Random wrestling thoughts

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

True, but that's the interesting thing. Jericho's doing something new, whatever it is. Last time he came back a lot of people gave him credit for reinventing the wrestling heel, I don't go that far but he did strip the idea back to it's fundamentals. This time it looks like he has another idea and I'm fascinated to know what it is.

My take is this: Jericho said repeatedly that he would only come back if he came up with a new approach. I believe he has and will reserve full judgment until this plays out further.

That said, taking the segment by itself? Not a fan. I have been told by a few podcasts that I didn't like it because I "didn't get it" and because "I am not smart." The entire thing just seems off. Doing it before the main event seems really odd. As in, I don't think it was referenced during the main event and then that Kane thing happened.

Like I said, I want to see how this plays out. Not in the Punk promo aftermath kinda way of "I need to see where this is going", but in the "that was weird. I wonder why" kinda way.

Thank you for the welcome to the boards. I have to agree with Professor that Jericho said he would only come back when he could do something different. I believe he has. Another question that should be raised is the constant references to "she" in the promos. Who is she? Is she referencing the WHC or WWE Championship? Is she a reference to Stephanie? Someone else altogether?

Edit: And it turns out when WWE.com tried to do a backstage interview with Jericho, he kept smiling but remained silent.

My take is this: Jericho said repeatedly that he would only come back if he came up with a new approach. I believe he has and will reserve full judgment until this plays out further.

That said, taking the segment by itself? Not a fan. I have been told by a few podcasts that I didn't like it because I "didn't get it" and because "I am not smart." The entire thing just seems off. Doing it before the main event seems really odd. As in, I don't think it was referenced during the main event and then that Kane thing happened.

The Kane coming out of the ring thing kind of explained why they had the comeback earlier in the night. But they could have saved the Kane coming out from under the ring till next week, and had Jericho end the show tonight. It wouldn't have been so annoying if they did it that way.

After rewatching it, I have to say, I liked it. When I first saw it, I was actually ready to shout "Get on with it" at my screen, which to me, means it served its purpose, getting a reaction out of me, that I wasn't expecting to have. And to be honest, that's a first time in a long time I've been able to have a knee jerk reaction to something that happened in wrestling, as it usually feels forced and faked. Wheras this felt like someone milking the crowd for all they were worth, then telling them to piss off when he was tired.

And for anyone who hasn't seen the Jericho comeback:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzrpkzBqaAY&feature=g-u&context=G2989c49FUAAAAAAAUAQ

It turns out that the Jericho return happened during half time of the Fiesta Bowl. If in fact true, that explains a lot and makes a ton of sense. If I gave two shits about either team, I would have been watching football and flipped over during halftime to see RAW.

On the other hand, that would have not persuaded me to stay for the main event.

Jericho is, has, and always will be about timing. He made himself a star by debuting during the Rock's promo. He came back to fight the biggest heel in the company: Randy Orton, and if he did in fact put himself right in the halftime slot of the football game, it's genius.

Next week, Jericho should come out and do the same thing but right at the end, his smile slowly, ever so slowly fades into a frown or just a straight face.

But I will heavily jump for joy if they give us Punk/Jericho because Jericho as a heel is better than Jericho as a face.

----

Sidenote: in the backstage interview, the interviewer asked Jericho what it was like to have all those fans screaming Y2J and I think that's what irritates him. Y2J has been dead for several years now, but the fans still cling to it. I think that may be why he's upset.

Just to show I'm being fair to Clay's new gimmick.

Positives-

A lot more people are talking about this than they would be about him normally.

WWE needs popular faces badly.

WWE doesn't need another angry heel.

Brodus is awesome in the role and will likely only get better.

I just want Brodus on TV, he's earned it.

Negatives-

Threw weeks of vingettes out the window

Brodus has more potential as a badass heel

Red might pop on HD (that's why they made Mark Henry wear it) but it does make a fat man look fatter. Brodus looks less like the killer he did on Superstars and more like a not that huge fat guy.

Turning a monster heel into the freakin Hip Hop Hippo on his first night might not be smart.

A lot of people have been talking about how this gimmick is like Rikishi or Flash Funk or Ernest Miller, but personally I though it had a lot of Jimmy Valiant and in terms of appeal its more than a little Godfatherish.

GIven some thought on the Funkasaurus and believe it or not.... it actually makes sense.

If you debut Brodus Clay as this unstoppable monster heel, then he falls into the same trap that every other one has: Snitsky, Mike Knox, etc. etc. etc. On top of that, Kane is already filling the monster heel role on RAW and Henry is filling that role on RAW and Smackdown. To have another monster heel floods the market. Turning him into this, gets the fans and kiddies to like him. His talk inside the ring is great. "Shu-plex" and "My bad!" really are funny to hear.

After giving this much thought and giving it time, I can firmly say that I am hopping the train to Planet Funk!

-------

Misc.

Daniel Bryan = great heel

Jericho walking out is great.

Laurinitis FINALLY snapping was great as was Punk's tirade. I still DO NOT understand why Punk is not given more time to just go off like he does.

Evan Bourne needs to lay off the marijuana, he's screwing his own career.

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN WHY MY DIVAS CHAMPION IS NOT ON RAW WRESTLING?!?!

About Brodus Clay: I am still not liking this. While yes, monster heels are in vogue at the moment, I think you should go serious first. Look at Mark Henry. He has had a great year and is doing his best work as a serious, badass monster. Yet, the crowd will still chant "Sexual Chocolate" at him and that gimmick happened in 1999.

Better yet, look at Rikishi. He had already had is run as a serious character. Then the fat guy dancing gimmick that the crowd loved. What happened after that? The serious "I did it for the Rock" character didn't work as he was still the guy who did the stinkface.

I'm just saying that the more this gets over, the harder it becomes to take him seriously down the line.