What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have seen two more episodes of TNG from teh seventh season, and I wants more.

Its really a very good show towards the end, even with Troi. Season 3 onwards is well worth watching.

That really is the trend with most Star Treks. Season one and two of most of the series is focused on figuring out the direction of the show and characters. Season 3 of TNG is when we get rid of Dr. Pulaski. Coincidentally, it's when Roddenberry had less to do with the series. DS9 is a major example. Season 1 and 2 kinda just establish the tensions with Season three introducing the Defiant and the beginnings of the Dominion War. Voyager delays it a season until four when things start picking up (Voyager is my favorite Star Trek Series. I know, I'm ashamed of me also.).

Why does everyone dislike Dr. Pulaski?

Personally I felt they were benching Crusher to bring in a new McCoy, and whilst Pulaski wasn't an especially poor character the substitution just didn't seem to add anything to the show. Crusher has the thing with Picard, all Pulaski really had was being slightly irritatingly ingratiating. Neither Docter really brought much to the show.

Why does everyone dislike Dr. Pulaski?

I'll admit one reason is that she isn't Dr. Crusher. I know that's not a very legitimate excuse but it is one. But I do have legitimate reasons also. Part of it is her attitude toward Data during much of her time on the show. I know she gets better about it toward the end of her run but still, cyborg or not, you're a doctor. Have a bone of fraking compassion. She always just seemed kinda cold to me. I'm sure I would have liked her better if I didn't have much better doctors to compare her to in the history of Star Trek but when you have characters like Dr. Bashir, The Doctor on Voyager, McCoy, and Crusher then you have a lot to live up to. Still, anyway you slice it, she's still preferable to Wesley Crusher.

Why does everyone hate Wesley so much? Will Wheaton rules.

I hate Wesley because its fun. He's not actually the worst character in the series (Troi) but he is a teenager on TV during the 80's/90's and is therefore annoying. Plus he was a genius and got to fly the flagship of starfleet around whilst wearing that stupid grey/rainbow outfit. He was better later on but god he pisses me off in the early shows.

I love Wil Wheaton, I just hate Wesley Crusher. Most people who hate the character hold nothing against Wil Wheaton for playing the part. Hell, he hates Wesley more than anyone else it seems like. That said, Wesley does get better as the series goes on but, oh god is he annoying during the first season. The fact that they let him stay on the Enterprise after The Naked Now just shows that Picard is a very forgiving man.

Anyway, watching Troll 2, and yeah, so just threw away my popcorn.

TNG two parter Unification. There is great continuity between Star Trek VI and these episodes, and even the new film. Spock's whole reasoning for dealing with the Romulans is based in his mistakes in the initial dealings with the Klingons that got Kirk and McCoy thrown into Ruare Penthe.

Judging by how old Spock looks here (identical to the original films) about 70 years after VI it mean that the future Spock must be from at least another 70 years after TNG, he's aged massively by then. The prelude comics contradict this but it makes no sense for Spock to have gone from late middle age to ancient in a mere 10 to 15 years if he ages like a Vulcan.

After watching The Devils Backbone this afternoon, which confirmed that Pans Labyrinth wasn't a fluke, I'm left utterly bemused by the nature of Del Toro's Hellboy films. The Devils Backbone has exactly the sort of local myth style horror that Hellboy demands, and yet its almost completly missing from the decidedly average Hellboy films. Yes there's a certain otherworldly kineticism to Hellboy that needs to be introduced but they are almost completely without the fear of the dark aspect that makes Mignola's original work so great and there's no good reason for that since Del Toro's obviously so incredible at doing just that.

I'm really enjoying my current run of film watching, the theme being "Films I have in my possession but not watched yet". So far this has included The Devil's Backbone, Let The Right One In, The Mist and Barton Fink. Next up, North By Northwest, followed by Road To Perdition and Brokeback Mountain. I'm enjoying it so much that I might try to find some additions to the list, maybe I'll even crack open Citizen Kane which has been gathering dust on my shelf for over three years.

Brokeback mountain is actually a really good film and the stuff that turns people away is just a bad myth.

I'm totally fine with watching it but my copy came from some friends who said it was the most boring film they'd ever seen. I'm not apprehensive about watching it, I just figure I'll need to be in the right mood. I considered putting it on today but that would make it the 5th new film I'd seen today, having already watched The Devil's Backbone, Road to Perdition, North by Northwest and Tigerland. I honestly was planning to go out today but plans got canceled so I wound up doing this instead.

Time to wind down the day with a classic TNG two-parter, Chain of Command. There are four lights!