What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Clone War is really starting to piss me off with its cavalier approach to war and the massive loss of life it entails. What part of the Jedi code OK'd using flamethrowers on living opponants? I don't care if they are crazy insect people, they're still sentient life. I swear, most Jedi tactics are straight out of Zapp Brannigans Big Book of War, they just seem to want to send wave after wave of their own troops until the killbots reach their kill quota and shut down.

That's just how war actually works. There's no way to completely avoid losses, and sheer numbers are often the way that wars are won. Besides, the vast majority of the Jedi's opponents are lifeless droids. And what's wrong with using a flamethrower as opposed to a lightsaber or blaster bolt? The fact that it hurts the enemy a bit longer before they die anyway?

And Geonosians aren't entirely sentient; they're an insect hive that has physical class distinctions. The winged warrior class that you see fighting during the clone wars only barely have enough intelligence to defend their hive; they're barely what you'd call "sentient." And hey, sentient or not, they were slaughtering the clones. Flamethrowers are completely justified (and, I might add, awesome).

I mean, Anakin and Ahsoka are arguing over their kill-counts whilst the heaped bodies of their own troops are being removed from the background of that very scene. The Jedi are monsters, and when the revolution came I'm glad that they were first against the wall.

Did you expect real grief and loss from a show aimed at twelve-year-olds? Besides, they are predominantly fighting against droids. Keeping a kill-count isn't exactly wrong in that sense. At the very least, it keeps the coldness of war from seeping in.

And, above all, it's STAR WARS.

Seriously, STAR WARS. Where people fight each other using giant glow-sticks and ride in massive metal elephants to blow up ray-shield generators. It's a fantasy franchise, not a hyperrealistic one.

If ever there was an example of a great film ruined by bad dialogue then Revenge of the Sith is it. "I saw a tape of him...killing younglings", I mean what kind of way is that to break the news? Might as well be "I saw a tape of him...drowning kittens" "No! I don't believe you!" "It's true Padme, he was drowning kittens and puppies and baby birds and laughing evilly the whole time! And he was listening to Rick Astley! How much more proof do you need that he's evil? Also, I saw him...steal Senator Bombatok's insulin, and throw out the window. And he...talked loudly about Dex's weight issues, I mean you know that's a gladular thing. I'm sorry but Anakin has gone evil. He held up a customer service line in ASDA arguing over an expired coupon for almost an hour. He keyed an entire row of speeders. He TP'd the Jedi Temple! He deliberately hummed a tune incessantly and then wouldn't remind me what TV show its the theme too, its been stuck in my head for days! He kicked a Panda in the nuts! He put chewing gum on a seat on the bus! He bought every single copy of Batman and Robin on the planet, wrapped them up and gave them to the orphanages as christmas presents. I mean, think of the disappointment! He invented a virus for the apple mac! He wanted Jar-Jar to be your kid's godfather! He licked the keypad of your mobile phone! He broke wind loudly in a crowded elevator! He talks incessantly about how Dharma and Greg is the finest sitcom ever made! He thinks Fox News is genuinely Fair and Balanced! He's evil! Pure Fried Black Hat tie-a-baby-giraffe-to-the-railway-tracks bad!"

If ever there was an example of a great film ruined by bad dialogue then Revenge of the Sith is it. "I saw a tape of him...killing younglings", I mean what kind of way is that to break the news? Might as well be "I saw a tape of him...drowning kittens" "No! I don't believe you!" "It's true Padme, he was drowning kittens and puppies and baby birds and laughing evilly the whole time! And he was listening to Rick Astley! How much more proof do you need that he's evil? Also, I saw him...steal Senator Bombatok's insulin, and throw out the window. And he...talked loudly about Dex's weight issues, I mean you know that's a gladular thing. I'm sorry but Anakin has gone evil. He held up a customer service line in ASDA arguing over an expired coupon for almost an hour. He keyed an entire row of speeders. He TP'd the Jedi Temple! He deliberately hummed a tune incessantly and then wouldn't remind me what TV show its the theme too, its been stuck in my head for days! He kicked a Panda in the nuts! He put chewing gum on a seat on the bus! He bought every single copy of Batman and Robin on the planet, wrapped them up and gave them to the orphanages as christmas presents. I mean, think of the disappointment! He invented a virus for the apple mac! He wanted Jar-Jar to be your kid's godfather! He licked the keypad of your mobile phone! He broke wind loudly in a crowded elevator! He talks incessantly about how Dharma and Greg is the finest sitcom ever made! He thinks Fox News is genuinely Fair and Balanced! He's evil! Pure Fried Black Hat tie-a-baby-giraffe-to-the-railway-tracks bad!"

