What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Then I decided to watch Edwar Norton in the Incredible hulk.

Is that movie supposed to suck?

I agree that is wasn't great, but I'd really like to see the Edward Norton cut of the film. The final version cut huge chunks out of Norton's version and you can really tell. I think the extended version would be well worth checking out if only they'd release it ala Daredevils Directors cut.

I actually watched all the deleted scenes (all 45 minutes or so) and while some are really good and would have helped, I didn't think they would have impacted the movie as much as everybody thinks they would. Although it's hard to tell without the actual splicing into the film.

That Daredevil Director's cut is a million times better than the theatrical and actually a pretty decent popcorn film. I actually really liked it.

Over the past month I've watched:

Four Brothers - really didn't like it,

L.A. Confidential - really liked it, I love crime thrillers stories, plus it's a period piece, with awesome actors, amazing.

Cinderella Man - really liked it, another winner, great period piece and human emotion story, with awesome acting

ECW's first PPV - uhmm...I guess you had to be there in terms of getting the matches, but it's a nice look at the movement and it's a fun watch, Taz vs. Sabu is crazy,

The Rise and Fall of ECW - much better in explaining the mystique behind the movement, and the stories

The Mist - in black and white, I've heard so many mixed reviews about this, but honestly it's severely underrated and actually it was pretty awesome outside of Thomas Jane's terrible acting near the end and the horrible soundtrack on the ending, it's one of the best horror movies I've seen in a long time.

some X-men the animated series - after Beyond Good and Evil 4-parter it's been all down hill from there,

and most of Season 7 of 24 - Goodness, I hated Season 6 so much that this just blew my socks off, the middle of the season with the White House raid is one of the most tense segments ever, should finish off the season this weekend.

That's my watching habits. YAY.

To finish out the marathon of insanity:

Strange Brew: The Adventures of Bob and Doug McKenzie: Take Hamlet. Set it in a brewery. Make Rosencrantz and Guilderstern into Des and Daryl, and give it a happy ending. What do you get?

One of my favorite comedies from my formative years. Tremendously fun movie and the banter between Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas is spectacular. Canada's finest film.

A

That made my night.

Rewatching Buffy. Finished season one already and moved onto season 2. Its still very patchy at this point and the monster of the week format leads to some very dodgy effects but all in all there's a lot of solid build for what comes later, and the trademark dialogue still sparkles. Only one episode until Spike arrives and the show turns into something truly special. School Hard is a GREAT episode.

Season one/two/three Buffy really reminds me how cute Sarah Michelle Gellar was back then. Season 4 onwards she's sort of a bit scary thin and needs the good hair & makeup to really look top-notch again (season 6 short hair was a great look for her). Alyson Hannigan on the other hand only gets better.

And Emma Caufield! :wub:

Joss Whedon can cast 'em.

For the purposes of the thread: I'm catching up on Weeds and Burn Notice on DVD. I'm into season 3 of Weeds and it just keeps getting better and better. It's not perfect, by any means, but it's really damned good.

Emma Caulfield was sorta scary thin too. I'm more of an Amber Benson man myself. Or Eliza Dushku. I'm even starting to appreciate Charisma Carpenter more, she had some serious form on her in this show.

I'm not sure if this is a sign of me aging or whatever but my favorite character in this show is now Giles by a country mile. His exasperation at dealing with all these irresponsible kids all the time is hilarious. When I was young Xander was blatantly the one you were supposed to empathize with if you were a guy watching this but in the 3-4 years since I last watch this show right through I've obviously become a Giles.

edit: Hey, its Oz! I miss Oz in later seasons, the show really worked when they had more than one regular guy in the scoobies.

Got to maybe the greatest disk in the entire Buffy collection, disk 4 season 2. Surprise/Innocence, the superb two-parter where Angel goes bad, Phases, where Oz becomes a werewolf and really gets together with Willow and Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered, the awesome comedy Xander episode where every woman in Sunnydale falls instantly hopelessly in love with him.

