What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brick- Great indy teen-noir, and a proper noir at that. Low camp, high stakes but retaining enough self awareness to know when it can poke fun at itself. Absolutly made Joseph Gordon-Levitt a worthy leading man in my eyes, something he later proved in (500) Days of Summer. Great dialogue and cinematography too. Some of the associate casting is wobbly but nothing unacceptable. Highly recommend.

I watched the newest episodes of the Simpsons and Family Guy.

The Simpsons had one or two good jokes about the comic industry, and the films, but then, like usual it went off a cliff.

Family Guy was a lot more fun and funnier suprisingly, it was the best episode in a while as it was all about Stewie and Brian playing in the multiverse of worlds.

Finally watched Wonder Woman last night, easily the best of the DCA DVD series that I've seen, the only one I think I might like more is Return of the Joker (but it's been so long since I've seen it). It's the best writing, pacing, and an overall a fantastic origin story for Wonder Woman.

Also watched, American Psycho and The United States of Leland this past weekend.

Guest DCAUFan1051

just got my Superman The Ultimate Collection DVD Set from the UPS guy.

Watching Superman The movie now and I know the MPAA didn't have PG-13 back then but shouldn't this film be Rated R? because when lil kal-el comes up outta the ship... for about 2 seconds we see "lil kal-el" kinda like lil batman lol Still I haven't seen the Superman films in a very long time glad I have this 14 Disc Set.

Watching Superman The movie now and I know the MPAA didn't have PG-13 back then but shouldn't this film be Rated R? because when lil kal-el comes up outta the ship... for about 2 seconds we see "lil kal-el" kinda like lil batman lol Still I haven't seen the Superman films in a very long time glad I have this 14 Disc Set.

Stuff like that doesn't matter because he's practically a toddler and it's not of an explicitly sexual nature. You can do all sorts of things with nudity as long as it's in the right context.

Just got back from my campus' showing of Up.

Uhm, wow, Pixar. You just made me cry like a bitch for at least forty-five minutes. And I think you just wrote one of the darkest stories you've ever written. And you made it kid-friendly.

SQUIRREL!

...Yeah. Pixar, you are made of fucking awesome for Up. Getting it on DVD at some point.

Watched a couple of really horrible 'horror' movies: CABIN FEVER and THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE: THE NEXT GENERATION. Both were so pitiful that I have a hard time believing that these movies are taken serious. BEHIND THE MASK was a really good movie, tho. If more horror movies were this well acted and intelligent I'd stop giving the genre such a hard time.

Watched a couple of really horrible 'horror' movies: CABIN FEVER and THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE: THE NEXT GENERATION. Both were so pitiful that I have a hard time believing that these movies are taken serious. BEHIND THE MASK was a really good movie, tho. If more horror movies were this well acted and intelligent I'd stop giving the genre such a hard time.

See Trick r Treat. Just saw it tonight.

:yes:

Cabin Fever is one thing (I kind of like it for camp value) but TCM:TNG is getting into "worst movie ever" territory. So bad Renee Zellweger and Matthew McConaughey seem to pretend it doesn't exist.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars series one. I'll admit that I miss the samurai jack stylings of the animated shorts but these 22 minute action packed shows are just fine as a follow up. The animation is clean, fluid and uncluttered, and the plots such are they are make for fun viewing. Some of the design work that went into this is really impressive, obviously the product of hardcore fans building on the new trilogy to create a stylistic bridge to the original films.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars series one. I'll admit that I miss the samurai jack stylings of the animated shorts but these 22 minute action packed shows are just fine as a follow up. The animation is clean, fluid and uncluttered, and the plots such are they are make for fun viewing. Some of the design work that went into this is really impressive, obviously the product of hardcore fans building on the new trilogy to create a stylistic bridge to the original films.

I agree. It seems like the show is getting better and better as it goes on.

I agree. It seems like the show is getting better and better as it goes on.

I take it all back! Jar Jar! Jar Jar alert! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!

Oh god, he's just shown up again! DIE ALREADY YOU GUNGAN BASTARD! Seriously, rascist stereotypes in Star Wars are really startimg to annoy me. The Weequays as middle eastern pirates, Nute Gunray, the evil Japanese alien, Jar Jar as an one man amphibious minstral show. Seriously, Jar Jar is worse than ever here. "Yousa jedi massa real good to us fiel' gungans".

Edit: Oh god, now there are immigrant space Irish, who are conveniently leprechaun-sized.

Also, you know what? If I was a clone trooper I'd be first in line to follow Order 66. Most of the Jedi don't seem to give a damn about the many many clones who die in this series, despite many of them getting good face time and becoming distinct characters.

Seriously, rascist stereotypes in Star Wars are really startimg to annoy me.

Hey now, to be fair, that's not always true. People accuse Jar Jar of being a black stereotype, but what about Lando Calrissian or Captain Panaka?

From what I understand, GL likes to randomly distribute different real-world accents to different alien races. (French/Romanian for Twi'lek, British for characters from Coruscant & the core worlds, Irish for pacifist space lemurs, etc.)

I don't think there's actually any malicious intent there. (though the Irish lemurs were pretty annoying)

I think the thing about Jedi is that they have much the same philosophy as the clones: we do our job, and if we die, then so be it. (Anakin's a bit of an exception to that because he's an emotionally-clingy weirdo) The only reason that Jedi are put on a higher pedestal than clones is because they are literally more important to the war effort as weapons and leaders.

On the other hand, however, let's not forget about Yoda's speech to the clones in the first episode, where he actually told them that they were valuable individuals, and not mere cannon fodder.

My housemate just bought the entire boxset of the X-Files for £70 and we've sat down & watched the first 3 episodes. Thus far, I'm enjoying it, having never seen more than one episode before and completely forgetting the events of the movie (which I saw for a friend's birthday).

Got a bunch of discount DVDs from a Halloween sale at work. With my employee discount, they were only about $3 each.

Phantasm

Halloween 1-3

Shaun of the Dead

Hellraiser 20th Anniversary (Though I can't find Hellbound anywhere)

Dawn of the Dead

Jacob's Ladder

Silent Hill

About to watch Phantasm for the first time.