What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

Finished GLOW and am brutally sad that it's over. Can't wait for more.

A few episodes into Friends From College and Megan and I are liking it pretty well.

First couple episodes of The Keepers and it's decent. The first episode is a real failure, but the second episode is so much better.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I mainlined the first season of The Expanse the last couple of days. While SyFy has gotten more into showing SchiFi in the last couple of years, this is the first thing they've put out that is on the same level of Battlestar Galactica since, well, Battlestar Galactica. Whereas BSG was all about the military side of conflict, this is definitely a series about the normal people. Mind you, the normal people become big damn heroes but still.

When Jodie Whitaker was announced as the next Doctor, my girlfriend suggested I check out her work in Broadchurch. Finished the first season last night. It's terrific. David Tennant might be one of my favorite actors ever after this, and believe me, this is an actor's show. A ton of WHO alumnus show up here (Arthur Darvill, David Bradley), and if Chibnill brings his A-game to his era as he did with this show, we're in for a helluva time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finished season 2 and 3 of Broadchurch, and both were very good. Season 2 I'd rank third in terms of best. It gets pretty melodramatic and doesn't flow as well as season one. The trial scenes are very over the top and the mystery for the season doesn't feel as organically written as last season. Tennant's Hardy basically bullies Olivia Coleman's Miller into helping him solve his old case. It wasn't awful, but felt more stagey than season One. Season 3 was much more nuanced and a back to basics approach. Hardy and Miller are working a rape case, and for once it's not a situation where they're personally involved, so we see them do what they do best without collapsing. We have the Latimers for that, the family whose boy was murdered back in season 1. The father, 3 years later, still can't get past it. This season has a solid mystery and character development which matched the quality of the first year. Overall I'd highly recommend the show, and am more than ever excited for Chibnill and Whitaker's Doctor Who based on their work in this.

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Dan said:

I feel like I should like Westworld a lot more than I do. Everything about it seems like it was grown in a lab specifically to be my favorite show ever, and it's not bad at all, but I'm nowhere near as into it as I want to be.

I neglected to post in this topic when I saw it a few months back. It's well done but I agree, some parts I just don't care about as others. I'm ambivalent on checking out the upcoming new season. 

1 hour ago, Donomark said:

I neglected to post in this topic when I saw it a few months back. It's well done but I agree, some parts I just don't care about as others. I'm ambivalent on checking out the upcoming new season. 

Me three. 

That said, if we get to see more of

Samurai World 

then I'm in. 

• 2 weeks later...

I watched all thirteen episodes of the early 2000s animated series Mission Hill. It's created by Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein, former writers for the Simpsons who showran season 7 and 8, and in my opinion were the last great arbiters of the classic era (if you listen to the commentaries for their seasons, they really got in depth with what they wanted to do with their time on the show and took all the characters and stories pretty seriously). Mission Hill was their chance to write for characters that were not showcased much at all on the Simpsons, mainly the teenage-twenty-somethings range. It's about two brothers, one nerdy seventeen year-old Kevin and his older twenty-four year old slacker brother Andy, living in a NY-esque hipster-esque area. A lot of jokes are on their interests such as meeting one's potential, growing up and manifesting destiny, in that quirky observational way. In terms of the writing, it takes a couple of episodes to find it's groove but it's pretty good. It never comes close to their Simpsons writing but there's definitely a similar style in terms of the act-break gags and sense of irony. It's a more frankly sexual and mature style of writing that deals with things like masturbation and homosexuality more directly.  The characters are entertaining enough. Andy's generally a prick who just stops short of being unlikable when push comes to shove. Kevin is voiced by Scott Menville, so his voice is that of Robin doing his best nerd impression. The animation and art design is very comic strip/alternative comics, with visual keys like eyesight lines and clouds over head that's kind of cool to see pop up now and then. There's a wide variety of cool palettes that alternates from day to night. Overall I enjoyed watching the show and mourn it's short lived existence as it was cancelled 13 episodes into it's 18 episode deal. I really like Oakley and Weinstein and appreciate what they were trying to do with the series, and the show itself is still funny despite being on the WB at a very specific time. The most dated episode is one where Andy joins the cast of the Real World, but it's also the funniest as it just fires ammunition on late 90s MTV.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: I have only finished Phantom Blood and saw a little bit of Battle Tendencies. This feels like one of those stories that shouldn't work but it does. Futurama may be the show that has had the most memes but JoJo is a strong challenger for second place, one of their memes seem to be re-drawing a franchise JoJo style.

d915e014f1ecdfb744cea235428480e2-more-jo91b6a0f1510d97c04ca9cc2aa3e3722e.jpg371a413dada1bf3e1d4ebbc63d942442.jpg

Any meme with Hank Hill is an instant winner.

I watched all of the Crying Freeman OVAs and subsequently read the manga series they're based on. Hoo boy, what madness. Illustrated by Ryochi Ikegami, the artist behind Spider-Man the Manga, this is an insane, incredibly violently, ridiculously erotic action series that played everything deadly serious as it got zanier and zanier. May go into it further in a future podcast, but G'damn.

uhuh.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

At my favorite used toy store I saw a vhs of Crying Freeman and I am now debating on whether I should buy it or not.

Star Vs. the Forces of Evil - Its Rick and Morty except Fantasy over SF and family friendly.

Sonic Boom - I think the creators of the show realized that the only people watching it would be Sonic the Hedgehog fans. Which makes it funnier when they insult them with the maniacally obsessed character of Mark the Tapir.  I enjoy the Sega and fourth wall jokes as well as referencing memes (a few of which I learned from the show).

ea4.jpg

Stranger Things 2 - Enjoyed seeing how the characters grew and have become more likeable. I know Shannon Purser got an Emmy nomination for playing Barb. That made me afraid that the writers would add her in as a force ghost or Eleven could suddenly bring her back. I had nothing to fear.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to watching Season 7 of Once Upon a Time and, okay, yeah, it is a major mess with some new characters I don't care about, some plotlines that were obviously being written as they went with no plan and, yet, it remembered something big: Rumple and Regina are the most interesting characters and this has always been their story. Both characters get the right ending for what they've worked for and that's something I'm grateful for.

As a series, Once Upon a Time was some I appreciated for being an occasional trainwreck, occasional laughable soap opera, but also kind of knowing what it was: Official Disney Fanfiction and that's why it's something that I'll always have kind of fond memories of.

Space Dandy -  I really wish I watched it when this came out. I knew that there would be shameless fan service,  but I did not count on a couple of things. 

1. Making references to some really obscure SF franchises, as well as other anime comedies. 

2. Having a comedy that does not make any homages to Star Wars. 

I don't know if it is because my Star Wars fatigue levels have gone from .2 to .6 on the Damien Wilkens scale, or is it because I remembered one of the laziest

animated  comedies that I have seen was a Star Wars parody? but I am glad that I did not see it in Space Dandy.