What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

Right but its reinforcing the stereotype of nerds. Its just not a socially diverse show, its like they never got beyond 80's high school stereotypes. Comic books and science? Why liking those things automatically equals you being like this! Its insulting, I know people with chemistry degrees and people who read comics, and oddly enough neither group are close to being the most socially maladjusted people I know. The premise irks me.

But it's true. There are totally people like that.

If you want a show about "real" geeks, watch How I Met Your Mother; they have geek characters that are socially-balanced.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Right but its reinforcing the stereotype of nerds. Its just not a socially diverse show, its like they never got beyond 80's high school stereotypes. Comic books and science? Why liking those things automatically equals you being like this! Its insulting, I know people with chemistry degrees and people who read comics, and oddly enough neither group are close to being the most socially maladjusted people I know. The premise irks me.

Sitcoms are exaggerations and caricatures. You can't get upset just because it's your group that's getting stereotyped.

IMO, being a geek and liking Big Bang Theory is tantamount to being black and liking a minstrel show. It's fucking terrible and portrays anyone who's ever picked up a comic book as a socially retarded moron.

No it doesn't. This is a show about people who are way past geeks. They are social retards not because they like comic books, but because they are caricatures of ultra nerd scientists.

This.

Fuck that show. It is the easiest comedy possible;take a marginalized pre-mocked subculture and exploit it. It's offensive.

Fuck that show. It is the easiest comedy possible;take a marginalized pre-mocked subculture and exploit it. It's offensive.

Nah; it's got genuinely well-written geek jokes. A lot of the references in there are extremely clever things that only geeks like ourselves would get.

It doesn't laugh at nerds; it says "hey, we're part of it, too," and laughs with them.

That's what it wants you to think.

Honestly, geeks are marginalized enough to think a mediocre Green Lantern joke is hilarious because we undeerstand it but really it's cheap comedy that we'll laugh at because we're geeks and non-geeks will laugh at BECAUSE WE'RE GEEKS.

It's cheap, it's so far from smart that they have you convinced it's smart because you recognize its references and it is cookie cutter in delivery.

Midway through the third season of The Sopranos. Some thoughts:

It's sad that Nancy Marchand died, but I'm glad Livia Soprano is gone from the show. I absolutely hated the character. And not in the way they wanted us to, but in an "Ugh! Where's the fast forward button?" kind of way. Same goes for Janice Soprano.

I'm tired of each season featuring an over-the-top foil for Tony, with each one wanting him dead. In the first it was his mother, then it became Richie Aprile, and now it's Ralph Cifaretto.

Though I like what they're doing with Meadow in this season, I wish they'd explore her personal double standard. While she hates what her father does and the reputation her name brings, she isn't above taking advantage of the money / lifestyle his job afford her. She likes the clothes, asks for a car, and is able to go to school because of what he does, but she'll also take any opportunity to bash Tony for what he does.

Christopher is and has always been my favorite character. In all honesty, I wish the show was about him - a young wannabe who moves up through the ranks of the mafia - but Michael Imperioli does a great job making each scene his own, so it works out.

It is a sitcom. What sitcom is subtle in their jokes? I can't believe you guys are so offended by a tv show. Shouldn't you guys be up in arms over the comic book guy from The Simpsons since he is portrayed as an even more stereotypical comic book nerd?

I would be offended if the show was nothing but comic book guys. The Simpsons has a well rounded cast so the blatant stereotypes like Sea Captain and the Bumblebee Man don't make any big impact, they are disposable characters.

I'm less offended by the portrayal, more by the sheer laziness of the concept. Its a laugh at rather than a laugh with.

Midway through the third season of The Sopranos. Some thoughts:

It's sad that Nancy Marchand died, but I'm glad Livia Soprano is gone from the show. I absolutely hated the character. And not in the way they wanted us to, but in an "Ugh! Where's the fast forward button?" kind of way. Same goes for Janice Soprano.

I LOVE THIS SHOW and while I didn't care for Livia too much, I saw how she was necessary in the larger shape of things. I thought the same way about Janice, she bugged the shit out of me. But I kind of think you're supposed to hate the characters, you're really supposed to hate them and be annoyed with them, as much as Tony is, to the point you really don't want to see them...like ever. I really saw that on rewatches, Janice is really just fucking tremendous.

I'm tired of each season featuring an over-the-top foil for Tony, with each one wanting him dead. In the first it was his mother, then it became Richie Aprile, and now it's Ralph Cifaretto.

