What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

Also:

He revealed his identity and got the girl, I really hated that. It was the one thing I felt the comic got right, I was sick of the superhero revealing his identity and getting the girl during Batman Forever, and I am just bored rigid by it here.

The guy from Superbad was awesome, and that change I felt was awesome from the book. Instead of heel turning out of nowhere, it makes sense why is plotting against Kick Ass, for his fathers attention.

I hated that change too. Even though it was independently made, it felt like a "hollywoodization" of the source material. I think Kick-Ass is alright. The problem with it is that Hit-Girl and Big Daddy are far more interesting than the title character. While I liked Kick-Ass, I probably would have loved a film about those two. Hit-Girl is easily the best part of the film and I'm more keen to watch the remake of Let The Right One In now based on the actress' performance.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hated that change too. Even though it was independently made, it felt like a "hollywoodization" of the source material. I think Kick-Ass is alright. The problem with it is that Hit-Girl and Big Daddy are far more interesting than the title character. While I liked Kick-Ass, I probably would have loved a film about those two. Hit-Girl is easily the best part of the film and I'm more keen to watch the remake of Let The Right One In now based on the actress' performance.

They were a lot more interesting, but like I said, Hit Girl and Big Daddy were a lot better in the civilian identities, like when he makes her a promise to go bowling if she can take the full round of a handgun without crying. And her joking about wanting a puppy.

Housebroken: Well, it certainly took care of those two hours I was bored for. Watched it online through streaming service, and yeah, it sucked.

Plot is two grown boys living in their parents house, and the parents trying to get them to move out, well the father played by Danny DeVito. Nothing really happens, and it certainly wasn't offensive, it just wasn't any good either, it was just there.

Austen, for your own safety, do me a favour and never watch the following movies.

Jacob's Ladder

Dr. Strangelove

City of Lost Children

12 Angry Men

Sabrina

The Seventh Seal

American History X

Eraserhead

Dark City

Amélie

Seven Samurai

Full Metal Jacket

Run Lola Run

Austen, for your own safety, do me a favour and never watch the following movies.

Jacob's Ladder

Dr. Strangelove

City of Lost Children

12 Angry Men

Sabrina

The Seventh Seal

American History X

Eraserhead

Dark City

Amélie

Seven Samurai

Full Metal Jacket

Run Lola Run

I know for sure that that is already on my list of films to watch. However, I remember thinking it was fucking awesome last time I watched it a few years ago. Ed Norton was awesome as the reformed Nazi who saw the light in prison. And it also has Randy from My Name is Earl if I remember rightly.

So :P

Mortal Kombat getting past the fact that this is more a documentary on video game violence in general, and only speaks about MK for about 3 minutes, and once you get passed the horrible editing that is done, where you have in game footage actually playing next to, and sometimes on top of footage of talking heads, its actually not a bad documentary, which is trying to show both sides of the argument about violent video games.

Edit: They are just glossing over stuff, and just trying to cover as many games as possible. They could have done a full ten minutes on the moral values of Fables, and how every action you take affects your future, instead they just say "It's a nice thing..." and go onto to something else. This is really disappointing, I don't care how many games you can show, and have your talking heads talk about, I want them to cover a few games, and actually get their point across. In the end, this is just a thirty minute documentary that someone thought could last three times that.

They have spent ages on the bloody leisure suit Larry game, a game I've never played, and never plan to, as I hear it is a fucking horrible game. Not because of the content, but because its just a crappy game.

Edit: A quick look at my rental list, and Dark City is actually on there, before you're comment Dubs. Pretty sure I put it on, as I wanted to see it years ago, and also Richard O'Brien from the Crystal Maze was in it.

That's a list of my favourite movies of all time. Tread lightly.

And Dark City is fucking amazing. I shall hear no different.

I'm moving Dark City to high priority now then, just to see if it is as good as you say.

Full Metal Jacket, I have not made it past the scene where the guy blows his own brains out in the bathroom, not because I don't want to, its just one of those films, I just don't find the time to sit down and watch in full.

Now, I'm adding it to the list.

Roger Corman's Little Shop of Horrors: Sure, it's cheesy as fuck, but it's Corman. A young, demented Jack Nicholson steals the show in his cameo. I'm glad this film exists, because of the musical it spawned. Without that, though, it's nothing special.

I'm attempting Repo: The Genetic Opera, if only for Tony Head. We'll see.

Interstate 60: The film was written and directed by the writer of BTTF(Bob Gale). It started off slow, with a really weird first half hour, however after that, the film found its pace, and aside from one or two missteps with being overly preachy in situations and downright pretentious in others, it levels out quite well in the end.

The film deals with the issues of drugs and how one small town has found a way to deal with the problem, and although the ending does seem a bit, well stupid, the premise leaves it open to actually make some seblance of sense.

The film raises questions of life, and ideals and going down the road less travelled, and how you should always try to make your own way, and not feel the need to ask what to do next. Like I said, it sometimes gets this across, wheras at others, it just veers off course with a stupid plot thread, but the stupid threads are far and in between and after the first half hour, mostly disappear.

The actors are all very good, bar the girl love interest, Amy Smart, who is just as blind and lifeless as she always is, while still maintaining an ok level of hotness. Kurt Russell and Michael J Fox do give some great cameos, and Kimberly, the original pink Power Ranger is quite good in her bit as a nympho looking for the perfect fuck.

All in all, a very enjoyable film.

Added it to my Netflix Instant Que.

You won't regret it.

Phase IV Did a whole twitter thing with this film, where I just tweet my thoughts about it. I'm just going to post my personal favourite here:

Who is fucking funding this shit!? "Bah, cure for cancer, I wonder what these ants really think of Lindsey Lohans tits!" #PhaseIV

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1920) - Very good silent horror film, John Barrymore really comes alive as Hyde. The Hyde makeup isn't complex, but it's effective for the time period.

Vampyr (1932) - This is a tale of two cities. The visuals, atmosphere, and camerawork are brilliant, but the story and characters are relatively simple. It could be justified due to the silent film style the director was going for, but I've seen silent films with more characterization. A little disappointing in that aspect, but still well worth watching.

Mountain Gorilla- three episodes in, this follows Gorilla groups in Uganda, Rwanda and Congo, where all of the remaining wild 700 mountain gorillas live. Fascinating stuff, examining behaviour and group politics. However, the narration is extremely repetitive, they always assume you've just tuned in so they try to go over the stories again and again. I mean, plus points for getting Patrick Stewart to narrate, but they've really dumbed some of this down.