What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watched all of Spaced this morning. This might possibly be the most brilliant thing I've seen in a while. Also, no one should ever leave me alone in a room with Simon Pegg, otherwise I'm not responsible for the things I would offer to do.

I was going to buy the box set for Spaced last weekend, but there were no copies left at the store. I have so many unwatched DVDs, but all I really want to watch is something lighthearted and fun.

Guest DCAUFan1051

Watching the Dark Knight tonight, haven't watched it in a while. The more I watch it, the more I like Aaron Eckhardt's performance than anyone else in the film.

yeah he was awesome in it... did you see the trailer for his new movie? I can't think of the title at the moment, but it looks pretty good.

Guest DCAUFan1051

I've been watching the Superman Ultimate Edition DVD set I got last week in the mail. Last night I finished the Lester Cut Of Superman II. Are there any major plot changes between the Lester/Donner Cuts? I don't want to have to watch the same film twice. If it is the exact same thing.

So my saturday morning choices are Superman II (Donner Cut) or move onto Superman III..... I can't believe today marks the 5 year anniversary of Christopher Reeve dying :cry:

Just finished watching all of Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe, which is a fantastically cynical programme about television itself. Also just finished Adventures of Batman & Robin, with New Adventures lined up next. Just saw Mystery of the Batwoman, too, but I thought it was pretty dire. Also, the Hulk vs. DVD, which I was pleasantly suprised with, and I particularly liked the vs. Wolverine one.

I've been watching the Superman Ultimate Edition DVD set I got last week in the mail. Last night I finished the Lester Cut Of Superman II. Are there any major plot changes between the Lester/Donner Cuts? I don't want to have to watch the same film twice. If it is the exact same thing.

There's no changes you would go out of your way to see the two films for, but the Donner cut is a better film overall.

Luke, if you can, watch Gameswipe, it's only one episode but it is fucking awesome.

So my saturday morning choices are Superman II (Donner Cut) or move onto Superman III..... I can't believe today marks the 5 year anniversary of Christopher Reeve dying :cry:

Here's a list of the changes.

Basically, the biggest plot-wise changes are that Jor-El appears to Clark instead of Lara, and the ending has the same turn-time-backwards ending as Superman 1 (originally, that was supposed to be Superman II's ending, but the producers basically ripped it from Superman II and put it in Superman 1 instead.)

Guest DCAUFan1051

yeah I'm noticing the changes and not really that thrilled with them. I think I like the original theatrical cut better... but that's just me. Thanks for the help guys

Aladdin. I'm going back through Disney's golden period before they had to rely on Pixar to make all their good movies. Aladdin is a lot of fun all around but animation-wise no where near The Lion King. Still a great movie though, probably better even than I remembered as a kid.

Aladdin is my all time favourite Disney pick, for some reason I've always preferred it over Lion King. So many great lines, especially from Iago the Parrot, who was obviously in it for the older audience. Which is weird, when you consider Robin Williams is in it, that another character provides more of the adult humour.

Never actually seen Beauty and the Beast but its on my rental list. Its actually quite odd to me looking back that this was seen as Disney's golden period. Its really just four good to great films from 1989 to 1994 (Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King). I mean, Pixar has released 10 good films in 15 years, and really only two of those I'd say were merely good (Cars and A Bugs Life), the rest were superb in one way or another.

edit: just found a wiki article that claims that the Disney Renaissance was from Little Mermaid to Hercules, covering a full 5 years and five further films. I call BS, surely the consensus is that Pocahontas pretty much wiped out the capital they had built with the previous 5 years. I mean, its got 56% on Rotten Tomatoes compared to the 100% scores of both Aladdin and TLK, and its box office was less than its three predecessors and well under half what TLK made.

edit: just found a wiki article that claims that the Disney Renaissance was from Little Mermaid to Hercules, covering a full 5 years and five further films. I call BS, surely the consensus is that Pocahontas pretty much wiped out the capital they had built with the previous 5 years. I mean, its got 56% on Rotten Tomatoes compared to the 100% scores of both Aladdin and TLK, and its box office was less than its three predecessors and well under half what TLK made.

Actually, it goes all the way to 1999, covering a full ten years. It had a lot of ups and downs, but yeah, the Renaissance covers the time period when Disney was at least trying to make good animated films.

Also, the RottenTomatoes scores for films that well-known from that far back tend to swing wildly in one direction or another, since some of those reviews are taken from recent DVD reviews that are heavily biased by the "general consensus."

Pocahontas wasn't that bad; it was just so historically inaccurate and preachy that it garnered a lot of bad press. For my money, Hercules was WAY worse than Pocahontas.

Yeah, check out Beauty and the Beast sometime soon; it's the only animated film to ever be nominated for best picture. Probably one of my favorite films.

Actually, it goes all the way to 1999, covering a full ten years. It had a lot of ups and downs, but yeah, the Renaissance covers the time period when Disney was at least trying to make good animated films.

Also, the RottenTomatoes scores for films that well-known from that far back tend to swing wildly in one direction or another, since some of those reviews are taken from recent DVD reviews that are heavily biased by the "general consensus."

Pocahontas wasn't that bad; it was just so historically inaccurate and preachy that it garnered a lot of bad press. For my money, Hercules was WAY worse than Pocahontas.

Yeah, check out Beauty and the Beast sometime soon; it's the only animated film to ever be nominated for best picture. Probably one of my favorite films.

I just don't think you can call them part of the renaissance when those 5 films that followed were all part of a big downswing in the success of Dinsey's animated feature department. Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and Lion king are all classics, and part of a period where Disney had a real must see quality, and I think that almost everyone has seen at least one or two of those. Pocahontas, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan and Tarzan were all attempting to recapture that to some degree but they never did. They might not be bad films, but then I've never seen them because I've never heard anyone say they were anything close to those earlier efforts. Everyone was going to see Pixar films or Shrek instead.

I didn't mind the animated films that came out in the late 90s, but they definitely didn't live up to the films that came before them. I think they actually came back a bit with The Emperor's New Groove and Lilo and Stitch.

I still have high hopes for The Princess and the Frog.

It looks ok, but sassy black princess isn't going to overcome 70 years of racial stereotyping on the part of Disney. At least they are trying in their own misguided way.

I didn't mind the animated films that came out in the late 90s, but they definitely didn't live up to the films that came before them. I think they actually came back a bit with The Emperor's New Groove and Lilo and Stitch.

I still have high hopes for The Princess and the Frog.

What he said.

In no way can you claim that the renaissance lasted 10 years. I actually liked Pocahontas and Hercules just fine, but they weren't nearly as good as their predecessors and the following films were terrible, like that one where Joaquim Phoenix becomes a bear. Also, post Lion King, the straight to DVD sequels began and, with the exception of the Return of Jafar, all of them were terrible.

I can't believe there's all this talk about Disney in the late 80's/early 90's and not once has somebody mentioned the coolest Disney movie of them all: Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Jeez I need this movie on DVD soon, because my VHS copy has been put through the ringer, but it also makes it feel old school.