What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

Ed Wood. Didn't blow me away or anything, but I found it pretty entertaining.

Easily my favorite Tim Burton film.

Oldboy- Awesome film in many respects, but I really wish I could un-watch the last 20 minutes, its totally messed up.

That ending ruins what could have been a really excellent revenge film. It's fucking stupid is what it is.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oldboy- Awesome film in many respects, but I really wish I could un-watch the last 20 minutes, its totally messed up.

That ending ruins what could have been a really excellent revenge film. It's fucking stupid is what it is.

It does make a twisted sense, but its massively unsatisfying because of the final direction.

It does make a twisted sense, but its massively unsatisfying because of the final direction.

If by unsatisfying you mean fucking disturbing and the definition of wrong.

On the genre front: I enjoyed Shutter Island, Kick-Ass & Mother very much. Non genre: La Mission was excellent and Oceans was rather nice. The Losers should have put the Cannon Films logo at the beginning, as it was indistinguishable from the low-rent drive-in dreck it was releasing in the 1980s.

Der müde Tod (Weary Death) - A 1921 silent film by Fritz Lang. The basic premise is that a woman's fiance' is taken by Death as it was his time to pass on. She begs Death to return him to life and Death tells her that if she can save at least one of three lives that are about to end, he will do so. This leads to three stories within the story (one set in Persia, one set in Italy, and one set in China) as she tries to complete the task and return her fiance' to the land of the living. This is easily one of the best silent films I've seen. I find early films with a romance slant tough to get through at times as the romances aren't always properly built up. This film kept me engaged all the way through despite that. For 1921, the special effects are fantastic, from the transparent ghosts to the miniature army. The actor who plays Death not only looks the part, but has the perfect attitude for it. The different locations for the stories within the story allow for a variety of sets, although the cultures represented in the stories aren't always politically correct (especially the story set in China, that made me wince a little). Overall though, it's a fantastic silent film and if Lang's early work is this good, I can't wait to get to his later films.

Buffy season 4: I preferred the previous seasons. Maybe it was something about adjusting to the whole college thing. And the fact that Angel wasn't there. But it's still quality television.

Yeah, I felt that way exactly. Season 4 gets weirder and weirder as it goes along, actually. I wasn't too happy with the overall story, but it was well-written enough that it was still entertaining as it happened.

Season 4 is overall weaker but still has some of the best individual episodes. Hush, Something Blue, Superstar, the episode The Inititive ("maybe we can wait five minutes and try again"), the Oz stuff, the Faith stuff and anything Spike does, season 4 has a lot of upsides.

Totally agree with this. Even though Season 4 is weaker than Season 3, and the second half of season 2, it has ALOT of good stuff. While the BIG BAD and overarching season plot is kind of weak, there's a ton of great character developments. Faith's arc is one of the best and most heartwrenching of the Buffy-verse and a lot of that has to do with the few episodes she's in in Season 4 (mainly the two-parter) and Angel season 1 at around the same time. Also Spike really does shine in this season.

See, I knew what was coming at the end, but I just fail at scary movies, period, cause I still ended up jumping and screaming. :P

That's the type of movie that really needs the big crowd of people. It doesn't strike me as a film that will be as half as good watching it at home.

Maybe, Chadzilla, but that could be a good thing, no?

Oh, it could (and should) be a very good thing. (I do love me some Cannon Group goodness, at times: Lifeforce, Death Wish III, Invasion U.S.A. et al) But in the case of The Losers, no. I just found the movie bland and lifeless, especially after having seen Kick-Ass the week before. Kick-Ass is no classic of cinema, but the movie had energy to it that made it a hoot to watch. Even my fiance loved Kick-Ass, and that is saying something.

Meshes of the Afternoon - One of my favourite films ever, despite being only 14 minutes long. This was David Lynch before David Lynch was born. Manages to be beautiful, frightening, and thought-provoking all at once.

Youtube it now if you've never seen it.

Caught three films and forgot to mention them:

Star Trek: (2009) Pretty, but a bit of a snoozer. Quinto was pretty good, though.

Where the Wild Things Are: Great in five minute chunks, but fell apart as a whole piece.

Up In The Air: Awesome. Wonderful film. Reitman has yet to disappoint me. Clooney was awesome, too.

The channel 4 election special. total cluster of a show with a lot of bad jokes and farcically bad political commentary, saved by a tremendous amount of inadvertent humour. Charlie Brooker just sitting the background playing with his swivel chair for ten minutes as the discussion table got into swing in the foreground was immense.

Public Enemies- the filmmaking style is all wrong, Mann's made it so you can never suspend you're disbelief and engage the film. Aside from that, everyone is great. Plus its got Carey Mulligan and Emilie De Ravin in blink or you'll miss them roles.

Hey, its Don Frye!