Episode 36

RSS

Guest DCAUFan1051

I dunno if this is blasphemy or not but the Chase me feature was the only bonus feature on the MotB DVD I did not watch. granted I have the DVD next to my towqer because I was watching another feature last night to accurately write the post before yours Selina

I agree Bats/Babs Yuk! Robin/BG way cool :D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DCAUFan1051
the Chase me feature was the only bonus feature on the MotB DVD I did not watch.

Youtube! Watch it :) It's better than the movie.

I agree Bats/Babs Yuk! Robin/BG way cool :D

I wish J & M read some of my email...

maybe mike can put it in the mailbag section on the WFP site :happy: :unsure::D

Guest DCAUFan1051
maybe mike can put it in the mailbag section on the WFP site :happy: :unsure::D

Didn't know there was one!

u didn't hear that on a past episode dunno which 1 where mike says the emails that they don't read will sometimes be in the mailbag section of www.worldsfinestpodcast.com ?? and why is your selina avatar's haie black wasn't she a blonde in the cartoon :huh: :angel: :D

u didn't hear that on a past episode dunno which 1 where mike says the emails that they don't read will sometimes be in the mailbag section of www.worldsfinestpodcast.com ?? and why is your selina avatar's haie black wasn't she a blonde in the cartoon :huh: :angel: :D

1) do you have a link to that mailbag section?

2) I like her both ways -- but I prefer her with dark hair, like in the comics.

Guest DCAUFan1051
Mike: She had blond hair in BTAS and black hair in Gotham Knights.

Selina: The mailbag section has been updated once, so it's not really worth a look, but here's the link.

I guess that just goes to show ya how much of GK I've actually seen lol but I did recently get Almost Got Im thru iTunes for my iPhone lol :D

I haven't finished listening yet, so I may post some thoughts tonight, but I wanted to ask - anyone know if there's a thread for Heidi's project about DID and Batman's Rogues? I looked through my old e-mails and I sent in some comments about the difference between multiple personality syndrome and schizophrenia (and about insanity vs. mental illness) back about episode 13 or so. I can offer a few points, the main one being any paper about multiple personality syndrome in comic books (or most any other form of entertainment) should start off with "The Inaccuracies in Portrayals of..."

Back in college, I took a Physiological Psychology class - if you want another fun topic for a psych course, talk about the effects of sleep deprivation on Batman (and the rest of the Bat-Family). This was a big deal in residency - I was one of the last people to go through training without restrictions on work hours. Most people don't know this, but if you've been awake for 24 hours, you are performing as well as someone with a blood alcohol content of 0.1 %. (An over the counter dose of Benadryl puts you in the same boat). That would be a fun intervention on the Watchtower:

S: Bruce, you've been up for 36 hours. Give me your keys!

B: (glares)

S: Diana? J'onn? anyone? Help?!?

(later, Batman found wrapped neck to toe with friction burned duct tape, then with green arrow-delivered handcuffs. Stalks away, muttering "I warned everyone, I AM vengeance." Superman resolves never to involve Flash and Green Arrow in interventions again).

Chris

Funny because Batman DRIVES in "Only a Dream."

Yeah, but he DID drink coffee, so that made it fine. After all, coffee is a perfect substitute for sleep. (Of course, despite the heavy sarcasm, that's exactly what I did on those 36 hour stints in the PICU as a resident. Not that I had a lot of options, but I still shudder at the thought.)

Of course, towards the end of my residency, they did modify the rules. Residents now cannot work more than 80 hours a week, and can't be taking care of patients for more than 24 hours straight (although they may stay in the hospital for up to 30 to make sure that the resident replacing them is up to speed, etc.)

After Mike said that Mystery of the Batwoman was coming up next, I became confused, cause it seems to me that the animation style of that movie reflects the look of the second and third seasons of Batman Beyond which leads towards the animation in the first season of Justice League.

I have no idea what you mean. How is the animation in MotBW anything like Batman: Beyond? It's still Bruce, Tim, Barbara (sort of), and company. Of course, there are several new voice actors, but that doesn't have anything to do with the animation.

I mean by the cleaness, color depth, and I guess the contract.

