• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

I just mainlined the first season of Star Wars Rebels in two days. That was terrific fun. A totally different animal from Clone Wars (Rebels has the smaller, more intimate feel of the original trilogy, rather than Clone Wars' focus on the more epic scale of the prequels), the main cast was really appealing, and any show with a line like "I could really use Hera on this side of the pig right about now" is totally worth a look. The Lando episode, especially, was awesome.

This isn't news to anyone who has me on social media, but for the past few months I've become an utter disciple of Steven Universe. It's my favorite show in many, many years and the best show I've seen in a long time. I'm thinking like Batman: the Animated Series/Classic Simpsons long time. It's amazing, and now that it's on hiatus I've found myself watching and consuming it everyday whether I intend to or not.

Perfectly alright. I've said it on many occasions but we're living in a new golden age of television animation. Between Stephen Universe, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, and Rick and Morty, it's a great time to be a fan. That's not even getting into stuff that recently ended like Young Justice and Legend of Korra or shows that ran short like Under the Garden Wall.

Also, Venture Brothers but that should go without saying.

Edited by dc20willsave

• 2 months later...

Brooklyn Nine Nine - One of the funniest shows I've ever seen. Love the cast so much.

Star Wars The Clone Wars - Finally getting around to watching it from the beginning. Pretty mature stuff. Really fleshes out minor characters like Plo Koon. I can't think of any argument against this being the best thing to come out of the prequels.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm rewatching Venture Brothers again. I could write a million words about this show, but to be Frank, 21 has one of the greatest arcs in tv history. 

Everything about this show is basically perfect. Even the weak episodes are good. I guess that's why it's taking a dozen years to put out six seasons. 

I'm rewatching Venture Brothers again. I could write a million words about this show, but to be Frank, 21 has one of the greatest arcs in tv history. 

Everything about this show is basically perfect. Even the weak episodes are good. I guess that's why it's taking a dozen years to put out six seasons. 

Amen, brother. I feel like I need to rewatch it too and I just will. I know that will delay me watching the new season, but I'm going to be buying it on DVD anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Megan and I just started watching OCCUPIED on Netflix. It's a Norwegian show in the near-future where Norway stops its oil production and the E goes bugfuck nuts and sends Russia in to take over. It's got a quiet tension that only the Northlanders can pull of cinematically so well. I'd recommend it highly. Also reminds me how much I'd rather live there.

I did a re-watch of the Venture Bros last year. The first two seasons are the funniest IMO, with season 2 being a series peak, but season 4 was really excellent upon rewatching from start to finish.

But man...those hiatuses really kill me. I do like the set-up for season 6, especially now that...

...Brock's back as the Venture's bodyguard. The show explained his moving onto S.P.H.Y.N.X. and showing how that really was a dead-end job for him enough times that I made my peace with it, but seriously he works best with the Ventures. So happy about that.

Torchwood- Been flirting with seeing it for a while and with Doctor Who no longer on Netflix, decided to bite the bullet. Four episodes in and it's rather weak. You'd think having a show with sex and swearing would help RTD and Co. better balance humor and horror, but NOOOOOOO....Almost quit after the Cyberwoman episode and thus far see no reason why an agency like Torchwood deserves to exist in a universe already inhabited by UNIT.

That said, I did get some enjoyment out of the third episode and I'm gonna press on. Hope that better things come in Season 2 and in Children of Earth (cement-related rumblings from Stavros notwithstanding -- NO SPOILERS PLEASE).

• 3 weeks later...

For the first time in about 15 years since it aired on Cartoon Network's Toonami, I re-watched Gundam Wing. I'm still finalizing my thoughts, but immediately what springs to mind aside from three truths I held back in the 5th grade (those being: Trowa's awesome, Relena's...not, and Dorothy's hilarious) is that this was in no way a show meant for kids. Not so much concerning adult content as even in the uncut version it's fairly tame, but it's very political and VERY convoluted. You have to actively pay close attention to keep up with what's going on. Even still, the characters' motivations are occasionally vague and confusing, and the two main antagonists switch sides late into the series with very muddied reasonings that happen at the drop of a hat. That's my thoughts thus far having finished all 49 episodes before re-watching the OVA finale.

Not so much concerning adult content as even in the uncut version it's fairly tame, but it's very political and VERY convoluted. You have to actively pay close attention to keep up with what's going on. Even still, the characters' motivations are occasionally vague and confusing, and the two main antagonists switch sides late into the series with very muddied reasonings that happen at the drop of a hat. That's my thoughts thus far having finished all 49 episodes before re-watching the OVA finale.

Watching one of the more recent series Iron Blooded Orphans, it seems like that's standard for Gundam series. There are so many characters that my friend and I have a hard time keeping up with who's who and what they want. Still very good stuff tho.

• 2 weeks later...

American Crime Story: The People vs. OJ Simpson started out being perfectly entertaining sleaze. Now that it's moved onto the trial stuff, it's gripping, soul-suckingly engrossing drama with a Murderer's Row of acting talent.

I am suspicious about that knife suddenly showing up while this is airing.

But yeah, the show is great.