This my friends, is the good stuff.

edit- Somehow I think that enjoying David Boreanaz's Evil act in this show makes me a misogynist on the level of Adham Fisher. Its just so much fun to see him ripping into this poor girl acting like her first time meant nothing to him.

edit- Somehow I think that enjoying David Boreanaz's Evil act in this show makes me a misogynist on the level of Adham Fisher. Its just so much fun to see him ripping into this poor girl acting like her first time meant nothing to him.

Yeah I was the same, although I think it's helped by SMG's acting she really looks devastated with the things he says and does.

Guest DCAUFan1051

in prep for MWIRE Episode 02 I've been watching The Naked Gun films.... I think my sense of humor has changed since first seeing these because I haven't laughed but once throughout the first 2 films... gonna watch the third tomorrow.

I think it has more to do with the fact that Boreanaz is God's only begotten son.

...Sorry, I'm a fan.

I'm a fan too. He's not an actor with great range or anything but he's very watchable and very adept at what he's required to do, be it brood intensely, do wacky comedy or in this case be a complete and utter bastard.

Up to midway through season 3 of Buffy, and she's just changed her hair again. I'll say this, season three Buffy might well be my favourite, she's got a little meat on her bones and she isn't afraid to sport some cleavage on a regular basis, something that from season 4 onward was impossible. This was pretty much the zenith of SMG, the make-up and the costume departments came together to really pull together on a few outfits and looks.

The fact that the show seems to have upgraded the quality of its film to allow for a far greater depth of colour adds something too. This was really the peak of the show visually, later seasons were colourful but almost forgot to be dark, this year has a lot of dark greens and blues in its palate. Plus they are relighting some old sets like the mansion and making them new. It really stopped feeling like a low-budget 90's show at this point (dodgy cgi experiments aside).

Not sure if its the best season overall but its tied together nicely and there are plenty of good fun episodes like The Wish, The Zeppo and Lover's Walk. It does lack that killer top-level episode like Hush, The Body or Once More With Feeling, but its probably more solid overall than most of the later seasons, it keeps the drama/humour more in balance.

Watched the new series of Dragons Den last night.

One guy went into the den, started to give numbers and when asked how much the product was to make, he told the dragons "That's not relevant, I don't want to discuss that" Debra Meaden then proceed to do what she does best, rip the asshole apart.

Moral of the story, don't fuck with the Meaden.

This weekend I finished X-men The 90's Animated Series...really took me a while to finally finish because most of the eps after Beyond Good And Evil at the beginning of season 4 is pretty boring.

I also watched rewatched Batman Begins for the first time since I've seen the Dark Knight in theaters with my uncle who generally despises superhero films. He liked it, which was good, I liked it more than ever before which is good. I never really liked Batman Begins, I always thought it was just okay. Now after watching The Dark Knight last year, I really see Nolan's vision in Batman Begins. It really connects rather well, and it's a rather monstrous movie. I really appreciate that realism in the films, the worldliness, the crime aspects, the psychological aspects, and of course the origin aspects that really lead into the next film rather well. I've even begun to appreciate the action sequences a bit more, especially the first one on the docks, the quick cuts really resembles how the thiefs see Batman, in that they never really see him, it's all with a flash and then he disappears. Although the action still is hindered very much by the quick cuts, especially the fights in the third act of the film, I understand and appreciate the action a bit more from earlier parts of the film. Really the third act overall, isn't quite that good. But I still like this film more than when I watched it in theater and DVD the first time.

Watched Milk over the weekend, it was fine. Didn't think it was all that great. But the acting was definitely top notch from the entire cast and the era was quite believably represented. Also the movie was supposed to be powerful, it does have emotional resonance, but in a lot of ways it feels forced. The best parts are actually the small quiet parts, the scene repeated in the opening and ending was excellent. I liked the film overall, but I didn't love it.

Even better I watched The Hunting Party, a little film starring Richard Gere and Terrence Howard, I'd definitely suggest renting this film. It's certainly not the best film ever, it's very strange, but also very fun. It's kind of like Three Kings in the tone of the film. It does tend to drag in the middle as it feels like it's running around in circles but overall I found it a good diversion.