What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

Watched The Artist last night in chat with Chris. I can see why it won the Oscars it did (major meta about the history of film), and a good balance of comedy and drama, but it just didn't click for me. There were parts where it was so blatantly pandering that it kind of turned me off. Though, I liked the way that sound made its way in, even if I wish they had used a bit more of it. The dog was seriously the best part of the film, though.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Aquabats Supershow - Somewhere on the internet.. I watched this because of Dan and I loved this. Exactly what I wanted it to be. Pure fun. I have a hard time figuring out which Aquabat is my favorite. Eaglebones Falconhawk is just awesome with awesomer powers, but Jimmy the Robot is a friggin' robot. The cartoons were surprisingly well done. The commercials are hit or miss. But like I said, it is just pure fun.

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery

Having listened back to BITD's Rivals of Bond episodes, I realise that this film isn't just a great parody of Connery-era Bond, but other franchises (eg/Flint). I do wonder though, in that Myers broke out of sketch comedy as Austin Powers (he did play Wayne on SNL) and Jim Carrey broke out of In Living Color after Ace Ventura, whether the 90s was more forgiving of TV sketch actors breaking into film than they are today. I'm sure script quality, amongst other factors, comes into the equation, but I'm not sure an SNL alumnus has carved a successful film career off the back of one movie character. Maybe Ron Burgundy.....

That's getting off topic though. Myers is great fun as both hero and villain, whereas Liz Hurley just about fulfils all that's asked of her, which is pretty much the Bond girl test. There are weird cameos in there, particularly Christian Slater as the guard that Powers hypnotises to get him some orange sherbert, but even Tom Arnold's toilet scene isn't out of place. Maybe The Love Guru was a step too far for Myers, and the Powers sequels get progressively worse, but I'd rather watch a Mike Myers film than an Adam Sandler film.

Vertigo- Beautiful on Blu ray, one of the best films I've ever seen, it is incredible.

Pulp Fiction - Quentin Tarantino may be a huge douche-bag but you cannot deny that he understands movies inside and out. This movie is just so frickin' entertaining! I loved it.

Scorsese's Cape Fear- Another great film. De Niro's best performance that I've seen. Great choice to keep Bernard Herrmann's brillant score.

Raising Arizona - I loved this movie. Hilarious from start to finish. Cage was amazing in it. Very interesting and thought provoking-ly written. Possibly my favorite Coen Brother's movie.

Live and Let Die - About three years after getting this movie, I finally sat down to watch the damn thing. I enjoyed this for the most part. Roger Moore wasn't as much of a turn-off as Bond as I had mistakenly thought in my mind. This is the first time that I feel that a Bond film is too long and could have used a bit of an edit. That fucking boat race was 75 minutes too long. The hill-jack cop was so out of place. Edit the boat shenanigans down to five minutes and it would help streamline this movie so much.

Beasts of the Southern Wild: Beautiful. It's pretty obvious that the movie is about Hurricane Katrina but it also isn't. It's about this 8-year old girl and her difficult relationship with her father. I could see why this girl was the front-runner for Best Actress for the longest time.

Paranorman: Really cute. I really like stop motion and I'm happy whenever I see it in use. No exception here. It's a fun story and plays well with quite a few horror movie tropes. All of the characters work together. In a year without Wreck-it Ralph, this would have been the best animated film of the year.

Moonrise Kingdom: So very quirky and, yet, wonderful. Definitely one of Wes Anderson's better films. All the actors are on fire here. There's a precision to how the film is shot and it really helps it along. The writing is just damn terrific also.

Goldeneye: I still think this is the best of the Brosnon films. He has a great first outing, possibly one of the best. One thing that got on my nerves: The Music. Dear god, the background music was terrible. But still, a great film.

Tomorrow Never Dies: Michelle Yeoh is one of the best Bond girls. That said, the villain's plan is a little too realistic for me to think his plan would work. Also, the stealth ship so doesn't work.

The World is Not Enough: Worst. Bond Girls. Ever! The villain's plot also stunk. More than that, it's boring. I like the theme song. That's it's redeeming value.

Rocky: It looks grainy and quite terrible on blu-ray, and comes with no extras, so, it's a definite step down from the DVD. However, the film is self is still one of the best I've ever seen, I always noticed something new every time I see it. This time, I saw that Rocky said to Adrian "I don't want to beat Creed, I just want to go the distance. No one has ever done that." Awesome.

Was also great to see Archer back for a fourth series.

Cabin in the Woods: I really enjoyed it, up until the last 5 minutes. I found the ending a) underdeveloped, b) unsatisfying. And one leads into the other - I don't mind the ending being "unhappy", but I want at least more than a few lines from a random cameo to justify the ending.

