What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been having a West Wing marathon (I'm nearing the end of season 2) and I have several thoughts.

1. I can't believe I forgot how beautiful and talented Alison Janney is.

2. The cast are extremely good at their jobs.

3. Alison Janney

4. It's still one of the best written and acted shows I've ever seen.

5. Alison Janney.

I'm watching Heroes of Cosplay on Syfy. I'm not a cosplayer, but I always admire the abilities of someone who does it really well.

Every subculture has its queen bees, people who are Kind of a Big Deal to the people within that circle. Even so, apparently there are cosplayers who are allowed to be shitty to the people bringing them water and this is considered acceptable behavior for a person who dresses up like the Invisible Woman for a living.

My completely random and unnecessary look back at old UPN show continues with Jake 2.0. It lived up to my memories, but it is just an okay show in the end. The tonal shift after 8 episodes was not for the better. It went from a light-hearted spy adventure to dark with conspiracies and no real fun. It only lasted 16 episodes and did not have a proper end. After reading a summary of the unmade episodes, it would have ended exactly how I expected, so that is something.

I went into this thinking it would be 'Chuck: the beta test'. And yeah, the similarities are many and not subtle.

• 2 weeks later...

Spider-Man (1977): This was the live action TV series from the late 1970s starring Nicholas Hammond, which I covered briefly in a Casual TV Fan's Guide a few years back. As a super-hero or action-adventure show, it's okay at best, although there is some interesting action direction and the show makes really good use of period grungy New York as a setting. However, the stunt work is fucking phenomenal. I seriously cannot think offhand of another project where the stunt work comes close to the "holy shit" factor that this show managed pretty regularly (possibly the 1941 Captain Marvel serial); Fred Waugh, the artist in the costume 99% of the time, was an acrobat and a stuntman with a seriously unhealthy attitude toward his physical well-being, and the throws himself into his work with abandon. Goofy as fuck, this is the epitome of "stuff Dan watches when Wendee is out of town for a weekend".

They would stitch two episodes together into a two hour movie and run them on Saturday afternoons maybe once every two or three months when I was a kid in the 80s. I wasn't old enough to catch it first run, but in an era when live-action super heroes were really not a thing other than Adam West or Lou Ferrigno, these movies were a big damn deal.

Dan's "Wendee's Out of Town Goofy TV Marathon" continues.

The Flash (1990): When it was bad, it was real bad, but when it wasn't, it was a hell of a lot of fun. All the 90s hurts my eyes, though.

Wonder Woman (1975): Season One, the WWII season. Goofy as fuck, but not weird enough to be really fun. It can't decide if it wants to be a comedy (it was created by a Batman '66 vet and some of the camp is clearly intentional) or if it's just a standard 1970s action show without a lot of respect for the source material. Lynda Carter is game and enthusiastic and throws herself into things, but she's not a very good actress at this point.

Wonder Woman (1975): Season One, the WWII season. Goofy as fuck, but not weird enough to be really fun. It can't decide if it wants to be a comedy (it was created by a Batman '66 vet and some of the camp is clearly intentional) or if it's just a standard 1970s action show without a lot of respect for the source material. Lynda Carter is game and enthusiastic and throws herself into things, but she's not a very good actress at this point.

Everything in those bolded sections is wrong.

WE DUEL AT DAWN!

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY watched the first episode of Hannibal with Megan. In short, I enjoyed most of it, but was far from blown away. I'm interested enough to stay around for a couple episodes, anyway. Megan liked it slightly less than me, but she too will stay for more episodes. Mikkelson is great, but I don't buy Dancy yet. Neither do I buy Fishburne. Also, it feels a little misogynistic. This, I imagine, is what turns Megan off a little bit. We haven't talked about it. The female characters are all victims, put upon academics (the prof) used as plot points or enragingly annoying (Asian CSI chick).

That said, as a fairweather fan of the novels, my interest is piqued to see the Graham/Lecter storyline play out.

I wasn't sold on Hugh Dancy after the first episode either, but he quickly grows into the role and is fantastic by season's end; even moreso in Season 2. I think that there are certainly criticisms that can be leveled at the handling of Alana Bloom and Beverly Katz, but I disagree with calling it misogynist. The show is an exploration of the relationship between Will and Hannibal and how it affects the people around them, which leaves some characters (both male and female) not as developed as they could be because the relationship between the two takes up much of the focus. And, since Hannibal is Hannibal, there's also a lot of suffering for the people involved. But like I said, they could have mitigated it more with Alana and Beverly, and Margot Verger's storyline is certainly problematic.

It did take a while for me to get into it; on my first watch, I wasn't sold until the third or fourth episode. Aperitif is one of the few episodes in the season where the murderer of the week focuses exclusively on female victims, too, so that may be where she got that sense. Alana and Beverly grow beyond their first episode appearances. For the most part, S1 is very good to it's female characters. Most of my issues on that front don't come into play until s2.

I would recommend sticking through till Ouef (make sure you get the uncut version) and deciding from there.

So, is episode six a midseason break? It felt like it. There was a crescendo to something I knew and I'm pretty sure everyone was supposed to know, that was incredibly satisfying. Also: Anna Chlumsky. And yes, beyond the first episode, the female characters get some actual characterization. I like them all.

Welcome to the back half of season one. Chilton and Gideon are fantastic, and continue to appear throughout the season. This is where things start exploding, not literally, but you get the idea.

And hey, at least you came in right when all of the seasons are available. You get to wait in agony with us for season 3!

• 2 weeks later...