:bowdown:

If ever there was an example of a great film ruined by bad dialogue then Revenge of the Sith is it. "I saw a tape of him...killing younglings"

Eh. I think it worked. Obi-Wan's a generally trustworthy guy (until A New Hope, where every other line is a lie).

I think a worse line was Mace Windu's: "I sense a plot to destroy the Jedi."

Really? You sense a plot to destroy the Jedi? Is that one of your special powers? Sensing when people are thinking about you? Are Yoda's ears turning red?

Guest DCAUFan1051

Looney Toons Marathon on Cartoon Network. Happiness.

oh yeah!

if you really want the truth looney tunes experience get the Golden Collection DVDs. Very cool special features on there.

Guest DCAUFan1051

I have a couple of the volumes from when I've seen copies in Half-Priced books or any of the local used places. The only one I bought new was the one with the WW2 material on it.

yeah I like the more classic ones like the duck season rabbit season toons. I think Golden Collection Volumes 1-5 are the best. I was never into the Volume 6 cartoons. Even though I have all 6 sets.

Guest DCAUFan1051

All I wanted today was Duck Amuck. The Cartoon Network programming gods saw fit to answer that. I am happy.

Duck Amuck is AWESOME

that cartoon always has me laughing every time.

Hellbound: Hellraiser II - I may actually like this more than the original. Probably because it's such a more visual film. Also, this being the last of the series with "good" cenobites is depressing. The moment where Pinhead decides to protect Kirsty was epic.

Hellbound: Hellraiser II - I may actually like this more than the original. Probably because it's such a more visual film. Also, this being the last of the series with "good" cenobites is depressing. The moment where Pinhead decides to protect Kirsty was epic.

For the longest time, this was actually the only film I had seen in the series. It helped that it reuses all that footage from the first movie.

Life. This week they are looking at insects, and its the most astounding natural filming I've EVER seen. They create this great little narratives punctuated by these high-def pictures that really take you inside the insects world, this is the best of the series so far.

For you people in the US who may not know, this is a follow up to Planet Earth and the like, and so far as a series its even better.

The Kenneth Branagh Hamlet. Wow, this the a stocked cast, and a wonderfully realised larger world. I really like these timeless updates of Shakespeare, Richard III was the same, although I think this one has the edge. Probably due to BRIAN BLESSED (that is how his name is written).

I've read Hamlet before but honestly never seen it played, so I'm getting a lot more from it this time. The post-modernist play stuff was amazing.

My big problem with that movie is the random cameos. Robin Williams, Jack Lemmon, Gerard Depardieu, Billy Crystal, Charlton Heston, Rosemary Harris, it just gets distracting. Great film, though.

Judi Dench is in it for 5 seconds too. I'm fine with Heston and Crystal, they add some light to roles that should demand your attention, but the rest are distracting, you're right.

I mean, you want Heston for that monologue alone, that one has to be great and thanks to him it is.

My son and I went to see 2012 last week and we both loved it. I'm a disaster movie junky and Roland Emmerich made what has to be the most over the top end of the world epic I have yet to see. Yes, it is silly and stupid and the "drama" has all the depth of a dried pond, but it delivered on the spectacle and had me walk out with a big grin smeared over my face. I'm laughing as I type this, thinking back on it. Definitely watching that sucker again.