Looper: Interesting concept, and the mechanics of looping and how that plays out for each of the characters, but it doesn't live up to the hype for me.

Probably because I'm not the biggest fan of ~speshul children~ plots, even if it's a if you could kill Hitler as a kid would you sort of question.

I'll probably watch it again before the rental period runs out tomorrow, but this just didn't work for me as well as I thought it would.

Cabin in the Woods: This, on the other hand? Holy shit yes. Meta in all the right notes. And I disagree with you, Ian. It'd been pretty well fleshed out prior to that, but the bit at the end spells it out for anyone who was still out of the loop. Probably gonna try and get this on DVD.

Megan and I just flew through the first season of Parks and Recreation. We watched one episode when it aired and never liked it. This time, we're laughing our asses off. Nick Offerman is kind of a genius. And Aziz Ansari is a guy whose stand-up I can't stand, but I enjoy him on the show a lot. I think Aubrey Plaza is pretty much my second favorite character next to Swanson though.

As far as Cabin in the Woods is concerned, check out Monday's DM.

I bought this set ages ago. Time to finally watch it.

Blade - This holds up well. A little bit of bad CGI here and there (mostly the exploding vampires), but most of the effects hold up.

Blade II - Honestly, this felt a bit off to me. It was a straight action movie that just happened to start Blade. Right after the team-up, I thought that this felt like an episode of a Blade TV show, rather than a movie. A little bit of bad CGI (mostly when the do a complete CGI Blade), but most of the effects still work.

Blade: Trinity - Seemed like Snipes did not want to be there at all. Kinda suffers from random people not meaning anything. You introduce six heroes and 4 villains. No one really gets any time to develop into anything. As for the villain, it makes sense. However, the sidekick vampires are just so fucking annoying. Ryan Reynolds' nonstop wise-ass humor is out of place and, once again, Snipes does not give a shit.

Blade: House of Chthon (Pilot Episode) - You can tell this is a television show. Blade is massively de-badassed. Two vampires give him trouble, while in the movie he was killing 398320 at once without taking a hit. And they were clearly setting this in the movie continuity (using movie footage and plot points and all). At 88 minutes, this was used to set up the status quo. However, I feel that they rushed some things that could have been stretched out over the season.

This comes down to if I would watch the rest of the series. I don't think I would. Blade being played by a rapper is obvious. His acting is horrible and borderline laughable at times. The rest of the cast is serviceable. The story has potential, but at a half season of length, I doubt that everything is rapped up, so I will move along to something else.

Megan and I just flew through the first season of Parks and Recreation. We watched one episode when it aired and never liked it. This time, we're laughing our asses off. Nick Offerman is kind of a genius. And Aziz Ansari is a guy whose stand-up I can't stand, but I enjoy him on the show a lot. I think Aubrey Plaza is pretty much my second favorite character next to Swanson though.

My girlfriend and I just did the same thing. I would normally hate the Amy Poehler character, but the way she plays it is just amazing. We're about 4 episodes in to Season 2 and agree that it gets better.

So The Clone Wars is in the middle of a storyline in which the now-resurrected Darth Maul teams up with the Mandalorian Death Watch. It sounds like pure fan service, but it's surprisingly amazing. Seriously, it's probably the most epic and badass thing the show's ever done. It's exactly the kind of thing people wanted from the Prequels but never got.

It's coming off of several past story arcs from previous seasons, so I don't know that I'd recommend jumping into it blind, but if anyone wants, I can write up a quick list of the important prior episodes.

Loser:The story of several funny comedic actors, and a dull comedy about a poker tournament. The only person who's actually funny in this was Michael Kean, everyone else is just phoning in dull performances.

Also, I just finished re-watching all of Arrested Development, I don't know what was better, Lucille's chicken dance, or Ron Howard ripping into the terrible narrator of a show called "Scandal Makers" that Tobias has a starring role in.

RoboCop - Been a while. Never fails to astound me just how well this holds up. The effects in this (main ED-209) look so much better now than what I saw in Blade: Trinity which was made 27 years later. Clarance Boddicker is such an enjoyable villian, just oozing sleeze. I did notice something on this viewing: He is basically bulletproof until he fights ED-209. Robot fight, I get he would take damage. But then he is blitzed by the cops and he is no longer bulletproof. I cannot follow the logic. But seriously, it took me countless viewings to notice that. Still an awesome film.

I think ED-209 fucked him up because ED's ammo is so much more powerful than street ammo. From there, Robocop's armor had become too weakened to withstand even normal gunfire. Plus, there are a ton of cops shooting him. So even if ED-209 hadn't messed him up, Robocop would have been in major trouble.