What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time- Hilarious for several reasons. The near-pathological lack of blood. The all-white cast. The fact that almost the entire plot so far is gladiator with current events mixed in. You see, Persia has proof that this city is making weapons for their enemies, so they have to invade, only to find that there are no weapons. In fact (and this completely befuddles me) the city has no forges, despite being well armed and able to put shoes on their horses. So it turns out that some Persian higher-ups might have falsified the evidence to justify the invasion. Like I said, this is a laugh riot.

I think said Prince better look out, last time I saw someone of humble background rescue an attractive princess wearing white in a movie it turned out to be his sister.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been told a few times now that if nothing else, having a mostly white cast in Prince of Persia is actually pretty accurate.

Are your sources on this the Hollywood movies of the 1950's? Or renaissance paintings of the sort that depict Jesus as a white man? :P

Perhaps you're right, but still they made sure that every main character is white and every minor character or extra is middle eastern. It's not good no matter which way you slice it.

Finished the film. Totally average blockbuster far minus the comedy that usually makes these things worth watching. In particular (through no fault of their own) the dunstan (?)/princess relationship lacks spark because the script doesn't really have much in the way of interesting dialogue between them. Shame, because I like both actors involved. They basically have to do that hollywood thing of having enough scenes where they're less than a foot apart that they both realise how good looking the other is and act on it.

Because where on earth would we find as good or as hot (mostly the hot) of an actor/actress as those two, clearly!

I watched it on the plane ride over. I give it a resounding MEH. And yeah, the echoing current events was a touch odd.

Also, Ben Kingsley may be the most obvious villain in the history of ever.

Yeah, he's not subtle is he. I thought it would be a really interesting twist if Kingsley's character wanted the throne but towards the end it was revealed that he still planned to adopt Dunstan as his son and heir. Play up the relationship between the two a bit more and all of a sudden you have a villain who isn't a totally evil selfish bastard and a conflicted hero once he understands what's going on. Plus it makes his choice a moral one rather than a prevent untold damage one.

Insomnia (2002) - Solid thriller from Nolan, though it's probably my second least favorite of his (not that that's a bad thing, as I like all of his films). Part of this is because it lacks a certain air of "Nolanness," and the other part is because I find the 1997 Norwegian original superior, which I admit is unfair as remakes are always a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

The Science of Sleep (2006) - A sci-fi romance from Michel Gondry where a man's perception of what is dream and what is reality blurs. I love what Gondry does with the dream aspects of the mise-en-scene, he's brilliant with visuals. The film is unsuccessful, however, because the story goes on for a bit and then just stops. It reaches a point where what is dream and what is reality becomes more difficult to discern, which is engaging, but ultimately there is no resolution. I'm sure Gondry's intention was for the film to feel as dreamlike as possible, which I commend, but I still can't help feeling unfulfilled at the end.

Kick-Ass- Still awesome. I think one of it's biggest strengths is actually the score, the mix of popular music and a more classical superhero score really underlines the homage and yet ensures it remains fun to watch. I think I'm getting pretty good at recognising composers too, this was clearly the same dude who did Stardust given several quirks in his composition.

Hit-Girl might be the most awesome action star created in recent film history. Any of the action sequences with her freakin' RULE.

edit- upon doing a little research it was the dude who did stardust plus three other people, but I think John Murphy is mostly on that list because they used the 28 days later theme.

The Town- Affleck represent! Fuck the haters! Seriously, I've always like Ben, never really got why people got on him, he's way better than a lot of people give him credit for. On top of that, The Town proves he's a seriously talented director. Excellent job all around, really good film, well cast and well written. The bank-robbing action is intense, and all the stuff inbetween works great too, there's some superbly tense scenes involving Jeremy Renner. Oh, and Jon Hamm is awesome, Blake Lively proves herself as a serious actress and Rebecca Hall is captivating as ever. Really recommend this.

I think tonight's episode of Glee may have been one of, if not the, strongest in the series.

Just saw that.

I'm rather impressed that the "God-themed episode" managed to keep from being totally Christian-bashing, since it's done a good bit of that in the past. It was still very obviously written from the non-believer's perspective—which didn't really lend itself very well to an even discussion—but at least it didn't make any absolute statements.

Also, having Kurt presented as a real person rather than just a selfish douchebag helped a lot.

Let me know what you think of the changes that are made.

Finished the first disc earlier, and it...wasn't all that great. I mean some good stuff was set up, but the episodes didn't really get any better than just good. However the last one on the disc, about Sarah's high school reunion with Nicole Richie and Corey from Boy Meets World, was awesome.

Why did the change the hot dog place to a stupid juice stop? Other than that, I'm still really enjoying the show.

I love you Phillip Morris. If you haven't checked this out yet, I recommend it. Best way to start out is by saying its like Catch Me If You Can, only with you less likely to call bullshit about what is going on. Also, a love story between Ewan McGregor and Jim Carrey, and although Ewan isn't all that interesting, Carrey plays his role really well, and doesn't try and act out every scene, he seems to really enjoy holding back in this role and trying to be realistic as a con artist, who is just trying to keep everyone happy.

It is an awesome film that really needs to be watched, the last half hour alone, is awesome.

The Rifftrax of High School Musical.

Because I have to understand pop culture phenomenons, first Twilight and now this. Nice that the guys in commentary are sharing my pain.

Quick question, what happened to kids and teenagers having musical taste? I mean, I've got some questionable stuff in my back catalogue, but by and large I'm not too ashamed of any music I was into or much that I bought. I'd be utterly mortified if I bought this sort of music as a kid. I had a lot of Michael Jackson, Dire Straits and some Big Mountain thrown in. This is like Grease if it only featured the kids who never had fun.

Also, (and I honestly didn't start out wanting to think this way because I don't mind him nowadays) young Zach Efron is fucking horrible. Just a huge amound of one-upmanship in his performance, its terrible, which his over-expressiveness and Luke Skywalker haircut. I just want to stamp his face into the ground.

Pretty sure some of these songs are heavily influenced by R Kelly's Trapped in the Closet.