What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got back from seeing Ponyo with the little sisters. The showing was full of little kids, and the adults were enjoying it just as much as the kids were. Absolutely amazing visuals, the scenes with the ocean made my jaw drop.

There's some good voice acting, too: Liam Neeson and Cate Blanchett feature as Ponyo's parents (one's a slightly wacky magician, the other one's the goddess of the sea), Tina Fey is the main boy's mom, and Sousuke and Ponyo are played by one of the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus' little siblings, respectively (that last point will probably appeal more to younger siblings, but they still do a solid job). And whoever did the script for the dub actually got the nuances of the original language, so yay for them!

The plot itself kind of takes a backseat to Ponyo and Sousuke interacting, because the latter is cute beyond all reason, but it's still solid.

Definitely go see this if you have the money and it's near you. Seeing a Miyazaki film in the theatre is definitely an experience.

Jealousy! I can't wait for Ponyo to come out here, which I guess is why I bought the DVD. I'll still check it out when it comes around in cinemas though, the only Miyazaki film I've seen in theatres previously was Spirited Away.

You have to admit its worth braving Zac Efron occasionally if you can promote the cultural exchange of watching great anime with your sisters.

Two of the three younger sisters have at least a passing interest in anime, so the more I can expose them to better stuff than some of the trash they watch (see: 17 Again, Police Women of Broward County and Jon and Kate Plus 8), the better.

Seeing Miyazaki in theatres is something in and of itself, especially for this one; the ocean scenes are spectacular on a theatre screen. This is the only one I've seen in theatres besides Spirited Away when it went up for an Oscar.

Funny People: Solid enough, much, much darker than I expected. Adam Sandler has chops as a serious actor, as I knew, but Seth Rogen really impressed me. He played something beyond his usual big, dumb, funny guy. He wasn't super great, but he showed some things that I didn't know he had. Fuck Eric Bana, though. That guy has never been good in anything.

He was great in Hulk. He was superb in Troy. He was masterful in Munich. He was sublime in Chopper.

I admit I have not seen Black Hawk Down.

This. I haven't seen all that much of Eric Bana, but he's usually the best thing about the movies he's in. Which admittedly isn't saying much for Troy.

He was great in Hulk. He was superb in Troy. He was masterful in Munich. He was sublime in Chopper.

I admit I have not seen Black Hawk Down.

This. I haven't seen all that much of Eric Bana, but he's usually the best thing about the movies he's in. Which admittedly isn't saying much for Troy.

I suggest watching Munich, probably his best role to date in my opinion. Troy's a damned silly film but he's still very good in it.

Watching the robocop trilogy, yes I said trilogy, the rest don't count to me.

Anyway, first one is still awesome, the second really trys to be the first but lacks the heart and the theme, it also shows Miller loves writing hookers who rob people. Robocop 2 looks fucking stupid though.

The third one is awful, the baddie is just bad for the sake of being bad.

You can almost see what Miller was trying to do here with the sequels in making Detroit a character and how it will never die and the heart of the city is the people and a faceless company will never understand that.

To be fair, my biggest problem with him in Hulk is a casting decision. Bruce Banner should never, ever be played by a six foot three, gorgeous Australian man-mountain. I'm sorry.

I think he manages a Christopher Reeves sort of thing, where his personality is so self-conscious and inward that you don't really realise how big he is. Plus he needs to be reasonably good looking in order to get Jennifer Connolly, otherwise the biggest leap of logic in the film is no longer the gamma-poodle.

I think he manages a Christopher Reeves sort of thing, where his personality is so self-conscious and inward that you don't really realise how big he is.

Holy crap, you're right! How come he hasn't been cast as Clark Kent? I don't care that he's 41. He looks to be in his mid 30s, which is perfect for Clark.

In the game of chess you can never let your adversary see your pieces.

Brannigan's Law is like Brannigan's love, hard and fast!

Ah, she's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro. She's out of control! You win again gravity!

Kif: Sir they're headed straight for us.

Zapp: A well calculated move straight out of Sunzou's classic text The Art of War or my own masterwork Zapp Brannigan's Big Book of War. But the one thing their captain will doesn't realize and never will is that...

Kif: Sir, they've docked with us and come aboard.

Zapp: Then I've risked all and lost. Kif old man I'll be in the escape pod, if that wicker chair I like so much survives the slaughter have it sent to my P.O. Box. (They come in) Ahhh.