Yeah, that Darkseid plan made NO sense. If he wanted Superman gone, perhaps the moment when he HAD MIND CONTROL over him would have been a good time to say "hey, Supes, fly into that black hole over there." Sending him back to Earth where all of his friends and memories linger is Dr. Evil levels of ineptitude.

It's true that Darkseid wanted to use Superman to lay waste to Earth, however, he also said that he wanted the world's armies to unite to destroy Superman. And that doesn't make sense. If Superman did his job, there would be no world armies left to destroy him. The only reason he was taken captive is because Lois distracted him. Had she not stepped in, Superman would have actually taken control of the planet, leaving the second half of Darkseid's plan unfulfilled.

Just a few random thoughts -

Mike, I thought that on Chemistry, I agreed with you completely. It's the getting to Bruce and the interplay in the Batfamily that raise this episode for me. I really liked the little brother/big sister stuff between Barbara and Tim - we've seen it with Tim and Dick, but not as much with Babs. I also loved Linda Hamilton's scornful delivery of that line at the end, "Relationships aren't supposed to be easy. Even I know that, and I'm just a plant." The sad thing is, I'm not too suprised that a plant has more relationship savvy than Bruce...

For Beware the Creeper, I sent an e-mail for the next episode - you guys referred to the debate about curing more advanced stages of a disease in Moon of the Wolf, and I was the one who responded to that (actually, I think that may have been my first e-mail - ahh, the good old days, before I started yapping so much and made poor James read it all), so I thought I'd try again. On another note, I didn't know about the healing talent, but it does make sense. Makes you wonder if that's not how Joker gets out of all of his scrapes - hey, if Creeper got a healing talent, maybe Joker did too...

About Legacy, Darkseid's plan is hard to follow - I guess that's why there's an Evil Overlord List, though. It did seem to have a pretty high "Huh?" factor (or maybe a "Really?" factor, in that tone of voice Mike uses so much). I do want to weigh in on the Superman vs Darkseid debate though. I maintain that in terms of physical prowess, Superman was the clear winner both in "Twilight" and in "Destroyer" In "Twilight", Batman pulled Superman away before he could finish the job, but there's no question who was winning. In "Destroyer", once Superman cut loose, he was clearly dominant. Darkseid didn't win because he was a better or stronger fighter - he won because he had weapons. The two matchups in Justice League seemed to be pretty clear that, with nothing but their natural abilities, Superman wins (and you can debate stronger vs just a better fighter if you like. I don't think Superman is that skilled in hand-to-hand combat, so I would guess he won largely through superior strength, but with no weapons or interference, Superman wins. That's my point.)

Chris

I concede that Darkseid used a weapon during their final battle in "Destroyer," but my point is that Superman hit him with everything he had (twice) and Darkseid shrugged it off.

Superman: Had enough?

Darkseid: Not. Quite. Yet.

He got up like nothing happened... though James is correct when he said Darseid's might had been combined with Brainiac's by that point. So... maybe Superman is stronger than Darkseid, but not Darkseidiac.

I concede that Darkseid used a weapon during their final battle in "Destroyer," but my point is that Superman hit him with everything he had (twice) and Darkseid shrugged it off.

Superman: Had enough?

Darkseid: Not. Quite. Yet.

He got up like nothing happened... though James is correct when he said Darseid's might had been combined with Brainiac's by that point. So... maybe Superman is stronger than Darkseid, but not Darkseidiac.

When I watch that scene, I'm not sure I'd describe Darkseid's reaction as shrugging it off. I always felt that those shots definitely slowed him down, and given that he had previously been trying to beat Superman physically, the fact that he then went for the weapon was an admission that he realized he was not going to be able to take Superman with fighting ability alone. I would liken it to a bout between a heavyweight and a middleweight. They're both strong. They're both good fighters. The heavyweight may throw two really good punches at the middleweight and the middleweight's still getting up, still trying...but in the end, the heavyweight is going to win (unless the middleweight pulls out a neural disrupter are starts monologing.). Maybe I'm off, but that's how I always interpreted that scene - Darkseid wanted the personal, physical victory, and only resorted to the weapon when he realized that Superman outmatched him physically.

Chris