What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I tend not to buy DVDs of films that I haven't watched before, but I went out on a limb today and bought, amongst other films, Thank You For Smoking and Tropic Thunder based upon how highly people rate it.

I will never doubt the internet again.

Tropic Thunder is just OK, Cruise, RDJ and the opening trailers are the highlights. Thank You For Smoking on the other hand is the bomb. Aaron Eckhart is the MAN in that film, an brilliantly complex liar with incredible self confidence. Its just a really neat film all around, its so much fun to see this man manipulate and twist moral authority like its nothing.

Just saw Pineapple Express and thought it was pretty good, a nice buddy action movie that was funny whilst being grounded in reality, like everything the guys involved tried because it worked in films just failed outright. Not superb or anything but a lot of fun all the same.

I tend not to buy DVDs of films that I haven't watched before, but I went out on a limb today and bought, amongst other films, Thank You For Smoking and Tropic Thunder based upon how highly people rate it.

Aaron Eckhart is the MAN

That's pretty much all you need to say!

Just finished Reservoir Dogs last night, and I like. I like how the story unfolded through the flashbacks, the conversations, and how things ended up playing out.

My personal Tarantino pantheon falls out something like this:

Basterds (FUN, good conversations)

Reservoir (in very close second, good plot/conversations, but not as fun as Basterds)

Kill Bill Vol. 2 (love the backstory, several awesome fights and moments)

Jackie Brown (love the way the plots unfold, good crime caper, characters I honestly didn't like as much as other Tarantino movies)

Kill Bill Vol. 1 (good fight scenes, has its moments, but isn't as good as the others for me)

Pulp Fiction tonight.

If you like Dogs, you love Fiction.

Disagree.

Dogs is a tight, simple piece of work. It may be told in flashback, but it's one single story. Pulp Fiction is a pretentious, overly complex piece that should have failed, in most aspects. The fact that it isn't half the complicated mess that it has every right to be is its biggest selling point.

Because it's told in a very convoluted way, that much I got. What happens is nowhere near sequential.

I'm talking about what happened in general. This was a mess. Probably going to be murdered for this, but this is probably my least favorite Tarantino.

Yeah, it is a weird movie, and the thing with Travolta is a prime example of the non linear style of the film.

I wouldn't say it was his worst movie, I say that honour goes to Death Proof.

Probably going to be murdered for this, but this is probably my least favorite Tarantino.

Oh well, I'll add you to my list of victims. If Jerry Bruckheimer and all the Wayans die in mysterious accidents then I'd suggest you start looking over your shoulder Venneh, you're next.

Saw (500) Days Of Summer today and really liked it. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a great lead for film and Zooey Deschanel was great as well, although I didn't find her as charming as JGL's character did which undermined the film a little. Great direction and script though, the scene transitions were nice and there was some surprising humour mixed in. The whole thing is basically pragmatism vs love, and how each attitude can hurt the people involved. Left the cinema with that light happy feeling I get every time I feel like I've seen something special.

Aaron Eckhart is the MAN

You know you're in for an awesome movie when in the opening scene he somehow makes the cancer spokesperson look like a bad guy. "He wants the kid to die, to further his cause".

Aaron Eckhart is the MAN

You know you're in for an awesome movie when in the opening scene he somehow makes the cancer spokesperson look like a bad guy. "He wants the kid to die, to further his cause".

Not only that, but he wins over the kid dying of cancer! I mean come on, how can you not love that guy?

Just finished Reservoir Dogs last night, and I like. I like how the story unfolded through the flashbacks, the conversations, and how things ended up playing out.

My personal Tarantino pantheon falls out something like this:

Basterds (FUN, good conversations)

Reservoir (in very close second, good plot/conversations, but not as fun as Basterds)

Kill Bill Vol. 2 (love the backstory, several awesome fights and moments)

Jackie Brown (love the way the plots unfold, good crime caper, characters I honestly didn't like as much as other Tarantino movies)

Kill Bill Vol. 1 (good fight scenes, has its moments, but isn't as good as the others for me)

Pulp Fiction tonight.

Just heard an interview with Tarrantino and he was asked if you met someone who hadn't seen any of your movies, which would you give them first for them to understand what you're about. His answer was Reservoir Dogs. Said he didn't even have to pretend to think about it.

Was surfing Youtube and listened to some of the Requiem for a Dream soundtrack as played by the Kronos Quartet. I'm never going to watch that film again but even just the sound of the score means that I won't even be tempted by drugs for another couple of years (the original viewing was good for the last five).