What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

Just finished my watch-through of Archer. It took me about three years, but - having just finished it - it was absolutely worth it. I don't suppose it will ever return, but it ended on a great dumb joke, and that's perfect. More to say at another time.

Until then:

Does anybody have weird incomprehensible fictional crushes? No? Me neither.

1.jpg

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And tonight we've binged the first half of Made For Love, which is great and has my new favourite actress Cristin Miloti (from Palm Springs, and that Black Mirror episode about toxic geek fandom as a Star Trek spoof). Good stuff.

I'm also halfway through season 2 of Creepshow and am NOT liking it. I know Barbara Cramton shows up, so I'm watching that for sure. Otherwise, I'd probably bounce.

I think my next "working from home lunch viewing" now that Archer is done will be the Spawn series. Got that on DVD a while back. Them is also on the docket.

• 2 weeks later...

So my actual next choice to watch for lunches has been a split between Letterkenny (when I'm lazy) and Love Death and Robots (when I'm industrious or stoned). Both shows are great. LDR debuted the second "season" today, but I still have a few from season one to watch. It's not so much an anthology series as it is a set of animated sci fi short films between 10 and 15 minutes long. It's fucking excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

Love Death Robots season 2 was great, but ten episodes shorter than 1. Which is lame.

HBO's HACKS is fantastic. Really, they should just keep casting Jean Smart in series and I'll keep stealing my girlfriend's Crave account login to watch it.

On 4/28/2021 at 1:29 PM, Dread said:

Just finished my watch-through of Archer. It took me about three years, but - having just finished it - it was absolutely worth it. I don't suppose it will ever return, but it ended on a great dumb joke, and that's perfect. More to say at another time.

Until then:

Does anybody have weird incomprehensible fictional crushes? No? Me neither.

1.jpg

Apparently Archer is returning. Jessica Walter recorded all her lines before she passed away. One more season would be nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Homecoming season 2. What a  great show. I hope they end it there. I don't see going anywhere that won't be cliche after this.

Finished Lucifer season 5 with the girlfriend. It's about as lacklustre as the show usually is, but I did not expect them to go where they went. Season 6 should be interesting.

Four episodes into The Kominsky Method and I've cried at every episode. It's also a great comedy and a blast to see Douglas and Arkin with each other. Nancy Travis is great too. 

Started Black Summer despite it being a zombie show. We'll see. One episode in and (other than the fractured storytelling) it's pretty bog standard. I'll give it another spade or two before deciding.

Quantum Leap, season one: This show is a whole lot hornier than I remembered. And not just Al's stories about Tina and his mistresses. Sam tries to seduce his future girlfriend 10 years before they meet all while pushing away someone the person he leapt into was sleeping with, then he's got a stripper girlfriend, then he tries to seduce a cowgirl, next he leaps into a hitman just after he's had sex with the ex of the mob boss, then he kisses a 16 (?) year old girl to secure his leap out, and finishes up by falling for a femme fatal. I think the only one he might sleep with is the stripper, but that's never confirmed. He does fall in love a few times though.

Season one is mostly low drama, or personal drama. There's no high action outside of a quick drag race and two gun battles in the final episode. But it very much lays the framework for the show moving forward.

Season two begins (and this is as far as I am on the rewatch) with Al pleading the case of Project Quantum Leap before a Senate oversight committee, while Sam attempts to save the life of woman from her murderous ex-husband. This one honestly comes off like Donald P. Bellisario working through his frustrations with producers. The whole "don't cut our budget" portions honestly feels like Bellisario fictionalized his conversations with tight-wad producers, and the thing with Sam having to violently kill two men is clearly also something the producers asked for. (And the theme of someone stealing your wife could easily be read as Bellisario having something he loves taken from him.) Can't say any of this actually happened in real life, but it very much feels like it.

And while season one had a few mentions that God might be controlling Sam's leaps, season two opens with constant talk of this being a fact. It'll be interesting to see how much they keep this up.

