What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stavros, I know this is a little late, but how'd you like Road to Perdition?

I liked it quite a bit. I'm a fan of Sam Mendes work and he certainly captured the feeling of the era. The script was uncompromising, I haven't read the graphic novel but it certainly had the feel of a story told outside of Hollywood convention.

I'm always uncomfortable with mob bosses and henchmen being characterised as good people in bad situations which is definitely how Hanks and Newman were played, put in their position by worse men but unable or unwilling to turn away from what must be done. Its a good plot and its well told but Hank's character in particular was almost portrayed as an honest working man rather than a former henchman. I guess thats informed by how his son sees him. The two villains are interesting, Daniel Craig is most informed by Commodus from Gladiator and Law is a complete comic book villain, complete with quirky modus operandi.

Quibbles aside I got a lot out of it and there is some stunning camera work, in particular Paul Newman's last scene. Well worth checking out, it won't rock your world and its exploration of what it means to be criminal is somewhat romanticized but it makes up for that with some unhollywoodish occurrences and generally good performances. You wouldn't regret watching it.

Although I shouldn't have watched it so close to Millar's Crossing. By comparison it felt like Road to Perdition was taking itself far too seriously, especially considering the similar plots and the contrast between the characters played by Gabriel Byrne & Tom Hanks.

Starting my Miyazaki series right back at the beginning pre Studio Ghibli with Panda! Go, Panda! (1972) and its follow up Panda! Go, Panda!: The Rainy-Day Circus (1973). These were directed by Miyazaki's Studio Ghibli partner Isao Takahata (Grave of the Fireflys, Pom Poko, My Neighbour's the Yamadas, Only Yesterday) and created and written by Miyazaki himself. Along with Lupin III these are some of the earliest examples of the work the pair would do together after meeting at Toei animation.

Only 10 films to go-

The Castle of Cagliostro

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

Laputa: Castle in the Sky

My Neighbor Totoro

Kiki's Delivery Service

Porco Rosso

Princess Mononoke

Spirited Away

Howl's Moving Castle

Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea

Ponyo should be out in DVD in early July which is a plus seeing as I can't seem to find a UK release date.

Guest DCAUFan1051

Voltron Defender Of The Universe: Lion Force... I love this cartoon... rewatching the DVD's for research. We're covering it this Sunday in ToonCast Episode 4 Recording.

Just finished the last few episodes of Arrested Development this afternoon.

Wow.

That was seriously one of the best shows ever.

The best part is re-watching the series and catching onto the subtle foreshadowing (

ie Buster's chair is shaped like a hand.

) Even better is if you catch onto the foreshadowing, then they just throw you for a complete loop as to how it happens. Really, any comedy that can do as much with it's continuity deserves an award.

They're watching it again.

I'm ripping it to pieces to keep my sanity. Not sure how well it's working. :P

You can't destroy the things you love. Just accept it, be one with the High School Musical. You know, sometimes you have to go with what your heart tells you. There's things we all secretly love. And we just can't keep them bottled up inside.

'Cause you gotta do what you wanna do.

Don't let noithin' get in your way, chase your dream every day.

True, girl, you know it's true,

that if you really wanna be you, you've gotta do what you wanna do.

thank you South Park.

The Star Wars fanfilm The Formula. It's got its slow spots, but I really recommend it to anyone who either has been or wants to be part of any kind of "Hey gang, let's put on a show!" situation. Funny stuff.