What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

This is 40 - Funny enough, but there is not much of a story for a two hour movie. The big thing is that they are having serious financial problems, and that never gets resolved by the end of the movie. Do they sell the house? Does his business go under? Does her business go under? We'll never know.

Flight - A good movie full of great actors, but I'll never watch it again.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I greatly enjoy my regular video review shows, there's a great art to creating a good one, providing the right mix of irreverence, critical content and personality that means you value both the show itself and what it's reviewing. The best ones don't just destroy the easily mockable, they fill you with enthusiasm and passion for whatever medium they cover whilst still providing good objective coverage, good examples of this are Half in the Bag or Todd in the Shadows. however in the last couple of days they've both been eclipsed by the most unlikely candidate. A British web series that reviews (of all things) board games- Shut Up and Sit Down.

Episode 3 (includes a review of The Resistance) http://www.shutupshow.com/post/8991888093/episode-3-civil-surface

Shut Up and Sit Down may be low budget and a little rag tag but the presenters have real personality and every review is approached in a fresh and innovative fashion. I've watched probably a half dozen of the episodes so far (between 25 and 45 minutes each) and every one has been great, it's actually made me a bigger board game fan.

I actually watched things in the past week. This is a new thing for me.

Going The Distance - I like that this avoids the general Rom-Com trap of the simple misunderstanding that causes the breakup to happen. The breakup happens for real reasons and things go from there. Everything else about this is average.

Friends With Benefits - Timberlake carries this movie to average. Without him, it would have been much worse.

She's Out Of My League - Shit. None of these people are likable.

Leap Year - This was bad. Paint by numbers rom-com that never colored outside the lines. In fact, I don't think it went near the lines for fear of going outside.

Superman vs. The Elite - Decent set up, poor climax. Superman's final plan/actions seems a bit out of character. And the voice of Lois doesn't fit.

Justice League: Doom - Uninspired and lackluster. Seems like everyone is just going through the motions.

Get Him To The Greek - Haven't seen this since I saw it in the theatre. It still makes me laugh. Yes, it is stupid and over the top, but it does have a bit of heart mixed in. And I love the ridiculous soundtrack.

Beverly Hills Cop - Pretty good 80s cop movie. Had its moment of comedy, not everything worked, but more good than bad.

Beverly Hills Cop II - Just not as good. Villain is not as good, plot is rather sloppy, and just not the same about on heart. Eddie Murphy is a bit too much Eddie Murphy at times. In the 1st movie, Axel is a guy who jokes around, but is generally a good guy with good intentions. In this one, he is kinda a douche. Also, some editing problems in the first half hour.

I know G.I. Joe week was a while ago but I've been hearing really good things about G.I. Joe Renegades, has anyone seen any of it?

It was pretty neat. I liked it. They pulled the plug on it after the first season, though, just because the new movie ended up having a really similar storyline (and title). There was talk that Renegades might get semi-rebooted at some point, but that may have been dropped at this point.

I can't believe Spectacular Spider-Man was only 26 episodes long. They covered so much, and so many great villains (Apart from Kraven, and Venom, who just sort of happens) were used. And they actually had Peter's actions have consequences in future episodes.

Comparing this with the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, which I'm also enjoying, it's like night and day. One is the story of a teenager from a poor family gaining super-powers and the other is a Marvel Team Up series.

Ultimate (the current series where he's a teenager working for SHIELD alongside Power Man, Iron Fist, Nova and White Tiger) is not the greatest version ever, but it's fun. If this had been on when I was a kid, I know this would have been my favorite show on TV,

Spectacular (from a few years ago), however, is probably the best version.

Comparing this with the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, which I'm also enjoying, it's like night and day. One is the story of a teenager from a poor family gaining super-powers and the other is a Marvel Team Up series.

Which one is which?

Ultimate= Spider-Man working as an agent of Shield.

Spectacular= Spider-Man working as the solo hero of the streets of New York.

And what Dan said.

