What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

Person of Interest is very different this second half of the season. It HAS to be one of the most dramatic shifts a TV show has ever made mid-season. I'm not sure how they're going to make what they're doing right now work. I hope they can.

They always have before. And isn't finding out how they're going to make it work half the fun?

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Annnndddd.....the latest episode which I like to refer to as "Reese on a Plane" was fucking brilliant.

I knew they would do it Jason, I just figured there would be a lull. Nope! No lull. That was close to being one of the best episodes of the series so far.

Samm Levine killed it too.

I just had a mini marathon. Episodes 10-13 of Person of Interest in one fell swoop. Ohhh boy. Best show on TV right now.

1. The Machine let Carter be killed.

2. Does anyone else find it creepy as hell when The Machine speaks through Root?

3. When SAMARITAN comes online, there's going be a machine war. And I would be entirely unsurprised if it turns into SkyNet.

Dexter:

Season 5:

The worst season thus far. The sole highlight was Peter Weller owning the role of Sam Liddy, just slimy and mean,, wonderfully done. Julia Stiles' Lumen was the complete opposite, A wooden character who's arc only barely worked, and ended horribly. Dexter was the absentee father of the year. Debra is an idiot, Quinn is horrible and Maria LaGuerta is the most unlikeable character int he history of TV.

Season 6:

Much, much better. Mos Def's Brother Sam is the friend Dexter should have had since day one. Colin Hanks is surprisingly menacing, Edward James Olmos plays a very solid mentor figure. The crimes of the DDK's are creative, Dexter has some fun kills. The problems are fairly limited to Debra and Quinn, who were pretty terrible anyway. The season finale is outstanding, the lead-in to seven has me fairly excited.

Also: Angel looks so much cooler with a full beard.

Not a film as such, but I've just sat down and watched Dee Snider's testimony from the 1985 Senate hearing re: the PMRC's proposed rating system. Not only does Snider come away from it with an awful lot of credit (I'll admit to not knowing very much about the guy) but Al Gore comes away with the opposite. I am not a fan of how the 2000 US election went down, but I'm retrospectively glad that that fuckwit never became President.

Gore was only there because his balls were in his wife's purse.

Snider won a lot of respect that day. He went in to prove that metal guys weren't just Satanic meatheads and he proved just that. He came across as more intelligent than most elected officials do in those kind of trials.

Gore was a very, very difficult candidate to want anything to do with in 2000. I voted for him, because the alternative was fucking Bush, but I HATED Gore. He did not have the ability to pretend he didn't think everyone else in the room was a drooling idiot.

I just finished the final episode of Nikita.

I know my opinion doesn't mean a lot to some (most?) of you on here, but seriously, you NEED to watch this show. The first three seasons are on Netflix and the fourth is soon to follow. It started off on some uneven footing (does it want to be a sexy spy action show? a CW show for young people?) but quickly became a mind-bogglingly well-written action/drama series that breaks every rule in the book, constantly surprises, and proves that in some cases, the CW can actually put aside its "core" demographic and make a show that's damn GOOD.

Of course, all the ads (even the stupid Netflix banner) make it look like trash, but it's anything but. Hands-down the best espionage/action TV series ever made. Don't believe me, go watch it. Like I said, starts off a little shaky but gets so good so fast it's unbelievable.

I really don't see the issue for the Sherlock "delay" as is. There were 2 years between the first series and second series, and then 2 years between the second series and third series. If anything, if they did move up production and do another 3 stories within the year that weren't up to scratch, the internet would turn around and castigate the producers (most likely Moffatt, because fandom doesn't hate Gatiss as much) for rushing out a shoddy series to capitalise on the publicity.

Also, a British series used to only ever last 6 episodes at a time anyway, so culturally, I'm not that affected. Doctor Who's 13 episode seasons? That's pretty lengthy by and large, even if we are getting used to following major US TV shows. My Season 1-4 boxset of House is second only to my Bond film boxset in tems of taking up shelf space.

What I wonder is if they'll acknowledge the two-year gap. Doing so with Series Two and Three worked to their advantage, in that John had time to mourn and move on, and the authorities were able to clear Sherlock's name. However, with the Series Three cliffhanger seeming so imminent, I don't know how they can say two more years have gone by.

I finished Dexter yesterday.

What. The. Fuck. I knew the ending would be bad, but this blew me away. The final two seasons were by and large the weakest seasons, but the drop in quality is just incredible to behold. Yikes.

When I look back on that show, I'll fondly remember Seasons 1-4 and 6. The other three are just trash.

Did some catching up on Hulu.

Sleepy Hollow: how the fuck is this so good. The revolutionary war secretly being about the apocalypse and zombie George Washington as an actual fucking plot point should've put this very firmly in a certain subsection of shitty shows. Instead we have characters acknowledging and moving past their trauma, fucking smart people who actually COMMUNICATE, some of the best representations I've seen of people of color and women, and some of the best interpersonal writing I've seen in a long time. Seriously, go and watch this. I have no idea how this got so good so quick, but I'm firmly in its camp now.

Dracula: The back half of the season ups the stakes (lol), and actually sets up for a season finale that makes me want more of this. But seriously, just give us the uncensored British versions already.

Looney Tunes Platinum Collection: Exactly what it says on the box. Two (so far) volumes of Warner Brothers goodness on Blu Ray, they look and sound incredible. They're also unedited, so there is a disclaimer in the beginning for some of the spectacular racism contained herein. However, these are still some of the greatest examples of Hollywood animation ever devised. Volume 1 celebrates the work of Chuck Jones, and rightly so, while Volume 2 concentrates on Tex Avery. Also, because Warner Home Video holds the rights to MGM's catalog, there's a fair amount of Avery's phenomenal work at that studio.

As a note on what Dan said, if you have the Gold Collections, there is very little reason to buy these. If however you haven't, then by all means. High Definition Duck Amuck is a thing of beauty.

Absolutely correct. These are basically curated hi def versions of the Gold Collections.

After watching the rest of Young Justice, I have no problem calling it the best superhero animated series of all time. Goddamn. Tears in my eyes twice in the last episode and an ending that makes it fucking criminal tat it got cancelled. Fucking criminal.

Absolutely. I too will admit tears, not just in the finale, but in other episodes, as well.