What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You fail to notice the artistic merit of two cinematic epics starring that English rose Kate Beckinsale, Hannah? Dubs will not be pleased.....

I'm about to throw in Licence to Kill to start preparing for next Sunday's recording of FYEO.

Van Helsing is one of the worst films I've ever seen.

Really? I liked it the first time I saw it. Granted, it was 10:30pm at a theater near a forest, so it was a bit more immersive. The second time I saw the film, though, it was really just boring.

I actually really enjoy a few of Stephen Sommers' films. I love the first two Mummy films (though I hate the third with a fiery passion). The Mummy Returns is my perfect example of a terrible film that I absolutely love for reasons that I can't quantify.

But on an entirely different front...

Lately I've been going back and watching bits of Battlestar Galactica. It's every bit as amazing as I remember it.

I watched the last episode of Psychoville.

It started out really well, with David the serial killer, going to a crimestoppers branch to admit the murders he committed, only to be told because one was outside the area, they could do nothing to help.

Then it went all to shit.

The explanation for the murders was fucking stupid. The twists were all so fucking dumb and pointless, and the way it ended, setting up a second season the show did not need was total BS.

Also they never explained what happened to Davids mum when she found out about what really happened and went after David.

This episode was so poorly handled and done, I was genuinely pissed off when it was finished.

Fuck this show, and to think, I thought it was awesome a few weeks ago.

Even Beckinsale in leather can't save these. :P

Beckinsale riding on a unicycle naked whilst juggling couldn't save those movies. Van Helsing is one of the worst films I've ever seen.

I can't think of another film I'd rank lower. Hugh Jackman should be ashamed of himself.

Watching Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I'm actually watching all the series so far out of order, and this was the perfect follow-up to Philosophers Stone, which is horrible. Azkaban by contrast isn't just the best film of the series, its a really good film in its own right. The children are grown enough to be good on screen, better than they are in later films in fact, and the script is a work of art cramming loads of references in along with a genuine sense of dread and some cracking humour. I wish Alfonso Cuarón had directed all the films. Newell and Yates did good jobs but really all they are doing is aping the style of Azkaban.

Just finished the second season of Torchwood, which was mostly brilliant. The actor playing Gray was horrible, but his poor performance was offset by an amazing job done by the rest of the cast. And...

even though I knew it was coming, I nearly lost my shit when Tosh died.

Been rewatching the best parts of Season 4 of BSG; from the Hub through Sometimes a Great Notion, then Someone to Watch Over Me, and now am finishing up the last part of Daybreak, having watched the first part some time ago. We'll see if I still dislike the second half of this last part as much as I did the first time.

That, and a bit of Venture Bros.

EDIT: Yep, still hate the soapbox ending, pretty much anything from one hour in forward, with the exception of the final Roslin/Adama moments.

Fifty Dead Men Walking is a great film set in Belfast in the late eighties early nineties. It is also likely the only Canadian film set in Ireland to feature Ben Kingsley, Jim Sturgess and a red-headed Rose McGowan. Yes...the answer is yes. She looks ridiculously hot.

Laputa: Castle in the Sky. Probably the weakest proper Miyazaki film I've seen so far, but scarcely a poor film in its own right. Plenty of action, good characters and twists, accompanied by Miyazaki's usual fascination with flight. Shame it wasn't quite up to Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind but still, it was well worth watching. English subs suck though, the version I watched had Japanese audio over the english dub and it really dumbed the film down, you can tell they doubled the script in english to explain everything instead of relying on the animation.

Still got My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service and Porco Rosso to watch, which should be interesting since they aren't the epic fantasies that I've seen before.

I have been considering going to see some of the Miyazaki season a local arthouse cinema is running but its aimed at kids and the showings are mid-afternoon.

If you can get the Disney english dub for Nausicaa, listen to it. it's got amazing voices. Patrick Stewart, Uma Thurman, Edward James Olmos...

Thats the version I heard, I loved it. I was really impressed as a whole with Nausicaa actually, it was such a unique Miyazaki film in that its closer to traditional science fiction than his usual quasi-steampunk stuff. Again, its not quite on a level with Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke, but its still a wonderful film.

I was a little annoyed that Laputa wasn't with the english voices (Anna Paquin, James Van Der Beek, Mark Hammill) but apparently both Laputa and Kiki had significant additions to their scripts to fill up what they though was empty space. Annoying really, given how slow pacing in miyazaki films is always so deliberate, and it never fails to ramp up the action and suspense in the right places if need be.

Unfortunately all the rest of the films to watch look to be subs only. I really don't mind too much, in fact I think the soundtrack is superior on the Japanese audio version based on the DVD's, its just that Disney really did a great job with the casting and it seems a shame that I won't get to hear it, at least not until I fork out for the proper DVD's for every film (I'll add that to my christmas list).

Addition.

17 Again is unbelievably creepy. Especially when the daughter falls in love with her 17-again dad. And he hits on his wife as the 17-again boy. And tries to fix his son up with girls as 17-again, and give abstinence talks at 17-again...

And actor playing 17-again is Zac Efron, this does not help.

Creepy. The end. Brain bleach plz?