Ha! Goodness, I can't wait to hear your thoughts on later seasons. All I have to say is that for every great hero you need a great antagonist.

Though I like what they're doing with Meadow in this season, I wish they'd explore her personal double standard. While she hates what her father does and the reputation her name brings, she isn't above taking advantage of the money / lifestyle his job afford her. She likes the clothes, asks for a car, and is able to go to school because of what he does, but she'll also take any opportunity to bash Tony for what he does.

Meadow really becomes awesome as it goes along as well as AJ.

Christopher is and has always been my favorite character. In all honesty, I wish the show was about him - a young wannabe who moves up through the ranks of the mafia - but Michael Imperioli does a great job making each scene his own, so it works out.

I love Christopher, his relationship with Tony really and his arc is one of the most integral to the series.

Like I said I can't wait to hear your thoughts on later seasons.

I LOVE THIS SHOW and while I didn't care for Livia too much, I saw how she was necessary in the larger shape of things. I thought the same way about Janice, she bugged the shit out of me. But I kind of think you're supposed to hate the characters, you're really supposed to hate them and be annoyed with them, as much as Tony is, to the point you really don't want to see them...like ever. I really saw that on rewatches, Janice is really just fucking tremendous.

My problem with both Livia and Janice is that they're so transparent. They're obviously conniving bitches, played with no subtlety at all. Of all the episodes she appeared in, the only time I ever saw any subtlety in Livia was when she laughed at Tony after he fell down the stairs. And she only got away with it because she was fake crying at the time.

Ha! Goodness, I can't wait to hear your thoughts on later seasons. All I have to say is that for every great hero you need a great antagonist.

I'm fine with Tony having an enemy, but I want one that lasts a few seasons. So far it's been someone new each year.

I love Christopher, his relationship with Tony really and his arc is one of the most integral to the series.

Like I said I can't wait to hear your thoughts on later seasons.

Sadly, I know what happens to Christopher, but I don't know why, so I'm excited to see the build towards that.

Rec.

OK, mostly I just felt like calling the guy holding the camera a tosser, but I suppose in horror its a good thing because there's a lot of genuine suspense involved. I mean, this is what happens when you don't have a zombie/rage-infected critter plan. It was a tad gimmicky, they play around a lot with what you can and cannot see for a lot of the scares, using focus and lighting issues as much as anything. Its definitely raw and frightening. There are plenty of genuine scares that would cause some havoc in a crowded cinema.

I saw 500 Days of Summer last night. I loved it. I don't know, something about it felt so honest. I'm glad I saw it.

I really liked it too. I mean, its a really commercial film with an indy sensibility but the lead performance of Joseph Gordon-Levitt really elevates the whole thing. The way the world reflects how he feels is genius, from the dance number to the later rubbing clean of the paper. Probably not the best film of the year but certainly the most interesting.

'Up': Pixar is the most consistent studio putting out films today. When your worst effort is 'Cars', which was solid, if a little boring, you're doing pretty damn nicely. It blows my mind how far CGI has come since Toy Story, because this is a film that is just gorgeous to look at. I watched this at a campus showing, here, and that means a bunch of jaded early 20 somethings such as myself, and there was not a dry eye in the damn house after the first ten minutes, myself included. This movie masterfully pulls at the heartstrings and has amazing things to say about death, love and life. Ed Asner does a nice job as the old man, Carl Fredrickson. The actual plot gets a little weak,

what with the Dogs and Charles Muntz being nuts as hell,

but there's more than enough genuine tenderness to make up for it. The Doug character is quite funny, and very accurate as to what I'd imagine a talking dog to sound like. "I was hiding under your porch, because I love you." Probably not the best Pixar film, but definitely one of the most touching.

Also:

I can't believe the pulled off a miscarriage in a fucking Pixar Movie!

I ended up watching Up twice when it came out (once with my girlfriend and then again with a few other friends) and I think I actually enjoyed it more on the second viewing. I'm not sure why, but I think I just came in with certain expectations the first time I watched it (a few of which weren't met) whereas the second time I think I just took it for what it was.

I still think that fifteen minute introduction was the best part of the movie. The fact that they constructed a believable relationship, almost without words, was amazing to me. I’m not going to lie either, my eyes welled up both times.

I thought Doug was fantastic too. The attention to detail in the way he was animated was amazing. That’s not to say the other characters were badly animated, but Doug was on a whole other level.