Beverly Hills Cop III - I am torn on this movie. It feels like a natural evolution (and sequel) of the first movie. Axel is more mature and has grown into being a very good cop. The twenty seconds with his boss at the beginning show us everything we needed to know. On the other hand, you cannot shake the feeling that Murphy is phoning in his performance at times. It is odd, but I enjoy this low volume Eddie Murphy. As for the plot, it is what it is. Better villain, but I there was a mistake in execution. They are making counterfeit $1 bills. Who does that? Also, the big action scene on the amusement park ride is really out of place. It just doesn't fit in with the tone of any of these films.

Overall, better than II, slightly above average.

I can't believe Spectacular Spider-Man was only 26 episodes long. They covered so much, and so many great villains (Apart from Kraven, and Venom, who just sort of happens) were used. And they actually had Peter's actions have consequences in future episodes.

Spectacular Spider-Man is the only show that I watched every episode live, as it aired. It's easily one of my favorite television shows ever. After the show was canceled I started a thread with a pretty passionate post on the IMDB boards: here.

I watched the pilot for 1600 Penn recently on Hulu and it was really funny. One thing of note is that Bill Pullman is playing the President in it. I already am working out continuity in my head where this is a continuation of Independence Day.

Will, have I reiterated lately how wonderfully insane you are? :P Watched it with Will when I was over there, and enjoyed it a fair bit. Looking like it could be a pretty amusing show, I'll watch it when it starts airing regularly.

Django Unchained: Drinking game for this movie: drink any time you hear the word "nigger", or there's a blood spatter. You'll be shitfaced within the first half hour.

This isn't Tarantino's best film, but it's still pretty damn fun. Foxx does an amazing, bitingly witty turn as Django, Christoph Waltz is a silver fox, and DiCaprio is a slimy Southern gentlemen. Will was right about the focus of the movie being more on Waltz and DiCaprio than Django. Though, Samuel Jackson does deserve a nomination just for the amazingly evil messed up motherfucker he is in this. The movie meanders during it's last third, and almost ends once before suddenly not. The scene that we get as the ender is the one I like more, but if they could've maybe done a bit of a rewrite, it could've been done a bit tighter. There's some great shootouts in this, too. A good way to spend a few hours.

Just finished watching Iron Sky. It's amazingly, unexpectedly, actually a pretty amazing political satire, on top of being as over the top ridiculous as you'd expect from a film about Nazis from the dark side of the moon. Also, yes, it does parody the ever popular Hitler meme. Definitely worth a watch on Netflix (where it's streaming, coincidentially!).

Nude Nuns with Big Guns - There are nude nuns. There are big guns. We get a nun with a gun. We get a nude nun with a big gun. Heck, we even get one nude nun and one non-nude nun with big guns. But we never get nude nuns with big guns. Blatant false advertising. That fact that I noticed this kinda makes me sad.

It is what you would expect it to be. I am kinda disappointed that it didn't go further over the top. I was trying to straddle that line when it should have just been bug fuck insanely over-the-top. And in the set up for a sequel (seriously?) and yeah, I was disappointed with this.

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (Season 2) - Holy shit! The crammed a lot of stuff into 26 episodes. I am a little disappointed that a few loose ends never got tied up, but the good far outweighs any little niggles I can think of. They give Spider-Man somewhat of a character arch in two episodes. Thor is just awesome. The Black Panther 'sacrifice' is very moving. And lastly, this show made me want to see a Blaxploitation/Kung-Fu Power Man & Iron Fist movie. That is something that needs to be made.

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (Season 2) - Holy shit! The crammed a lot of stuff into 26 episodes. I am a little disappointed that a few loose ends never got tied up, but the good far outweighs any little niggles I can think of. They give Spider-Man somewhat of a character arch in two episodes. Thor is just awesome. The Black Panther 'sacrifice' is very moving. And lastly, this show made me want to see a Blaxploitation/Kung-Fu Power Man & Iron Fist movie. That is something that needs to be made.

I agree with everything you just said.

I agree with everything you just said.

Ditto.

Also, I just finished John Carter, and I enjoyed the hell out of it. I walked into it hearing how terrible it was, and how it wasn't as terrible as it had been made out to be, and everything in between, and I walked away with a gorgeously shot movie that paid tribute to the early days of pulp sci fi without forgetting to be its own thing. I realize fully that I'm predisposed to believe old things are awesome, but this really should have gotten a better build-up. Disney could not have fumbled the marketing of this thing more fully if it tried.