What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A couple of friends and I were trying to figure out the best way to describe Veronica Mars to people in order to get them to watch it, and you just can't make it sound good. "It's about a smart-ass girl in high school works as a detective solving people's problems and mysteries. Oh, and the biggest mystery she's trying to solve is her own rape!"

Yeah, just the right mix of irritating central character and downer in there. Shame really, when people actually watch a couple of episodes they tend to quite like it. Not my housemates though, Katie still says its the worst TV show she's ever seen. And she liked Torchwood. And owns every series of Bugs.

A couple of friends and I were trying to figure out the best way to describe Veronica Mars to people in order to get them to watch it, and you just can't make it sound good. "It's about a smart-ass girl in high school works as a detective solving people's problems and mysteries. Oh, and the biggest mystery she's trying to solve is her own rape!"

Yeah, just the right mix of irritating central character and downer in there. Shame really, when people actually watch a couple of episodes they tend to quite like it. Not my housemates though, Katie still says its the worst TV show she's ever seen. And she liked Torchwood. And owns every series of Bugs.

Yeah, but you hate Crime Traveller, heathen!

I've never watched Veronica Mars although I did read up on it on wikipedia and, on paper/website, it sounded like a good show. I think it's one of those shows you need to ctach randomly on TV to allow your interest to grow enough to sit down with a boxset. That's where I am having watched one or two episodes of Reaper and Ed - post-dissertation, I'm catching up on a LOT of television.

Yeah, but you hate Crime Traveller, heathen!

It's not hate, its a mixture of disgust and pity. And that's just for Chloe Annett's wardrobe, BOOM! 90's roasted.

I know what you mean about just catching a show though, it was the same for me with Alias. The adverts were on Sky all the time so then I finally just sat down and watched it, and immediately loved it. Cynical friends were tough to win over but in the end everyone I've got the watch it acknowledges Alias as one of the most fun TV shows ever.

Do check out Veronica Mars at some point, but have realistic expectations. It's a low budget tv teen drama, not The Wire.

How I got all of my friends into Veronica Mars is that I just sat them down and had them watch the first episode. By the end, they were ready for the next one. I usually also point out how hot Kristen Bell is, that it's a dark show with a lot of great humor, and that the overarching mystery is one of the better series story arcs of any show I've watched.

Journey to the Center of the Earth Not the awesome original, the dodgy Brendan Fraser movie. Wow, what a stinker. I mean I like he guy, I think he's entertaining most of the time. This movie however had no redeeming features. In fact I can't remember how the story flowed or how any of the scenes linked with each other. It was like the script was written

Charlie Wilson's War Really enjoyed this, even though it had Julia Roberts in it, who I can't stand. It was more than offset by the wonderful Phil Hoffman. I enjoyed the final message about unattended consequences as well, even if it was quite obvious.

Has there ever been a more likeable actor with a poor filmography as Brendan Fraser?

Well, the simple fact of the matter is that he's a terrific actor (watch Gods and Monsters though he is overshadowed by Sir Ian McKellan and Lynn Redgrave) who makes dumb choices. He just doesn't know how to choose a film worth shit.

I saw 12 angry men on my plane ride overseas. Its pretty amazing how well a movie about 12 men arguing in a single, dull looking room was able to hold my attention.

Edit - I also watched a whole lot more TV on those plane rides than I have in a while (which isn't hard considering I spent over 40 hours in the air in total). Better off Ted, Community and Bored to Death are all fantastic shows. I think I have a few DVDs I need to look for.

My verdicts on the movies I watched on the plane over:

The Devil Wears Prada: Fun little movie, and Glenn Close is fun as the bitch from hell. :P

Prince of Persia: ...Eh. Generic, can't remember much about this except ostriches. Also, Ben Kingsley is the most obvious villain in the history of ever.

Sex and the City 2: I didn't last fifteen minutes. Turned it off cause otherwise I would've started throwing things at the screen, and the person whose seat it was probably wouldn't have appreciated that.

Letters to Juliet: Generic, bland, don't even remember that much of it.

And oh yeah, saw the new Ghibli (not Miyazaki) film today, and it's based on the Borrowers; cute movie, worth the admission price, and hey, I could actually understand what was happening!

Daredevil: Like Fantastic Four and Ghost Rider, this is neither good, nor bad. Just bland. Did like the names of people behind Daredevil being used, like Miller, Bendis and Mack, and of course Joe Quesada being the only actual law case he deals with during the film.

Did you watch the original or the diector's cut?

Daredevil: Like Fantastic Four and Ghost Rider, this is neither good, nor bad. Just bland. Did like the names of people behind Daredevil being used, like Miller, Bendis and Mack, and of course Joe Quesada being the only actual law case he deals with during the film.

Original.

Original.

Yeah, the original was pretty boring. The director's cut is much better, although it's still not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination.