What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

Carry On Spying - One of the highest points of the franchise, not to mention the beginning of the best run of the series. Kenneth Williams drops his posh persona for the snide characterisation he had in Hancock's Half Hour and acts as the inept leader of a bunch of trainee spies - Barbara Windsor (in her first Carry On), Charles Hawtrey and Bernard "Wilf" Cribbins. Jim Dale is the frustrated Bond stand-in as Williams and chums bumble their way into saving the day. At its heart, it's a Norman Hudis script, but Talbot Rothwell turns the story on its head, whilst paying homage to early Connery Bond films and The Third Mile, whilst the film is shot in black & white to add to the noir feel.

...who am I kidding, none of you know what I'm talking about...

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yesterday Megan and I watched four movies because the kids were with my parents.

Mansome: a funny and flip documentary by Morgan Spurlock about modern male grooming. Made better by the cooperation of Jason Bateman and Will Arnett.

Young Adult: even schlumping it up, Charlize looks hotter than about anybody else on earth. This is an amazingly well-written movie. I'd take back everything I said about Diablo Cody but I'm not sure I ever said it but I thought it. This is brilliant. It has one of the most powerful and unbelievable endings I've ever seen in a movie. And Patton Oswalt WAS robbed for Supporting Actor.

The Other F Word: a funny, horribly sad and empowering documentary about all of my heroes who were in punk bands in the eighties and nineties and are now struggling to deal with being fathers. Well, all my heroes and the guy from Everclear and Blink 182, anyway. This is probably as close as I will ever get to being the subject of a documentary. Jim Lindbergh maintains as the nicest guy in rock and roll, and as it turns out, I served drinks and food to the singer of Black Flag several times and never knew it. That was a shocker. Fuck, who'd have thought that Chavo changed his name and movied to Vancouver after quitting Black Flag. I ever run into him, I need to thank him because "Jealous Again" saved my life once. Super great if you like punk rock.

Tenure: Meh. Too faux quirky. Not as funny as it needed to be. Some good performances, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Marvel Anime: Wolverine - Enjoyable, but not rewatchable. The story is predictable, but done well. 'Twists' are blatantly obvious from the start and you can probably call the ending after episode one. However, it rarely dragged (Omega Red section is filler), and was a really fast watch. The animation is generally good, but the 'gore' goes way too cartoony in the last episode. Granted this is a cartoon, but it just doesn't jive with the rest of the series. Only real gripe is the dubbed voice for Wolverine. Just doesn't seem to fit with Wolverine.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service - I seriously don't get people who call this the worst one. Lazenby does a great job as Bond I think. People call him the worst bond since he was only in one film like it wasn't his choice. Once again, something I've never gotten. He's playing a different Bond, one who actually feels like a secret agent as opposed to Connery's Action Hero. As for the ending, it's heartbreaking and it's obvious that it's setting up the sequel. As for another thing featuring Joanna Lumley...

Absolutely Fabulous: I've heard mixed things and, having slightly enjoyed the over the toppness of the Christmas special, I felt like actually giving the series a try. I got ten minutes into the first episode before giving up. It's not funny. If you removed the laugh track, then you're watching a bad drama about an insane alcoholic woman and her suffering daughter. Then a unfunny clown shows up.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service - I seriously don't get people who call this the worst one. Lazenby does a great job as Bond I think. People call him the worst bond since he was only in one film like it wasn't his choice. Once again, something I've never gotten. He's playing a different Bond, one who actually feels like a secret agent as opposed to Connery's Action Hero. As for the ending, it's heartbreaking and it's obvious that it's setting up the sequel.

I could not agree more.

Captain America: This was one of Marvel's best films they've produced. Until he actually became Captain America the hero, and not the marketing tool. They just have a montage of him taking down the Hydra camps and from then on, it's just a standard superhero film. The films still really good, but it just never really gets going, after that weird Hydra montage.

Jeff Who Lives At Home: Turns out Jason Segal can be in shit movies. This is something a film student thought up, and thought it would be deep. "A day in the life of a stoner, and his journey, to follow life" Segal does his best to be engaging, but just nothing ever actually happens, and it just feels like a waste.

The Change Up: If it wasn't for Jason Bateman clearly having the time of his life playing a lazy stoner, this would be dull. It's the usual freaky friday story, and isn't that great, but Bateman is enjoyable enough for the film not to suck.

Dylan Dog: Dead of Night - Brandon Routh is not good in this, he has the charisma of a dry mop. The story is interesting in concept, but not execution. Sam Huntington as Marcus is the bright spot in this as the zombie sidekick. Also, Kurt Angle shows up for some reason. I think I liked this more last night when I watched it, but twelve hours later, not so much.

So, once or twice a year, because of my own masochistic tendencies, I watch Up, and usually bawl through most of it. This time, I have my new shiny TV. That lets you see so much more detail in the opening montage and in the house. Like the fact that he has their tickets to South America tucked behind Ellie's photo in the morning routine montage after that opening montage that rips your heart out.

Yeah, this has now taken the sobbing to Dying Whale Orchestra levels. Goddamn you, Pixar.

Looper- In genre terms the closest thing in modern times to Looper would be Inception. However, where Inception creates the idea of complexity despite the actual structure of the dreamworld being fairly straightforward, Looper plays with time travel in ways that are still blowing my mind right now. It's like Inception is classical music with all the conventions and styles of that form, but Looper is top notch Jazz. In addition whilst Inception would proceed more or less regardless of the moral character of those involved, the events of Looper hinge entirely on the decisions of it's players.

You might be able to tell that I'm still digesting this, I think with a lot of people it's going to take a second viewing to enable them to fully appreciate it. I went with some ardent film fans and we spent 20 minutes just hammering out exactly what happened in the film afterwords. I would just say one short sorta non-spoilerish thing that I'll still spoilerise just in case-

I love that this is basically an action film version of Back to the Future II.

I give it the highest recommendation. Easily beats Dark Knight Returns to my no 1 spot this year because it's a tight movie with distinct themes that genuinely challenged me. And I loved DKR.

Secret of the Kells - if you haven't seen this already, and you're in the States, seriously, go watch this, you only have until Friday to do so. Absolutely brilliantly animated film, and makes the Vikings appropriately terrifying. Also, makes the act of illuminating a lot more exciting than you'd think it would be.

ESPN 30 for 30: The 16th Man - Meh. The Morgan Freeman narration pulls me out of this. Also, I just get a feeling that this is a PC version of events.

ESPN 30 for 30: June 17, 1994 - I can look at this in two ways. As a documentary, this is really well done. Using nothing but existing footage of the days events, Brett Morgen made something different than the others in this set. So for that, kudos. As for the subject, I so do not care. I did not care when I was 9, I still do not care. As such, the film making was what kept me watching.

Cabin in the Woods: It was alright. Nothing groundbreaking. Chris Hemsworth was great, and the last half hour

Seemed like it was from an episode of South Park. Specifically the Imaginationland episode where the imaginary villains come out of the Stargate and attack the scientists.

I know the cast were supposed to be generic horror stereotypes, but that doesn't mean they had to just coast by, and be dull. The intern in the office underneath the cabin was more interesting than the cast of kids, outside of Chris Hemsworth, who actually seemed to be having fun.