Random wrestling thoughts

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The following announcement was sent out on Tuesday morning by Vince Russo's booking agent, Bill Behrens (SHOWBIS@aol.com):

BABY FACES, BLADE JOBS and BOOKING

Everything you wanted to know about writing a professional wrestling show but were afraid to ask.

A SEMINAR HOSTED BY VINCE RUSSO

During the years of 1995-2012, Vince Russo was one of the most controversial figures in the history of sports entertainment/professional wrestling, while serving as the head writer of all three major wrestling companies, WWE, WCW and TNA.

During that tenure, Russo wrote over a thousand televised wrestling shows--which achieved some of the highest ratings of all time-- while also having a hand in helping create some of the biggest stars in the history of the business. From Stone Cold Steve Austin to “The Rock”, Russo has written for just about anybody who’s anybody in the world of sports entertainment/pro wrestling.

Whether it was in front of the camera, or behind the scenes, Russo has played an influential part in helping to bring the drama of the squared circle to the forefront of American pop culture.

Now, in this limited engagement and for the first time ever, Russo is going to bring the “behind the curtain” aspect of his job, into the spotlight, by sharing his craft and experience with wrestling fans around the world. In his ground-breaking seminar entitled, “Baby Faces, Blade Jobs, and Booking, “, Russo is going to share first hand, what it takes to be a successful writer in the world of sports entertainment/professional wrestling.

Just some of the topics Russo will be covering in this no-holds-barred presentation:

· Where to get your start in writing for a professional wrestling organization.

· How to use the experience you’ve built to get in the door of one of the major companies

· How to create larger-than-life personas and personalities

· Writing effective dialogue for specific characters

· How to format a wrestling show

· How to generate new ideas 52-weeks out of the year

· How to present and sell your idea to a talent

· How to create a successful working environment between talent and writer

· Dealing with egos

· Overcoming writer’s block

· Avoiding the pitfalls of politics

· How to generate ratings

· The difference between “writing” a show and “booking” a show

Baby Faces, Blade Jobs and Booking; nothing will no longer be sacred!!

:facepalm:

· Where to get your start in writing for a professional wrestling organization.

"Host a radio show talking shit about a product so much that they hire you to shut you up."

· How to use the experience you’ve built to get in the door of one of the major companies

"Tell everyone you're responsible for Stone Cold and The Rock. Someone will believe you eventually."

· How to create larger-than-life personas and personalities

"Make sure he's never taken seriously."

· Writing effective dialogue for specific characters

"Say it's a shoot."

· How to format a wrestling show

"Dartboard."

· How to generate new ideas 52-weeks out of the year

"Dartboard."

· How to present and sell your idea to a talent

"We're gonna give you the big push, bro."

· How to create a successful working environment between talent and writer

"Make sure everyone on the roster is on the show every single week."

· Dealing with egos

"Bro, I know. That wasn't my idea. It was the office."

· Overcoming writer’s block

"Dartboard. You should probably buy at least three."

· Avoiding the pitfalls of politics

"Walk out on PPV and talk about how your tired of the bullshit behind that curtain."

· How to generate ratings

"Violence against women and lots of skits. No one's paying for that wrestling shit."

· The difference between “writing” a show and “booking” a show

"Never book a show. It's all about making sure there's as much talking as possible."

What job could Vince Russo offer? He's unemployed.

Ghost writer for his tell all book. About the secret workings of WWE, WCW and TNA. From a man who revolutionised them all.Though the book would probably be full of "THis guy didn't get it, then this guy, and then somehow they didn't understand what I wanted, so we changed the story to something confusing."

I have been listening to my wrestling podcasts today. A few have brought up the idea that the reason for The Rock not having his greatest time with promos is on purpose. The purpose being that if Rock wanted to, he would crush John Cena.

I've had my problems with Cena (being Superman, always Mr. Smile, ect), but the man can bring it in a serious way when the time calls for it. I think his recent promos with/at The Rock somewhat validate that statement. So, to me, the idea that they are holding The Rock back is just plain stupid.

