What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm only halfway through Angel season 5, but there are two things I have to say so far.

First of all, Angel is the most adorable puppet I have ever seen, hands down.

Secondly,

Cordy! I can't believe she's dead. She was so amazingly awesome and she and Angel were in love and all these wonderful things could've happened and this is a terribly constructed sentence and I'm so upset! Even seeing Angel as a puppet cannot shake my sadness. I thought she would at least come in for a few episodes before she left/more likely died (because I already knew only Angel and Lindsey would be in both the first episode and the finale, which of course meant Cordy was out). Dammit, Angel needs Cordy. D=

Angel: Why would you end like that? Why? AHH! That is not a resolution AT ALL! I need closure, dammit!

I am very frustrated. The Buffy finale was not nearly so unsatisfying.

But on a happier note, I am now done with both Buffy and Angel, which means that I can finally read their Wikipedia pages without fear of spoilers. =P It's like a whole new world has opened up for me online. Haha. =)

I always figured that the Angel finale made sense in a backwards kind of way:

"Team Angel" was basically defined by their endless fight in LA. Ending the series in their biggest fight yet made sense.

But it definitely was weird that they introduced a lot of character beats that never got resolution. (Like Illyria)

Metropolis (1927) - I wanted to see this for the first time (almost) complete and on the big screen, but I wasn't able to make the showing in Baltimore, so I watched the next best version on DVD. I'd say it lived up pretty well to the hype surrounding it. The sets were great, the machinery and Rotwang's laboratory especially. The performances were solid for the most part. Gustav Fröhlich did a good job of showing Freder's transformation from a naive, privileged youth to a strong and more educated man. Brigitte Helm's performance was a little over the top at times, but it really helped to sell Maria and the robot Maria as separate characters. My favorite performance by far was Rudolf Klein-Rogge as the mad scientist Rotwang. I'd already seen him in the first part of Dr. Mabuse, The Gambler and thought he made a great villain, but he was just fantastic in this. When he needed to be crazy, he was crazy and when he needed to show the serious side to the character, he could bring that intensity. Such a great character. The special effects were very effective for a silent film, particularly the city itself and the transformation of the Maschinenmensch. The hand and clock motifs add an extra level of thought to the story. The ideas in the story itself were a little romantic, but the narrative was still engaging. Over 70 years later, this is still an excellent film and I can't wait for the complete version to come out in November.

Serenity - I haven't seen Firefly and wanted to see if this held up for someone unfamiliar with the tv series. The only Whedon projects I've seen were a few episodes of Buffy and Dr. Horrible, and I have to say that I liked this quite a bit. It did a good job of introducing the world, the characters were interesting, and the emotional moments were effective. It also sold me on Whedon as the director of the Avengers film. Even without seeing the series, I would say it's a solid sci-fi film.

The Golden Voyage of Sinbad - This was a fun little adventure-fantasy film, with the highlights being Ray Harryhausen stop motion creatures and a pre-Doctor Who performance by Tom Baker.

Last night I finished season 5 of Bones. Looks like I've exhausted my supply of David Boreanaz until season 6 starts up in September. =P I wonder how the season premiere is going to play out, given how the last episode ended...

Now I really need to catch up on the last few episodes of How I Met Your Mother...I hear Ted goes blond. That should be somewhat amusing. =)