What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

Watching Orange is the new Black, the new series on Netflix. Very similar to Weeds (they share a creator) in that its a middle class white lady who has to deal with her law-opposing new status and get in good with the various ethnicities we're all supposed to find intimidating. Fun so far, feels like one of those lighter Showtime style shows. It's refreshing to enjoy something that Kate Mulgrew is in.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Red - Re-watched this because I remembered nothing about it. And I can really tell why. While calling this bad would be incorrect, it isn't anything above average. The action wasn't anything special, the characters were all one dimensional and the plot was, well, forgettable. Shame, as I remember this as being a fun movie, but I was rather bored this time around.

The Crow: Stairway to Heaven - I watched the first seven or so episodes years ago when it was still on Netflix. Finally got to finish watching the series and I really enjoyed it. Sure it has flaws (episodes end on odd beats, Mark Dacascos is not the greatest actor) but I was entertained. Really feels like Crow: Texas Ranger at times, but I think that is part of the charm for me. Glad I went back to finish this.

I'm not sure I agree, I just don't enjoy her character. It feels like she's the Hannibal Lecter they worked in to add some edge. Not that I don't appreciate how her character drives a lot of the more interesting stuff in the first series, but I'm not a fan.

My interest in the show comes primarily from the shift away from Hannibal style physical horror to more modern driving concepts such as deterministic systems, anarchist cultures and the war on terror. A lot of the killers in Luther owe more to Joker in Dark Knight than Hannibal Lecter, which helps the show feel fresh. Luther is more about your cellphone than picking the right wine, and therefore it's more relevant to most of it's audience.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day: It's been a long time since I've seen this and it still has a shout of being one of the best sequels of all time. That being said, John Connor pissed me off for the most part. Maybe it's because I'm in my late 20s, or maybe it's because I've been recording recently with Tom "I hate Edward Furlong's very soul" Hemmings, but he annoyed me a lot more than I remembered from my last viewing of the movie. Otherwise, stellar!

After watching lat night's The Venture Brothers, I think I can say, with all honesty, that this is THE best animated series on television at this time.

And with that quote I will make a point to begin watching the series ASAP. That said this is a very bold claim to make in a world where Legend of Korra exists. (Not that it will have to be THE BEST to make it worth watching)

I've long been a huge Venture Bros fan, but the three years in between last season and this one, plus the fact that this season is only eight episodes long is driving me mad. I guess Adult Swim needs more room to run reruns of Fox cartoons.

Now that the blu-rays are out, I started watching The Legend of Korra again, this time watching each episode twice, the second time along with the commentary track. I still cannot get over how good the show is, especially knowing how the first season ends.

It is very good however I found the commentaries to be rather sparse in terms of interesting information and trivia. In related news, the first episode of book two is premiering tomorrow at comic-con so hopefully we'll get a trailer at the very least.

Back on the subject of The Venture Bros., I can't help but notice in a show about failure, where nearly no one ever trully gets ahead, Dr Girlfriend is consistently successful, even when she doesn't try.

She and Brock are the only two competent characters. I think that's the point.

Inglorious Basterds: I take the Tom Deja view of Eli Roth (that is to say, I'm not a fan and get distracted by his presence in the film), but otherwise I found this to be as captivating as I remembered. And having watched Pulp Fiction the other night, I was struck by how the speeches were a lot more seamless/less standalone and out of place. Christoph Waltz was an amazing find and rightfully Landa is the breakout star, but Melanie Laurent isn't far behind and Brad Pitt is fun in a role that's smaller than you'd anticipate. And this may be me descending into cliche, but I loved Michael Fassbender's briefing scene with Mike Myers and Churchill in attendance.

Back on the subject of The Venture Bros., I can't help but notice in a show about failure, where nearly no one ever trully gets ahead, Dr Girlfriend is consistently successful, even when she doesn't try.

She and Brock are the only two competent characters. I think that's the point.

Most of the failures seen on the show are because of people's own egos. Dr. Mrs. Monarch has always been a level headed character, and she has put others before herself on more than one occasion. You could say that her failure is she thinks there is more to the Monarch, and constantly defends him, even though he will never achieve anything. Brock's failure is obviously in the love department, never being able to have the one woman he truly wants.

Am I the only one that wants to see Gary succeed one day?

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3: This feels more like an extended episode of the series than a movie. Adding in the time travel also is totally out of place from the last two. Still, it's fun at times and it at least is consistent with it's time travel.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre: Loved it. The basic themes have been referenced so many times but still, it's a fun film. All of the performances are all fucking terrific. If I have a problem with the film, it might be that there is a bit too many comic relief moments. IF.

Excalibur: Visually, the movie strikes it out of the park. There is never a moment where I was bored with the images. Acting wise, some of the performances were hammy though it totally works for Helen Mirren as Morrigan LeFay (yeah, I totally didn't realize it was here at first). That said, it felt incredibly compressed at times and like they were trying to do too much of the Arthur legend at once. Years would pass in the film but I would totally not realize. The writing also could have used some cleaning up.

Today I've rewatched The Majestic (probably Jim Carrey's best serious film, albeit a tad long) and watched Dr Strangelove for the first time. Much like most comedic satires I watch, I appreciated the film's cleverness more than I actually laughed at the humour.