What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is going to sound silly but Real Steel is a lot better than it has any right to be. The plot is Over the Top meets Rocky, total classic 80's Stallone. Throw in Jackman, who is always watchable, and some fairly entertaining robot fights and it's really not that bad. Even the kid (who reminds me a lot of Jake Lloyd) isn't nearly as bad as he might have been.

It's pure Netflix fodder, I wouldn't have seen it in cinemas but it surprised me by being enjoyable.

This is going to sound silly but Real Steel is a lot better than it has any right to be. The plot is Over the Top meets Rocky, total classic 80's Stallone. Throw in Jackman, who is always watchable, and some fairly entertaining robot fights and it's really not that bad. Even the kid (who reminds me a lot of Jake Lloyd) isn't nearly as bad as he might have been.

It's pure Netflix fodder, I wouldn't have seen it in cinemas but it surprised me by being enjoyable.

I own the DVD and re-watch it at least every couple of months. I love it.

Over the weekend I plowed through the first four seasons of The League and came pretty close to dying from laughter. While the fantasy football is a big part of it, it's really about a group of friends being hilariously horrible to each other. One of the best and funniest casts on television, with the perfect mix of gross out and cringe worthy humor. Ruxin might be my new favorite TV character.

Rewatching some Sfdebris Star Trek reviews and whilst discussing the heroic death of Kor is DS9 he points out that this is what fans wanted when they said Kirk should die on the bridge, not what they did in Generations which was die from a bridge. So true. I find it hard to think of a more iconic character who has a more ignominious end.

Well, if Shatner's novels are in continuity, he got better.

And finding a more iconic character than Kirk isn't easy, let alone one the studio is willing to kill.

EDIT: And while I'm no massive fan of the reboot, Chris Pine is a much more believable character as Kirk anyway. He's cocky and stupid, but he's human.

Believable? Who care about believable? He's freakin James T Kirk. In a thousand years his stature in Federation and human history should be comparable with the legends of Hercules or Thor.

I like Chris Pine but I soured on the reboot with the second film when it became clear that Pine's character was ill-equipped to handle any kind of crisis, either emotionally or professionally. His Kirk was awful in that film. Shatner's Kirk's confidence was not just in himself, it was in his crew and his position. He wasn't overconfident and blustering like Pine constantly is, he was just sure of himself. That's why all the ladies love Shatner but when Pine sees a lady in a state of undress its usually just a lecherous accident. The only thing he's fit to command is a sorority house panty raid. He's the Sean William Scott of starship captains.

PineKirk clearly believes in his crew. He put Chekov in charge of Engineering when Simon Pegg and his scaly Ewok were too genre savvy to go along with a clear trap and he let Harold take the bridge without Kumar.

But that's more because in one case he has no choice and in the other he wants to be able to run around and do his own thing and theoretically someone has to occupy his chair.

I guess basically my criticism of Kirk is the same as the rest of those films. If he sat back and allowed tension to build then the big moments and decisions would matter. Because he'd rather run to the transporter room or fly through space in a rocketsuit than sit on his bridge and actually be the captain he actually misses out on the moments that should define his leadership and character. The captain should be the last man off the ship, not the the first itching to get off it. I mean Kirk has always lead away missions because he's a main character but as the Captain if his ship were under fire he wouldn't throw command to someone else and run off to do something he thinks is more important.

I mean Kirk has always lead away missions because he's a main character but as the Captain if his ship were under fire he wouldn't throw command to someone else and run off to do something he thinks is more important.

That's just it, though. By rights, the captain should never, ever, not ever, leave the ship. However, this is Kirk, and Kirk always leaves the ship. One of the big grumblings about TNG when it first started was that Picard always sent Riker down to the planet and never went himself, but that is what is supposed to happen. Made for a fairly boring series lead, however. (Again, this was at first. They figured it out.)

If Pine stayed in the chair and always sent Spock off to deal with the problem at hand, it would be more realistic, but then it wouldn't be Kirk, and people would (rightfully) complain about that.

A seriously high proportion of the away missions in TOS were first contacts, which a captain would be present for by rights. Combine that with Kirk being a much younger man than Picard and having a touch of the american west explorer in him and it's sorta excusable. What Kirk tended to do was lead an away team though, commanding officers on the group and coordinating their actions in the same way as Picard might from the Enterprise. Pinekirk on the other hand would go by himself regardless of anyone else.

I admit I need to rewatch Into Darkness, it's been a while and you need those 6 months to reform an opinion. I'm not even saying it's a horrible film, but three stars of a film that wasn't really Star Trek plus a shitload of plotholes is far from what I was hoping for.