I've been watching Gravity Falls since March. Halfway through season 2 and the real plot is finally rearing it's head. So far it's been a very funny but ultimately breezy series of done-in-one episodes, save for the two with Bill. Episode 11 of Season 2 was mostly serious, and is my favorite so far because of it.

Continuing my Quantum Leap rewatch, and, yeah, someone high up at NBC clearly forced Bellisario to make changes to the show. Especially when it comes to the violence. Season two opens with Honeymoon Express, in which one guy is sliced in half by a train and Sam stab another to death. Then we jump to Disco Inferno, and this one opens with Sam getting blasted with a shotgun. It turns out he's a Hollywood stuntman and the whole thing was on a movie set, but it's rather bloody. Later, while standing atop a building, a scorned ex-lover pushes Sam off said building. She falls to her death, and Sam does too. But oops! This was also a movie stunt. And it ends with a stunt gone wrong, resulting in a massive explosion, and Sam's "brother" nearly dying. And in The Americanization of Machiko, Sam's "wife" is abducted by a racist World War II vet, resulting in a life-or-death fight between the two men. It's nuts how violent the show became.

One of the aspects of Quantum Leap that I did not recall is that Al is forbidden from telling Sam anything about his life, including his name (first episode) and personal history. In The Americanization of Machiko, Al jokes that Sam wasn't nervous when he got married for real, to which a surprised Sam says, "I'm married?!" Al quickly denies it, passing it off as a joke. But then he makes an "Oh shit!" face Sam can't see. This is the very first indication that Sam is married, something that would not be confirmed until the first episode of season four. It's a clever little clue to astute viewers.

What Price Gloria? is so uncomfortable and did not age well at all.

Sam leaps into a woman for the first time, and it's as uncomfortable as you might think. Everyone is constantly hitting on Sam, including Al. Al is so horned up by the woman Sam's leapt into, he starts seeing a psychiatrist about it. From there Al questions his sexuality, can't get it up for anyone but female Sam, and even calls Sam a hermaphrodite.

And how does Sam put the antagonist in his place? By trying to seduce him while revealing that he's really a man. Yeah, it goes to some nasty transphobic places.

For all of the good it does addressing sexual harassment in and out of the workplace, it's mired by everything to do with Al and that ending.

• 4 weeks later...

I never mentioned I finished Preacher. It's top 5 comic-themed TV shows EASILY. 

I have watched THE WIRE all the way through for the first time. I thought it lived up to the hype. The acting, directing, writing and tone was consistent almost completely. Every season a slowly-ratcheting tension machine. It gave game a new favourite actor/character combo in Clarke Peters' Lester Freamon. Amazing. Unfortunately, it's a little soured by a ridiculous main plot device in the final season that it kind of sours it for me a bit. 

Just started rewatching SEINFELD because the son who recommended it and no longer wants to watch it has me too impatient to wait. I've seen every episode several times, but I didn't realize the first season was only four episodes. They made those episodes with NBC's late night summer special series funding that they had no ideas for. It was on the chopping black for three seasons. I'm almost on season three now.

I watched season one of THE PUNISHER. It outlines how much the character is better suited to film. Honestly, a genuine complaint about season 2 of Daredevil is that it felt like half a season of a Punisher show. This show didn't feel like a Punisher story for the first eight episodes. It's good, but it's not a great Punisher story. Bernthal's great, but there's too much of him in this show. There's a lot of The Punisher having feelings and complicated half romantic relationships with fragile women and not a lot of him belaying down the side of a building and bazooka-ing a mob meeting. I love the Homeland Security lead. "Deborah Ann Woll looks so beautiful when she's crying" is probably the next opening line to my therapist, but goddammit, it's true.  The last few episodes are great. I'm hoping season two is a little more balls to the wall.  

Stacy and I had drinks and watched SEXY BEASTS on netflix. A fucking stupid dating show where all the contestants ware in weird heavy make-up (a demon, a robot, a scarecrow, a dolphin, a panda, an alien, etc. It was relatively harmless.