What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tonight after a staff party, Megan and I will be watching Disc One of Weeds Season Four. :yes:

Have you seen season 4 yet?

Do enjoy, sir. A great many changes are ahead for the Botwins (And Albert Brooks!).

Nope. We watch them on DVD seeing as we don't have cable but I fell in love in season three three times so I expect good things.

Watching the last three episodes of My Name is Earl.

It's so sad, this show started so well, but then fell off a cliff so many times.

Edit: Ok, I am now done with Earl, the last episode was shit and they left it on a cliffhanger that I really didn't care about.

It's over, finally!

Finished Doctor Who Season 3 last night and I'm pleased that I started with this one. For one thing, having only seen a few Rose episodes, I was coming at The Doctor's attitude the same way that Martha did. I can see what people say about her character regressing because the fact she also fell in love with him often took the sheen off of her involvement in otherwise stellar episodes, but other than that, I'm still a fan of the character. Didn't like her family though, and again, it's the inexplicable Radio 1 DJ Reggie Yates appearing as her brother. Well done BBC, another celeb successfully pimped.

I now have my Carry On and BTAS boxsets to crack on with, but I'm thinking of collecting Dr Who seasons 1,2 &4 in that order to have a better chronological understanding of the modern series. Plus it should stand me in good stead for Turn Left, from what BOTI suggests.

Somehow found the time to start rewatching Dexter. I'm also listening to the audiobooks as well, so its quite interesting to see what elements are changed for TV. For starters they only incorporated some basic hints at the villain of the second book Dr Danco.

I guess that a bad guy who surgically removes legs, arms, genitals, ears, lips, tongue, nose and eyelids according to a sick variation of hangman that he plays with his victims might be a bit much. Especially since he ensures that their wounds are stitched up and they remain alive after. And he does it all in front of a full length mirror whilst pumping them full of drug cocktails. Possibly the first book to make me feel physically sick in a long time.

Still, its a great show. I'm really looking forward to wading into season 2 for the real high-tension high-stakes stuff.

Hilariously enough, after talking with Darryll today about Superman III, I went to Megan's family's house for dinner but my allergies were so bad I had to go inside. I turn on the TV and what's on? Superman III.

I stand by the following: Superman III is an excellent caper comedy punctuated by terribly shitty moments featuring Superman. Richard Pryor is absolutely perfect, in particular the drunken code-cracking.

Superman spends the first half of the fucking movie chasing Lana Lang's tail (though, can you blame him?)

Toole.jpg

But, as far as Supes moments, it does feature the single greatest frame in a superhero movie, ever:

1983_Superman_III.jpg

Superman spends the first half of the fucking movie chasing Lana Lang's tail (though, can you blame him?)

Toole.jpg

Eww, she looks just like his mother. ;)

But, as far as Supes moments, it does feature the single greatest frame in a superhero movie, ever:

1983_Superman_III.jpg

That is monumental. Superman needs a glass of scotch before he jumps that tall building.

Watching the Glastonbury festival recaps on the BBC iPlayer right now. Blur and The Prodigy were fantastic as I figured they'ed be, but I was surprised by how much I liked Lily Allen's set.

Currently watching Jarvis Cocker's set. That man in his current state looks like Jonathon Crane, if the part wasn't already cast I'd say make him the live action scarecrow.

Also watched Quantum of Solace last night. Its not the best Bond film ever but its good, above average in my opinion. Felt like a Timothy Dalton story. Plus I found the action much easier to follow on a small screen than a cinema projection.

Superman III is an awesome Richard Pryor movie, did you know he was off his head on cocaine when he signed the contract, without even looking at the script?

You do now.

To be fair, it was the eighties. Everyone was off their nut on cocaine. Pryor just moreso. :)

Just watched the entire Death Note series, followed that up with the first 11 Episodes of Harpers Island, and moving onto Spectacular Spider-man Season 2. Thoughts:

Death Note: Fantastic at the beginning, buy after the death of certain character, it seems like the show kind of limped to an ending.

Harpers Island: I can't believe how good this show is! It's on CBS, and NOBODY knows about it. It'll make a great box set. If you like horror, find a way to check it out.

Spectacular Spider-man: It's better than Batman: B&TB, yeah... I said it... Wanna fight?

Darkman: Not my favorite Sam Raimi movie, but a very good one. Durant might just be my favorite villain in movie history. Just because he's so calm, so methodical. It's a shame that Larry Drake didn't become a bigger star. Liam Neeson and Frances McDormand are both on their usual par of awesomeness, too. Highly recommended to just about anyone. I think I would have enjoyed it more if Raimi had gotten his way and a certain big chinned Michiganite had been in the lead role.

Fight Club: Slick, memorable and immensely quoteable, but as I get older, it's easier to see that this just isn't a very good movie. It's everything that it's meant to rail againist. It's a fun ride, but outside of Norton's great monologues and Brad Pitt's abs, it's ultimately hollow.

I was beside myself with joy when he showed up on Firefly. Matter of fact, he's got what might be my favorite line in the whole show.

Mal: So, You taking this job, being my second, this mean we have a deal?

Harrow/(Drake): It means you're in mortal danger, but you mussed up Atherton's face, and that has endeared you to me, somewhat.