britten's music is used brilliantly throughout the whole movie. Wes Anderson is still one of my favorite directors, and once I got over how different the movie was I could really appreciate it.