What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Machete: I've been pushing this one back and back in my Netflix Queue for like a year. I fucking loved it. It's rare that you can get so many actors that I'm meh about together and them be awesome. But the real star is Danny Trejo who just has this charisma throughout the movie that really propels it along. What started out as a hilarious joke in Grindhouse has become a great film in and of itself. Now if we can just get Thanksgiving and Werewolf Women of the SS made into movies already.

The Night Listener: I love Robin Williams, and I love him doing serious roles, but this, was just terrible. It's the story of a writer in New York, who becomes friends with a boy dying of aids in another state. He then starts to question if the boy is real or a figment of some crazy woman's imagination, in the hopes of getting a book published based on the boys harsh life. It just goes on and on, and even though it's only 70 minutes, it feels like two hours worth of gibberish. It was based on a true story, and treats the viewer like they should know the entire story of the incident before watching the film. Otherwise, you're left completely lost.

Dark Shadows: I hated it. It felt like it was trying to be two things at once, a funny family friendly comic, and a gothic horror film, set in the 1970's, and doesn't succeed at either thing.

Salvador: Like The Night Listener, this expects you to know most of the history of El Salvador, and the person the story is based on, before watching the film. It reminded me of Apocalypse Now, in that it's a film I know I should like, but I just don't.

Argo - Well done film. Saw it on a whim when asked if I wanted to go along. Even at two hours, I never felt that it dragged and was always 'into' the film. The somewhat lighthearted moments were needed and a nice surprise. Don't think I would have lost anything by waiting for the DVD, but a nice night out all the same.

Chigaco - Watched this movie after my friends recommended it to me multiple times. I have to say, I like it. Bought the soundtrack two hours after I finished watching it. I keep wondering why they don't make more movies like this...

Reefer Madness - I also watched this one. As in, no the original black and white propaganda film, the 2005 movie version of the musical. The end is such a weird look at censorship back then, and such a mood twist for the rest of the movie...

Resident Evil: Damnation: The second animated film, that follows up on Resident Evil 4, and sets the stage for some of 6. But it's incredibly confusing, and over 100 minutes long. It's very pretty to watch on Blu-Ray, but overall, I was left confused on what the actual story was at least three times. It's not as good as Degeneration, but still better than any of the live action films.

The Secret World of Arietty: It's better then many of the non-Miyasaki Studio Gibili films. Not the best film I've seen storywise but beautifully animated and I love the little details like how the Borrower's teapot pours tea.

The Spy Who Loved Me: Better. I love the visuals in this one. We also get one of the better Bond girls, capable and smart. The villains plot could have used work and he never felt like much of a threat. The henchmen were rather meh also. Still, an interesting Cold War film and Moore is pretty damn good.

Supernatural: I used to love this show, just the last two seasons were crap. I had every intention of dropping it but then I started to watch this season because I had a free hour before I had to get to work. It's been really good, nearly up to the standard of the previous couple of seasons. Last Night's episode, a take-off on found footage movie featuring werewolves, was probably one of the better episodes of the series, surpassing even some of the better episodes from it's golden age. The last time the show did a take-off on something, an episode featuring a Ghost Hunting show, it was shit. This was... actually kind of emotional. Even if you haven't seen Supernatural before, it might be worth checking out since it's mostly light on continuity.

Go On: Ever heard of that good new series that no one seems to be paying attention to? It's this one. It's like a less-crazy Community, and that doesn't mean it's bad, no, it's got it's own cast of memorable (and non-memorable) characters and a bunch of good actors behind it. Check it out.

I've watched the first five episodes, I think it's a show that works best if you stack up a few episodes, then burn them off, rather than week by week. But maybe that's just me. It's also nice seeing Matthew Perry doing something new.