What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking at the entire Star Trek canon, Vulcans are said to have stronger emotions than humans (hence the need for logic), but they repress, control, or ignore them. Spock just seems really terrible at doing that. Considering that in TOS he's actually very young for a Vulcan (30-something), that kind of makes sense. In later films and in TNG, he doesn't have the lack of control that he clearly does in his early life.

Because he's half-human, total suppression of his emotions is far more difficult for him than for other Vulcans, to the point of near-impossibility. It's true that he's much better at it by the time the films roll around (probably due to his Kolinhar training), but the scene in VI where he has to deal with Kim Cattral is made all the more powerful and this is the nerdiest post I've ever made and I'm going to go play some football or something.

Nebraska: Terrific film. First off, I loved the choice to film the movie in black and white. Moving onto the performances. Bruce Dern is brilliant. His depiction of a man near the end of his life, who's had a life of problems, has so many layers to it. Will Forte has acting chops. Seriously, if he keeps this up, chooses films like this, he's going to be one of those actors who leave SNL and become more than the person who can just play one roll. June Squibb, who plays Dern's wife, is just the right mix of concerned and irritated the entire film. She is everyone's grandmother when she's had a bad day. Payne does a great directing job here, using the right combination of shots and editing.

American Hustle: David O. Russell, for all his flaws, knows how to get actors to put in a terrific performance. Christian Bale transforms his body again for a role. He is almost completely unrecognizable and does one of his best jobs. I'm kinda sad that he hasn't been getting as much award buzz as his co-stars. For the record, Jennifer Lawrence has a VERY good chance at getting Oscar #2 this year and, if she does, she earned it. I've never seen an actress clean and it make for compelling acting but we definitely get that here. But, and here's the thing, Amy Adams puts in one of the best performances of her career here. There's just something about the way she plays her role, switching between accents, just owning every scene she's in. I haven't seen a few of the big films of the year yet but, I kinda want her to win Best Actress. The writing is spot-on and, while not as good as Silver Lining Playbook last year, this is still one of Russel's best films yet.

The Wolf of Wall Street: I was not expecting a comedy. Seriously, this was one of the funniest movies I have seen in awhile. I've also come to the decision that Scorsese will not rest until Leonardo DiCaprio wins an oscar. His role as the amoral Jordan Belfort is equal parts charismatic and appalling. He is just all kinds of awesome and DiCaprio has grown so much as an actor. All of the actors do great but any scene with DiCaprio means that he's going to be over-shadowing them. It's also worth pointing out that this is also one of the most offensive movies I have ever seen and I mean that in a good way. Every curse word you can name is used here at least once if not 100 times more. There is full frontal nudity all over the place. So many boobs. There was only one scene that made me uneasy in the entire film so that's good. If I have a problem, it's that there is some major mood whiplash in a couple of scenes but still, greatly acted, greatly written, greatly directed.

Watching a season 6 episode of Voyager, "Muse." Wherein B'Elanna is marooned on a planet with a bronze-age civilization and a young poet who makes her stories about Voyager into an epic Greek-style play. There's one bit where the poet stays up all night asking B'Elanna questions about vulcans, then the next morning lectures the actor playing "Tuvok" in his play about how to do an emotional scene:

"[The audience will] understand that beneath that unfeeling exterior is a heart that's breaking silently and in more pain than any of us could possibly understand. Because that's what it is to be Vulcan."

I thought it was rather poignant.

Conversely, I couldn't look away throughout and thought it played expertly on the viewers expectations.

I haven't read enough of the source material to comment upon whether or not Holmes had a secondary antagonist after Moriarty, but given the scale of the central mystery, it somewhat follows that there would be.

Thankfully, the next episode is on Sunday so there's not long until we find out!

• 2 weeks later...

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty: A great movie that I have no doubts will change some people's lives. At the very least it will motivate you to go somewhere you've always wanted to go. You have to see at least for Adam Scott's epic beard. I went in knowing just a little bit about the plot and I think that helped. It also showed that Kristen Wiig can do things other than comedy. There was one scene that I actually teared up during and I don't know why. The running gag with eHarmony that I thought was stupid actually paid off with a great cameo.

After the Golden Globes on Sunday, I watched the two episode season premiere of Girls. I'd never seen the show before and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I laughed quite a bit during both episodes, really hard a couple of times, and there were some dramatic moments that really hit. My only prior exposure to Lena Dunham had been the film Nobody Walks, which she co-wrote and was terrible. From these episodes, I better understand why she's gotten the attention that she has. Dunham, Allison Williams, Jemima Kirk, and Zosia Mamet sell the main characters and their flaws, but I'm conflicted on Adam Driver's performance. There are times when his attempts to convey his character's distantness come across as bad line readings, but there are other times where he disappears into the character completely. He was responsible for my favorite moment, repeatedly punching a car radio to stop it from playing a Maroon 5 song. I'm planning on watching the previous two seasons and continuing with the show from here on out.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty: A great movie that I have no doubts will change some people's lives. At the very least it will motivate you to go somewhere you've always wanted to go. You have to see at least for Adam Scott's epic beard. I went in knowing just a little bit about the plot and I think that helped. It also showed that Kristen Wiig can do things other than comedy. There was one scene that I actually teared up during and I don't know why. The running gag with eHarmony that I thought was stupid actually paid off with a great cameo.

When I saw that movie I realized that at one point in time Ben Stiller used to be neck to neck with Adam Sandler for who could make more stupid comedy. I am glad to see that Stiller can still be silly but also make a movie that has the audience leave the theater feeling happy. As if the audience was having the adventure as well. Also, unlike Sandler movies, funny people can still be funny in this movie. Scotts beard alone made me laugh and I have to agree with the eHarmony gag and cameo.

This season Justified is fucking stellar, as usual. It's intense but with a funnier edge. Boyd is going through some shit but will probably fuck everyone over in the end. I like the set-up of the deputy sheriff being a new villain and the Crow Family with Rappaport and Witt is going to be aces.

Person of Interest is very different this second half of the season. It HAS to be one of the most dramatic shifts a TV show has ever made mid-season. I'm not sure how they're going to make what they're doing right now work. I hope they can.