What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

Resident Evil Marathon. Yeah, I'm really bored.

Resident Evil- Starts out really nicely, but about halfway through the slick visuals and attention to detail descends into sloppy editing, unlinked action scenes and crappy CGI.

Resident Evil II- Apocalypse- This is where it just descents into Video Game Movie territory, shit just happens because a 13 year old boy thinks it would be cool. No real fear or scares, its just a lot of shitty action, shitty dialogue and god awful acting. Jill Valentine in particular is a walking action chick stereotype, and completely shittily acted. At least Milla's a good performer, she can show fear and intensity. Shame she's also gone the wire-fu cgi action route.

I just don't give a shit about ninja superheroes taking on Zombies. It's not remotely scary, it barely belongs to the horror genre. It's hilarious especially since the games revitalised interest in zombies in the mainstream. Shaun of the Dead, for example, was heavily influenced by Resident Evil in its conception.

Resident Evil Extinction. Better so far. Less of the superhero shit, more of the consequences of a zombie apocalypse. Still plagued with broad character BS though.

edit: forget that she's fucking Jean Grey or something.

Oh, and how do powers grow at a geometric rate? In the last two movies they keep saying that Milla's powers are growing at a geometric rate, do they not know what that means? Geometrics is the measurement of variable physical distances and shapes using mathematics. Unless she is physically increasing in size or duplicating herself so that her and her clones all tessellate, that word can't possibly apply. Did no-one call them on this bullshit?

Still, the film does a good job with foreshadowing, and unlike the second one feels like it has something approaching a budget.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sky High- Because I will watch anything on iplayer when I'm bored. Scary little microcosm of a caste-based superhero society. Big heroes look down on their lesser powered brethren and the system divides new students into heroes and sidekicks. Really uncomfortable moment as a young black kid offers to give up his seat at the front of the bus to our white lead actor because he's the son of two great heroes. Yeah, it's Disney, but have they never heard of Rosa Parks?

I know its all setup to allow the sidekicks to save the day and prove their worth at the end, but everyone in this society, even our heroes parents, comes across as a total powers-racist.

£5 says he gets his powers by the end of the movie and the whole message becomes pointless.

edit: Just got his powers.

On the plus side this film does have Kurt Russell and Bruce Campbell.

Oh, I'm not saying it's not worthy of note. The prestige and status of the "heroes" is an overarching issue in the movie; it's just not dealt with realistically enough for it to be "scary" IMO. It's sorta like the "Batman and Robin are gay" argument. Sure, in real life it'd be an issue worth discussing, but in the actual story it's not really the point (or, in B&R's case, at all valid).

How could it not be the point? Its sorta the whole moral and point of the film, its just that in execution the concept came off a little unsettling for my taste. In fact its a lot like the Starfire "Troq" episode of Teen Titans that the guys reviewed in WFP this week, except Disney are naively saying that ingrained attitudes and behaviours of an entire society can change after just one event. You know that realistically there are going to be a lot of people who don't see things differently afterwards, after all, it did take a proper hero to save the day in the end. The fact that its not scary or dealt with seriously was what made it even more unsettling for me, as though this caste-based system wasn't something they felt deserved serious treatment. I don't see many other films laughing about how a divided society awards different privileges to different groups for no real reason.

It's nothing like Troq. Troq was literal, in-your-face, direct-point racism that deeply affected the characters on a personal level. In Sky High, the two "levels" of hero training were analogous to the real-world social groups in high school (the "popular" and "unpopular" kids). Sure, if it really existed, the hero/sidekick duality would be a horrible thing, endlessly protested (and rightly so) by countless civil rights groups. But in Sky High, the way that it's done is far more innocent. Sure, it means you have to give into the suspension of disbelief, but that's the idea. It's very clearly a world where people don't think or behave like real people; they're silver-age comic caricatures.

That's a good analogy actually, likening it to the Silver age. I look at it as one of those Silver Age Superman is a dick comic covers that are much more chilling in a modern light. I'm not saying that its done in a startlingly bad way in the film, its a good little film. I'm just saying the way they've done it displays little to no self awareness for what they've actually created, which is far worse than just a popular/unpopular divide. It basically turns half the kids into servants for the rest of their lives based on how they are assigned to heroes at the end of their education, and the heroes get to decide everything down to their name and outfit. Sure they have the choice to do something else, but their entire education is designed to turn them into a meat shield/butler.

Its clearly not just the high school that is segregated, its the whole hero community. It's just that it starts at the high school and continues from there.

It's not something worth seriously arguing over, I just thought it was a funny little note from the film.

Re Sky High I was going to compare it to Harry Potter ie what would people be saying if the sorting hat sorted everyone into worthwhile people and the useless ones, wouldn't everyone be talking about how inherently wrong that was. Then I remembered, that's pretty much what Hufflepuff was for.

Re Sky High I was going to compare it to Harry Potter ie what would people be saying if the sorting hat sorted everyone into worthwhile people and the useless ones, wouldn't everyone be talking about how inherently wrong that was. Then I remembered, that's pretty much what Hufflepuff was for.

Hufflepuff is where well rounded individuals go. If you're near-suicidal with delusions of grandeur, too intelligent for your own good, or an out and out racist, there's a house for you. Hufflepuff represents people who work hard for life, are loyal, and don't care what kind of person you necessarily are. Sorry, I tend to think of myself as a Hufflepuff. It happens.

Hufflepuff is where the "nice" people go. It's very rare to find a student in Hufflepuff that's really "remarkable" (Cedric Diggory is the biggest exception). If Gryffindor and Ravenclaw are Doctors and Lawyers, Hufflepuff are the Nurses and Legal Assistants.

I always kind of figured that the Hufflepuffs were the students that didn't have much of a drive to succeed past "good enough." Sure, they're famous for their acceptance of others and overall friendship, but they're also not the ones leading the charge in anything; they're content to be support for others.

Yeah, Wilson quietly became my favourite character on that show without me even realising it (until last season that is). He's like the glue that holds the whole thing together, plus he's hilarious.

Yep, definitely my favorite character too. House is a lucky show in that it has interesting enough characters to sustain it after the medical gimmick has become stale.

Yeah, Wilson quietly became my favourite character on that show without me even realising it (until last season that is). He's like the glue that holds the whole thing together, plus he's hilarious.

Yep, definitely my favorite character too. House is a lucky show in that it has interesting enough characters to sustain it after the medical gimmick has become stale.

In original auditions, (where the title isn't on the scripts) Hugh Laurie as said that he thought the show was about Wilson.