Now, I thought the Rock Concert on RAW was bad, bordering on terrible. Fuck your mom jokes? We Will Rock You? It was really straight bad in my eyes. But I have also not been a fan of most of what The Rock has done since coming back post-Survivor Series. Seeing Rock in the ring is not really that special 'omg' moment that it was around last Wrestlemania.

Officials from WWE told the Bright House Sports network today that they are closing down Florida Championship Wrestling and will not be doing anymore television after the final three shows taped last week air. Bright House airs the FCW shows in Florida.

WWE officials told the network that they are folding the promotion, closing the gym and moving everyone to Stamford, CT. for the time being until they figure out what they are going to do with developmental.

Virtually nobody in WWE was aware of the news, nor could confirm it. It came a shock to those in developmental. It has been known for some time that HHH was going to make major changes in developmental at some point and people had heard about it but nobody knew what the changes would be or when they would take place. Dave Meltzer wrestlingobserver.com

Yeah I know I'm responding to a post almost a year old. But I was thinking about this in respects to a joke I was making on Facebook after a friend joked about The Rock being responsible for Cena's car accident Monday.

My first thought was to make a wisecrack about Rikishi's* whereabouts at the time, then just before posted I checked Wikipedia to make sure Rikishi was still alive at this point. The latter really is a sad commentary of the mortality rate of professional wrestlers.

*For those too young to remember the storyline from 1999-2000. The champion heading into 1999's Survivor Series, Stone Cold Steve Austin had been set for neck surgery, so they kayfabed him being run over by a speeding car during the show.

When the time came to bring Austin back, they returned to that night to do a whole "who done it" angle. Turns out it was the happy and overweight dancing fool Rikishi, turning heel, who said he "did it for The Rock!" Unbenownst to The Rock (they are real life family members, not sure what generation of cousins) of course.

Yeah I know I'm responding to a post almost a year old. But I was thinking about this in respects to a joke I was making on Facebook after a friend joked about The Rock being responsible for Cena's car accident Monday.

My first thought was to make a wisecrack about Rikishi's* whereabouts at the time, then just before posted I checked Wikipedia to make sure Rikishi was still alive at this point. The latter really is a sad commentary of the mortality rate of professional wrestlers.

*For those too young to remember the storyline from 1999-2000. The champion heading into 1999's Survivor Series, Stone Cold Steve Austin had been set for neck surgery, so they kayfabed him being run over by a speeding car during the show.

When the time came to bring Austin back, they returned to that night to do a whole "who done it" angle. Turns out it was the happy and overweight dancing fool Rikishi, turning heel, who said he "did it for The Rock!" Unbenownst to The Rock (they are real life family members, not sure what generation of cousins) of course.

You're thinking of his brother, who was Umaga, he died in 2010.

Having watched slept on it, here are my thoughts on the iPPV.

Judging this based on what the $1.99 price was set this out to be, I think the iPPV was a failure. I listened to an interview with Gabe Sapolsky about this show. The intent was to get more eyes on the product and, hopefully, entice people to buy future shows and DVDs. In that, I feel this failed. In no ways was the show bad, it was enjoyable overall. However, I think more could have been done to introduce people to the product. This felt like show #48643 rather than a jumping on point for people. I'm not saying that every character needs to be fully introduced (although the Johnny Gargano video package shown before the show and during intermission was pretty damn good.) Just take five minutes toward the beginning of the show to explain the stable aspect, the titles, perhaps even the ties to Evolve/Dragon Gate.

The commentary was an issue post intermission. Not saying I was blown away beforehand, but adding Arik Cannon to the last two matches just took away from the in-ring action. Randomly, this was my first iPPV, and the stream froze three times and the audio un-synced for a few minutes. Sami Callihan and Masato Yoshino both did a good job of promoting the next show (which is today). However, the card, as of 11AM the day of the show, only has 3 matches announced.

As a DGUSA show, I was entertained. I just feel like this is a missed opportunity for company.