What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Inglorious Basterds- What can I say? Just as awesome as the first time I saw it.

I've seen it ten times, probably, and I'm still always blown away by Christoph Waltz. The man is in-fucking-credible.

Agreed and adding Melanie Laurent to that as well. As much fun as Waltz was, I think Laurent turned in the best performance in the movie.

Beyond Thunderdome was fun, and the stuntwork was stellar, and the story quite creative, but its yet another in a long list of successful franchises that got PGified as it went on. In the last film we had brutal murders, rapes and public torture to inspire fear. In this one explosions cause blackened faces and little physical damage, its like something out of Tex Avary.

Just finished BSG season one. Now, several years back I saw the season finale on Syfy's website. Apparently I didn't remember as much as I though I did. Towards the end my mind was drifting a little, and my eyes were wandering around the screen and...

Boomer shot Adama! That was completely unremembered and made me jump is my seat! Awesome.

Sweet Smell of Success (1957) - Great film noir about a newspaper columnist who pulls the strings of others to ruin his sister's relationship with a man he disapproves of. Starring Burt Lancaster and the recently deceased Tony Curtis, the former's performance as the aforementioned columnist J.J. Hunsecker is on my list of all time favorites.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962) - A classic western starring John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart where the values of the east collide with those of the old west.

Taxi Driver (1976) - From the acting to the music to the cinematography, everything about this film is incredible. Travis Bickle's status as one of the greatest characters in film is well deserved.

Unforgiven (1992) - Brilliant film that deconstructs the western, as well as Clint Eastwood's iconic roles and status in the genre.

Pi (1998) - Darren Aronofsky proved his skill as a director with his first film by making a psychological thriller about mathematics and obsession that is constantly compelling. Even the type of filmstock used adds to the mental breakdown of the main character.

A History of Violence (2005) - I think Eastern Promises is a notch better, but this story of a man's violent past coming back to his doorstep shows how masterfully David Cronenberg directs crime cinema. Also, that Viggo Mortensen is so much more and so much better than Aragorn.

Harry Brown (2009) - An okay film, mainly interesting to see Michael Caine play against type as a vigilante pensioner taking revenge on teenage gang members.

Iron Man 2 (2010) - As someone who loved the first film, this sequel was a major disappointment. It's a film that doesn't know what it wants to be. Does it want to be a sequel to Iron Man or a prequel to The Avengers? Does it want to the dark second act in a trilogy or keep the balance of serious and funny from the first film? It fails in being taken seriously, mostly due to the Saturday morning cartoon villainy of Justin Hammer. The humor was one of the things I most liked about the original, but in this they ratchet it up to a level where most of it comes off as stupid. Villain wise, they failed to learn from the first film as the end succumbs to Iron Monger Syndrome. Even Tony Stark moves away from being a believable character as his smugness goes to 11. It isn't nearly as bad as Catwoman or Ghost Rider, but it's a steep drop from what the first film had to offer.

I fucking love the music from Taxi Driver. It is so eerie, yet so awesome. And really catches the awesome tone of the film.

I've been watching Chuck after being prodded to watch it for years from friends. The first few episodes were bland, but it gets better, and near the end of the first series, its getting really enjoyable.

I've been watching Chuck after being prodded to watch it for years from friends. The first few episodes were bland, but it gets better, and near the end of the first series, its getting really enjoyable.

Yeah, the end of season 1 has some great episodes. Season 2 is my favorite, personally.

Finished Dexter season 4. John Lithgow needs his own show.....like tomorrow. It also has to be on cable.

Wasn't he on Third Rock From the Sun for a few years?

A shitty sitcom doesn't show what a great actor he is. It just paid his mortgage. He was in The World According to Garp....as a woman.

I love Chuck, I decided to start watching... I guess from a combination of Yvonne Strahovski, Adam Baldwin, and hearing that the show focused on geek references. Watching the third season on DVD now, recording season four as it comes out. After getting into the season three, I have detected a pattern the relationships seem to take every season.

Chuck and Sarah get together, they break up, Chuck and Sarah find new love interests, they break up with them, get together, and then start the cycle over again.

The big change of things at the start of season 2, though streamlining the show, did throw me through a loop at first. Nonetheless it is a very enjoyable show, though darn if Yvonne's American accent throws you off the first time you hear it, from the point-of-view of having played hours and hours of Mass Effect 2.

2012- OK, basically this entire film is Chiwetel Ejiofor whining about how unfair everything is, Oliver Platt being a dick about it and John Cusack flying off cliffs to escape shit. All of which could be removed if this film was edited down to what it should be (and all anyone cares about), the destruction of monuments. I mean, do that and you've got a solid half hour of hilarity.